Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Double or Triple Cerematallic?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exedy Double or Triple Cerematallic?

Hey guys. I am trying to decide if I should go with the Exedy Triple Cerematallic Clutch or the Double. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Here let me give you the details.

I currently drive a completely stock IX MR. I have killed the stock clutch and HAVE to replace it with an aftermarket one. Also let me say that the price of the clutch is not a concern. I have no problem with paying more for the triple. My car is a street driven vehicle. It is driven just about every day and tracked VERY often as well. Now here is where my dilemma comes in.

Two things, One my HP goal is about 700-750WHP. While I am completely stock now I will probably be investing enough money to reach this goal within a total of 6-9 months. I dont like to backtrack performance parts so obviously I need a clutch that can handle this power. While I dont have a need for such power abilities this second, I will quite shortly.

The other and main thing is this. I drive the LIVING **** out of my Evo. I mean the CRAP out of it. I drive EVERY SINGLE time I get in it as if I was on the track or rally circuit. I shift at redline, ALWAYS keep it over 4500RPM and launch the damn thing at every takeoff. (refrain from telling me this is bad. OBVIOUSLY we know its not the best thing for the car. Luckily enough for me I can afford to fix what I break and I want to enjoy me close to $40,000 car to the fullest.) This means that I need a clutch that can handle CONSTANT abuse EVERY day. I cant stress how important this aspect is. I mean I literally drive every day as if I am on a track or rally circuit. (once again, please refrain from how bad this is comments).

So here is where we are. I need a clutch that can handle about 700-750WHP when I get to it in about 6-9 months but more importantly a clutch that can handle having the LIVING **** beat out of it every waking moment. The main question that I had is that obviously for the most part the Double would be better for most people in my situation because the car is a street driven vehicle that is driven on a daily baisis. Most complain about the streetability of the double, let alone a triple. However I need to be sure that the clutch can handle the abuse that I will be throwing at it. I have no problem sacrificing some streetability for the knowledge that I dont have to worry about my clutch dying after 8k miles.

Bottom line is this. Based on what was above stated. What do you think is best for my daily driven EVO that will soon have 700-750WHP, that also consequently has the LIVING **** beat out if it EVERY day. The Exedy Triple Ceramatallic or the Exedy Double Cerematallic?

Thanks guys. And once again, please refrain from the comments about how bad my driving is for me, the car, others, etc. It is what it is. I merely want educated opinions and suggestions on my clutch selection. Thanks.

-Sayajin
Old Feb 2, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Once you get over 400whp, post again. Until then, you don't need to upgrade. If you ever reach 700whp, which I doubt (no offense) then you might need the triple. Until then, go with the double. I assume you have about $10,000 laying around, that's how you're talking.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=147510
Old Feb 2, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Once you get over 400whp, post again. Until then, you don't need to upgrade. If you ever reach 700whp, which I doubt (no offense) then you might need the triple. Until then, go with the double. I assume you have about $10,000 laying around, that's how you're talking.

Thanks for the info. However please TRY reading the original post before you reply. It is NOT an option for me to stay stock. I have already killed my stock clutch. I HAVE to upgrade. As for the 700WHP I am not worried about achieving that. It will definitely be done. As I said in my original post, I have the money necessary to play. Thanks for the pot however. Next time just consider actually reading the original before you make a reply. Thanks. Oh and no offense is intended for that matter.

-Sayajin
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

If you plan on pushing that much power i would skip the cerametallic disc's and go with a triple carbon clutch.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sayajin
Thanks for the info. However please TRY reading the original post before you reply. It is NOT an option for me to stay stock. I have already killed my stock clutch. I HAVE to upgrade. As for the 700WHP I am not worried about achieving that. It will definitely be done. As I said in my original post, I have the money necessary to play. Thanks for the pot however. Next time just consider actually reading the original before you make a reply. Thanks. Oh and no offense is intended for that matter.

-Sayajin

figure out how much torque you plan on making, and then talk to the clutch experts. Very, very few people here have experience at that power level, and you'll get a lot of guesses and personal preferences instead of useful feedback.

I don't mean to be critical, but if you plan on making that kind of power, I would think you would already have contacts that could steer you in the right direction on what to do. The fact that you ask a message board, well.... you should expect some "in your face" responses back.

Tilton and RPS come to mind.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Feb 2, 2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

You sound a lot like a freind of mine who is in Atlanta at Topspeed give them a call and ask for Giovanni or Doug. Giovanni went thru clutchs like you he love to launch his Evo and I believe it's far past the WHP you want to achieve. I think the current clutch he has is the Triple Carbon.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
figure out how much torque you plan on making, and then talk to the clutch experts. Very, very few people here have experience at that power level, and you'll get a lot of guesses and personal preferences instead of useful feedback.

I don't mean to be critical, but if you plan on making that kind of power, I would think you would already have contacts that could steer you in the right direction on what to do. The fact that you ask a message board, well.... you should expect some "in your face" responses back.

Tilton and RPS come to mind.
Its cool man I understand. Like I said I intended no disrespect. I am still in the process of establishing decent connects with the EVO. I was big in the DSM scene before I got my evo and most DSM people dont really do TOO much with the evo other than the engine since its the same 4G63. Thanks tho. I have actually talked to a few different vendors and have gotten varying opinions. Thats actually why I am asking the board. Thanks. I just didint want you thinking I was some crazy newbie who has no idea what it takes to achive a specific HP goal. I am just a man who likes to completely research something and make an informed decision from the data collected.

If you plan on pushing that much power i would skip the cerametallic disc's and go with a triple carbon clutch.
I considered this, however a triple carbon is NOT a street clutch really. It is essentially a race clutch that CAN be driven on the street. What I really need is a race clutch that is ALSO a street clutch if you know what I mean. Carbon was the way I was going to go initially but my research led me to find it is not the best way. Thanks tho.

-Sayajin

Last edited by Sayajin; Feb 2, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sayajin
Its cool man I understand. Like I said I intended no disrespect. I am still in the process of establishing decent connects with the EVO. I was big in the DSM scene before I got my evo and most DSM people dont really do TOO much with the evo other than the engine since its the same 4G63. Thanks tho. I have actually talked to a few different vendors and have gotten varying opinions. Thats actually why I am asking the board. Thanks. I just didint want you thinking I was some crazy newbie who has no idea what it takes to achive a specific HP goal. I am just a man who likes to completely research something and make an informed decision from the data collected.

I considered this, however a triple carbon is NOT a street clutch really. It is essentially a race clutch that CAN be driven on the street. What I really need is a race clutch that is ALSO a street clutch if you know what I mean. Carbon was the way I was going to go initially but my research led me to find it is not the best way. Thanks tho.

-Sayajin
I dunno, you may not need to get too crazy on the clutch. I had a 800 ft. lb. torque supra on an RPS clutch that I drove on the street ALOT! Not daily, but pretty damn close (of course not at that power level every day, but it was there when I needed it). It was a single disc setup. Much better engagement than any other clutch I drove, and I drove a lot of clutches. I also know Tilton can work wonders as far as streetability also.

I did most of the R&D for RPS when he was developing his carbon technology for the supra (i.e. I provided the car and drivetrain!). Don't sell em short, they are streetable.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Feb 2, 2006 at 08:44 PM.