Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hyper Ground System...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one from Ralliart doesn't cost that much Less than $300 for sure??? Where is the red one from Mitsubishi from. OEM??
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:54 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed custom hyper-ground system. Exactly like the kit pictured above at less than half the price.

Last edited by jfh; Apr 27, 2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 01:56 PM

No offence, but even $100 seems very expensive… I bought 10 feet of 6 gauge for $2.75 at the hardware store (Lowes), 4 guage wire was less than $4. The wire is good quality stranded copper with a glossy red or black GAS/OIL resistant finish. It seems like you could use the stock wiring for a template and do this for less than $10 including decent connectors.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 06:31 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cdavy
No offence, but even $100 seems very expensive… I bought 10 feet of 6 gauge for $2.75 at the hardware store (Lowes), 4 guage wire was less than $4. The wire is good quality stranded copper with a glossy red or black GAS/OIL resistant finish. It seems like you could use the stock wiring for a template and do this for less than $10 including decent connectors.
If you can build them for less than $10.00 you should. If you can make sure that they fit, ground at all the proper locations, work as good as the kit, come complete with illustrated directions, and a warranty you can easily sell them to alot of people on this forum for $50.00.

If you really feel industrious, I know where to get 2 1/2" aluminum tubing for under $5 a foot. About 10 feet ought to be enough for an intercooler pipe kit with enough left over for an intake pipe.

Last edited by jfh; Apr 27, 2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 07:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by cdavy
I bought 10 feet of 6 gauge for $2.75 at the hardware store (Lowes), 4 guage wire was less than $4. The wire is good quality stranded copper with a glossy red or black GAS/OIL resistant finish. It seems like you could use the stock wiring for a template and do this for less than $10 including decent connectors.
Try 12 feet of 4 guage wire, with 4 guage high quality ring connectors on the end. Total of 12 feet, 8 connectors. Each of the connectors run about $5/pair, silver solder and and about 2 hours of time.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone have the kit directions/template. This would be a good do it yourselfer for those of us (i.e. me) who have little experience with new cars (the last car i built was a '66 dodge coronet).
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jfh

If you can build them for less than $10.00 you should. If you can make sure that they fit, ground at all the proper locations, work as good as the kit, come complete with illustrated directions, and a warranty you can easily sell them to alot of people on this forum for $50.00.

If you really feel industrious, I know where to get 2 1/2" aluminum tubing for under $5 a foot. About 10 feet ought to be enough for an intercooler pipe kit with enough left over for an intake pipe.
Noting your obvious sarcasm, your comparison is quite ridiculous. It's like saying "oh, you think you can build a paper airplane as good as Mitsubishi? Well while you're at it, why don't you build a space shuttle as good as theirs too, if you're feeling industrious?"
There's really no rocket science involved in making a grounding system and unless you are setting out to cause problems, you would be hard-pressed to damage anything and void your warranty.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:18 PM

To put some perspective on the pricing, here is an exerpt from HKS on their Circle Earth groundin system:

Circular Grounding System - By utilizing a 24 karat gold plated distribution block and multiple grounding points, improved idle and drivability are often obtained as the additional grounding points equalize resistance and voltage between various ground points. Each 8 guage spiral twined cable is wrapped with signature HKS purple plastic to protect and add color to the Circle Earth System. Vehicle specific kits included pre-measured cable lengths and distribution blocks

a little bit better quality of materials than the do-it-yourself brand. Of course, the price at options auto salon is only $125 before shipping, so I think mistu might be overcharging just a bit.
Old May 1, 2003, 08:32 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Liandrin11

Noting your obvious sarcasm, your comparison is quite ridiculous. It's like saying "oh, you think you can build a paper airplane as good as Mitsubishi? Well while you're at it, why don't you build a space shuttle as good as theirs too, if you're feeling industrious?"
There's really no rocket science involved in making a grounding system and unless you are setting out to cause problems, you would be hard-pressed to damage anything and void your warranty.
You are correct that I was obviously being sarcastic, perhaps unfairly. My point was that the $10 budget solution you proposed was not a fair comparison of materials and it failed to consider the time to fabricate, and the knowledge required to design an effective system.

Can it be done for less than $100 with quality 4awg, oxygen free, multi-strand audio quality cables, gold-plate terminals, and silver soldered junctions and terminals? Sure it can. Is a model specific application designed by automotive engineers more likely to meet the grounding requirements than an ad hoc hardware store solution that follows the less than optimal stock wiring layout? Without question. Do I value my time and factor it into the overall cost of the solution? Always. And from that perspective, I am satisfied with the value of my purchase.

Because you can fabricate a primitive communications capability with 2 tin cans and some string, does not mean that your solution is better or more effective than a telephone, only that it is cheaper.

Last edited by jfh; May 1, 2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 1, 2003, 09:43 PM

jfh,

To be clear, this isn't exactly rocket science. Secondly, the additional points to attach the add-on ground cables are not exactly hidden secrets. I imagine a perusing of the internet would reveal pictures of kits installed on the Evo and where the grounding points need to be. That said, it sounds like the time saved and knowledge a big company made it, makes the kit worth it for you at that price. For me, a little time and effort and a large savings make the higher priced kits not worth it for me.

Derek
Old May 1, 2003, 10:06 PM

I was only making the point that it is fairly easy to make one of a decent quality for much less than $100-300... It is not very difficult to make this with good connectors and good wire. I was simply sharing my view on this...

Honestly, a multi-meter will likely show that using materials like gold connectors, silver solder, etc will do very little to reduce resistance on a few feet of any decent copper wire... I would go further to point out that using 4 gauge wire instead of the 6 gauge wire is of little to no benefit... Obviously HKS must agree as it was mentioned that they use 8 gauge wire in that kit.

Just as we all like to see dyno results of mods, it would be interesting to test the resistance of these "kits" to see if there is any real difference... I highly doubt there would be enough benefit to justify the added cost... I plan to do this for about $10 as I mentioned and the connectors and wire are really not of a poor quality.

Sorry to have offended...
Old May 1, 2003, 10:43 PM

cdavy, i'm gonna have to agree with you here. This is not rocket science. Those fancy connections that are gold plated, silver plated, whatever plated, give so little benefit for thier cost. A kit like this can easily be made for less than $20. I'm gonna have to go so far to say that those who are investing over $100 dollars in such a mod is purely a bowl of rice. Next thing on your list should be a hose dressup kit and a billet oil cap. But seriously, most factory ground straps are fine. If you want to add an extra one for good measure, be my guest. But don't spend $100 dollars doing it! Take a good quality multimeter and see how much resistance you are really saving over stock and then you will see that it simply does not justify the expense. A good piece of OFC 8-4awg wire, some solder type ring terminals, and heat shrink tube is all that you need. Just make sure you crimp and solder the ring terminals for a corrosion free connection and use a wire brush to clean both the terminal and the grounding point. If it were me however, I would start looking for other alternative for easy horsepower.

Cheers
rimmie
Old May 1, 2003, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

You could even use Monster 4 gauge or 6 guage wire and buy all gold connectors and the price would still be under $50 and you'd even have nice red cable to match the valve cover. Quality cable, even trendy and expensive Monster cable, is still far less expensive. However, I do concede that I am very lazy at times and will spend more than I need to in order to have someone else do it, but not, I think, on this project .
Old May 3, 2003, 12:44 AM

If anyone's actually going to pay over $100 for some 6 gauge wire and ring connectors...

Give me a break people!
Old May 3, 2003, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

OK guys, the horse is dead. Fireball as well as others have offered cheaper alternatives to name brand grounding kits. Using these kits will gain everyone something. Whether it be looks or the feeling of increased power, there will be happy, well grounded Evo owners in the end.

Quick Reply: Hyper Ground System...