Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Have some ???s on new gt3076r turbo kit.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have some ???s on new gt3076r turbo kit.

I bought a pieced together turbo kit from an evom.net member and have some Question on how to make run better. I'm looking for the most but reliable power.

I'm running the stock intake into the turbo(4" to 2.5") How much will a 4" setup help.

I have the cam gears set at -2,-2. Any other cam timing help top end up to 7800rpm.

The wastegate is set at 23psi and tapers down to 20psi. Will my boost controller fix the tapering like the stock turbo?

I'm having to deal with stock injectors for now. I added 7-9% on a SAFC of fuel over my Dynoflash and has no knock but has a few misfires when driven hard. A dumb ?, but is it safe for now?

I'm going to tune my AFR's today with a wideband. What AFR's should I aim for right now and what gear should I use?

I am mainly looking for the most power and lag is not an issue because it doesnt bother me. Any help would be appreciated to get this kit running good.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII

I'm running the stock intake into the turbo(4" to 2.5") How much will a 4" setup help.

I have the cam gears set at -2,-2. Any other cam timing help top end up to 7800rpm.

The wastegate is set at 23psi and tapers down to 20psi. Will my boost controller fix the tapering like the stock turbo?

I'm having to deal with stock injectors for now. I added 7-9% on a SAFC of fuel over my Dynoflash and has no knock but has a few misfires when driven hard. A dumb ?, but is it safe for now?
A 4" intake wont help much if your still useing the stock MAF senor.

You could try -3, -3 cam setting that should move the power more to the higher rpm's

I would look into getting new injectors soon because your stocks ones wont flow enough for that turbo. You might also want to decrease the gap on your plugs if your getting misfires at full boost.

You should also get a tune ASAP! If you drive it hard now you might end up needing a new motor.

Last edited by Eclipsed Evo; Feb 1, 2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I bought a pieced together turbo kit from an evom.net member and have some Question on how to make run better. I'm looking for the most but reliable power.

I'm going to tune my AFR's today with a wideband. What AFR's should I aim for right now and what gear should I use?

I am mainly looking for the most power and lag is not an issue because it doesnt bother me. Any help would be appreciated to get this kit running good.
Ok I will try to answer your question as good as possible.

A 4" will not help you unless you are pushing alot of power with alot of mods and running speed density. At that point the power gain is still not huge but every little bit helps. Not much of a point to worry about right now for you in my opinion.

On the same turbo I run HKS 280in and 272ex at -1,-1 to achieve from what I can tell as the best all around power. -2,-2 did help spoolup just a bit but I lost mid range torque and alittle bit of topend hp.

An EBC or MBC will fix the boost taper.

The stock injectors are probably getting close to the edge especially in cold weather when intake temps are low. When adding fuel it probably isn't helping them any but you are probably too rich in some areas. Al tunes his cars to make good power but with a very safe AFR. I would probably won't add more than 5% only on top if that much depending on your mods. It is probably ok but I wouldn't drive it hard without knowing the afrs, rather safe than sorry becuase the last thing you want to do is end up poping the motor for a very simple mistake.

For more power, get a good set of injectors and fuel pump then a good tune and thats all you need (if you have all the other supporting parts)

Good luck
Old Feb 1, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

You should also get some ARP head studs soon before running high boost.

When I still had the stock turbo my injector duty cycle was around 90% with the setup I have now other then the turbo. There was no way my stock injectors were going to flow enough with an upgraded turbo.

I did also try 3 cam setting on a dyno. The -3,-3 was the best for high end power while a 0,0 gave me a touch better spool.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ok thanks for the info. BTW, does anyone know if Al has a mail in flash for my setup? It would be for the mods in my sig, bigger injectors, and the kit. No AWD dynos in Oklahoma.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

What AFR's should I go for and in what gear should use, 3rd or 4th? I know that both gears show different AFR's, I just want to get everything straight.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone know?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
ez
Evolving Member

A decent starting place is 11.5 through 4th gear...

What AFR's should I go for and in what gear should use, 3rd or 4th? I know that both gears show different AFR's, I just want to get everything straight.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

It would help to know what type of kit you have.Is it a true garret turbo w/4bolt turbine hausing or atp type kit?What type of exh. manifold are you running.Any pics of the kit.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

I'm using the RnR Racing Standard Manifold. The turbine housing is welded directly to the outlet, so no bolts. The compresser housing has a 4" inlet with a ported shroud.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Last night, I had my g/f do some 4th gear pulls on the highway up to 6800rpm. The ARF's were from 10.2 to 9.9, so I guess my injectors are still holding up. I took about 2-3% out, but I'm still not impressed. I get a little knock on the SAFC but I dont really think it is right half the time. So a normal aftermarket 3" intake should be my best bet as far as the intake goes?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for more help
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Is your ECU flashed for the stock turbo?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Last night, I had my g/f do some 4th gear pulls on the highway up to 6800rpm. The ARF's were from 10.2 to 9.9, so I guess my injectors are still holding up. I took about 2-3% out, but I'm still not impressed. I get a little knock on the SAFC but I dont really think it is right half the time. So a normal aftermarket 3" intake should be my best bet as far as the intake goes?
You won't be impressed compaired to the stock turbo until you get a good tune on it. You will have to make several changes to the ign timing and fuel supply. Especially to get the turbo to react better upon spoolup, right now it probably feels like a laggy slob.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eclipsed Evo
Is your ECU flashed for the stock turbo?
The Ecu is flashed for the stock turbo and the AFR's were a solid 10.8 to 7000rpm where it went to 11.0 in 4th gear. Today I did some Lm-1 tuning. Starting out, I was at 9.9 to 10.2. I add 7-8% more fuel over the flashed up to 8000rpm to get there to be safe at first. Then I took out more fuel from 5500 to 8000 rpm due to the boost taper. But when watching the AFR's, it got leaner as it when up, around 10.5. Finally I set it to 10.8-11.0 as best as I could, but the stupid SAFC was showing knock, even on the water injection. I wish I could get a mail-in flash, becase I have to drive a long way to get to an AWD dyno, and I have no time for that. Any suggestions?