Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fuel Cell Conversion w/ part numbers and price

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are you going to do for wiring?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bolsen
Trina, great info. Did you ever give Dave a call?
If you mean your fabricator, no I havent. I didnt get his number... I forgot to check that other thread for awhile. I actually got a good deal finally on a very good shop in the Chicago area.

About making the firewall to make it legal it wouldnt cost anything at all really. There are two ways... first, make a case around the cell to enclose it (Like a battery box) or when you remove the back of the rear seat there is a big X member. You would just need to put a sheet of metal on that completely enclosing the trunk. Then you wouldnt need a battery box or box surrounding the cell. To make the bottom of the cell compliant you will need to make a small box surrounding the sump of the cell but that is cheap if the tracks actually care about it.

As for the weight savings of this it all depends on how far you go on removing parts. The AN lines are obviously alot heavier than the stock metal lines. The cell is obviously alot lighter than the tank. The pump is heavier than the walbro. The filters about the same. All in all I would say it would only be 20-30lbs lighter if you didnt cut any holes in the trunk. Since you need to at least cut a large hole for the sump you will lose alot of weight right there. If you really go nuts you could shave alot of weight by removing the whole trunk floor.

Since I am installing the cage at the same time I will be losing alot of weight all together hopefully. The cage is going to be around 120lbs I think with paint and the window net and everything. The seats in going in weigh alot less so I will probably save 40lbs with both seats. Then under the dash I will probably remove the very large brace that ties the right to left side of the car together (Since its a 10point cage it already has one). The heater core is going to leave, I found a good alternative to keep me warm in the winter. Ill run coolant lines into the car and run a portable heater then when it gets warmer Ill remove the heater and the lines. Thats probably 30lbs all-together for the heater crap. The passenger side airbag alone weighed a decent amount.... I can only imagine what the rest of the stuff weighs. Ill also be cutting out the doors and gutting them... you can see how it will all add up.

Last edited by TrinaBabe; Feb 2, 2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

I havent decided on the wiring yet. I will probably leech it off the stock wiring but then I dont know about the whole low power / high power circuit. Either way I will need to wire in a kill switch for the pump inside the car so I will most likely find the fuel pump relay and intersect the on/off pole with a switch. That way not only will the EMS control the relay but I can manually override it to shut it off.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I havent decided on the wiring yet. I will probably leech it off the stock wiring but then I dont know about the whole low power / high power circuit. Either way I will need to wire in a kill switch for the pump inside the car so I will most likely find the fuel pump relay and intersect the on/off pole with a switch. That way not only will the EMS control the relay but I can manually override it to shut it off.
Trina, have you ever thought about getting a new wire harness? We got a place in rockford that does total custom work. If you're going to get rid of all the extra stuff like speakers and window motors, etc, might as well get rid of the wiring too.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and btw, give Dave a call. Tell him what you are doing and what you want. It'd be worth asking him what he can do for you. (Considering he used to build fuel tanks for jets)
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Id like to re-do the wire harness but I cant get my car likes yours.. stripping it down that far and removing the whole harness and redoing it.... I did it once on a true race car. My RX7... the problem is that car only has 5 switches and 3 relays. Headlights / Running Lights, Brake Lights, Fuel pump and Ignition and the radiator fan. Doing a whole harness for mine would be a serious PITA. Send me a PM with Daves number.. Ill give him a call. The other problem is I dont have a race budget If only I could get a discount rate in return for some advertisement.. I got lots of space on my pos
Old Feb 2, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Id like to re-do the wire harness but I cant get my car likes yours.. stripping it down that far and removing the whole harness and redoing it.... I did it once on a true race car. My RX7... the problem is that car only has 5 switches and 3 relays. Headlights / Running Lights, Brake Lights, Fuel pump and Ignition and the radiator fan. Doing a whole harness for mine would be a serious PITA. Send me a PM with Daves number.. Ill give him a call. The other problem is I dont have a race budget If only I could get a discount rate in return for some advertisement.. I got lots of space on my pos
ha! Don't we all wish we had a race budget! Tho I don't see why you can't do it. I mean, you are pulling full interior, etc, etc. Pulling the motor would be a couple hour job!

You've got PM
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

any pics of ur setup please?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 04:56 PM

II know this thread is now 14 years old lol, but do you remember what you did for wiring, I doubt stock wiring will be able to handle an A-1000 pump. I just bought my first evo and found your thread on your system to be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!