Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Removing Transfer Case - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Removing Transfer Case - NEED HELP

Hi all,

I am trying to remove my transfer case and not having much luck. I have all 4 of the axles and half shafts out, got it unbolted from the transmission and got the driveshaft off the back of it.

Now HOW DO I GET IT OUT? I can't imagine I have to remove the whole front subframe and the steering rack. I can't imagine I would have to remove the trasmission to get it out. Do I need to get a better imagination or am I missing something?

I have an appointment with TRE coming up to get the TC rebuilt and my Quaife installed and I need to get this figured out ASAP. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it isn't very fun with the limited amount of room. But i have found it the easiest to take off the back portion of the t-case first, then unbolt the other portion from the engine and slowly work it's way out.

If you are only doing an upgraded diff then there is really no need to pull the whole case out. you can take off the front cover off from the passenger side and take out the carrier housing for the diff.

Good luck.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
getting the subframe off isn't really that difficult.

here is mine

Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

I thought about just replacing the diff, but recently I have noticed alot more gear noise, so I thought that I should have the ring and pinion checked to see if there is too much play.

I looked at taking the back "nose" off of the TC. If I just unbolt the 6 or so bolts holding it to the pumpkin part of the TC does it just slide off? And when reinstalling, will I have to get a new gasket or use some RTV there? Thanks!

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

For the subframe, I saw 2 17 or 19mm bolts on each side and 1 14mm on each side. The part I have no clue about was how to disconnect the steering rack. Any tips?

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=131349
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

^ yep, I read that. Doesn't go into removing the whole TC though.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

the ring gear is on the outside of the carrier housing.

Yeah once you get those 6 or so bolts of of the back portion it will slide back and off. There will be a metal gasket that goes there, be carefull not to bend it or damage it. Then you can undo the other remaining bolts holding the t-case portion to the engine and take it off. It will take a little convincing but it will come out.

*edit* no you don't need to use rtv silicone there. also, it is not absolutely needed to take out the intermediate shaft to remove the case because you can pry it back and pop it off the clip. but if you do want to take it out to make things a little smoother make sure you get a slide/pull hammer to pull the shaft out of the tranny. this is the shaft that your drivers side axle goes into (so this is the side you want to pull it out from)

Good luck

Last edited by WHTEVO; Jan 31, 2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

When I removed mine recently it wasn't fun. I was pulling the tranny too. It turned out we could get the TC out until the tranny was out and we shifted the engine as far forward in the engine bay as we could. Then and only then would the TC come out in one piece.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im helping remove the T/C, Does anyone else have any ideas?
Taking off the tranny could be done but there has to be an better way...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

did you get this done? as I maybe removing a tc myself
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

I've done it with dropping the subframe before, it's not too bad, it's not nearly as heavy as you think. Without a helper I would not even consider it.

There is another way though also. If you disconnect the LICP, UICP at the throtle body, remove the radiator hoses and radiator, disconnect the front and rear motor mounts, then put a jack under the front motor mount and go up as high as possible you *can pull the TC without touching the front subframe*.

I did the second method last week on an 05 when we were already pulling the engine, method one took me a total of 2.5hrs with a helper, method 2 only took 1.75hrs.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

Damn this guy (^) is good, thanks man, sounds much easier. So if all ihave to do is pull out the TC then this is the way to go. Also with your second way, would you need to remove the tail of the TC or does it come out as a whole unit, thanks again

Last edited by damianhindley; Apr 24, 2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, we got 'r done. We ended up using a combination of the two ideas. We disconnected the lower and passenger motor mounts and raised the engine an inch or so, and also loosened up the 6 bolts holding the subframe and dropped it 3/4" or so. Then with a bit of finagling the TC popped right out. Putting it back in was even easier (we did take the tail section off for a bit more clearance). Took a total of 2 hours or so to have the car back together with a couple people working on it.

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

glad to here you got her done

Quick Reply: Removing Transfer Case - NEED HELP