Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2003 | 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

In that case, we can just call it the most powerful 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine in the U.S.

Last edited by Yojimbo; Apr 4, 2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2003 | 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have been corrected. The 94 and 95 Lotus Esprit 223kW's had a 300hp 4. I would have to say that this is also one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Even without all wheel drive and insurance that would make my dog $#!T. Oh and it's original price tag. But back to the subject. Does a one minute race burn enough gas to take your mileage from 26 27 area down to 17? And another gripe. Why did Mitsu release a car in the middle of winter, I live in Michigan, without a snow tire option? Man these tires suck. And also nobody makes a snow tire in the size that's on the evo. I got stuck in my flat driveway last night in a inch of snow. But I have to addmit seeing four rooster tails fling up from my car is kinda cool.
Old Apr 6, 2003 | 04:48 AM

Just for the record, I got about 20 miles to the gallon on 3/4 of my gas tank. That ain't bad in my book. The car still has less than 500 miles so gas mileage may still increase, who knows? By the way, I live in california, home of 91 premium unleaded gas and the worse roads!
Old Apr 9, 2003 | 10:09 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

skbydoo

whatcha talking about no snowtires?
Both Blizzak and Nokians make snowtires for this size...
Old Apr 9, 2003 | 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I've been getting 23-26 mpg on the highway.

I bet that when you accelerate up to speed, or to pass, or to go up hills, you give it enough gass to spool the turbo, correct?

The claimed highway mpg was done at 60 mph, with NO boosting.

If you spool the turbo, you will use gas at an alarmingly fast rate.

If I drive more enthusiastically for a week (read: use boost to pass lots of people), I can see my mileage drop to 15-20 mpg....

SC~
Old Apr 9, 2003 | 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

The boost really sucks that much? Well I guess to get that much horsepower it doesn't surprise me. Maybe after I get used to the car I'll be more gentle. It's just so much fun whippin the back end sideways on the go. But back to the mileage, I still think it's crappy that even pokin down the eway at 80 is goin to kill the mileage. Does anyone know if there is a on-off cure for this like a fuel managment system or something. On a fun note has anyone else been doing any doughnuts. It just pivots on one point. Like the Batmobile in Batman Returns. fun fun
Old Apr 10, 2003 | 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Do you like replacing parts? I hope so. Doing donuts will wear out your clutch faster than you can possibly imagine.

Other people are getting the mileage that is quoted by Mitsu. It has nothing to do with engine management. It has to do with foot management. All you have to do to get better mileage is be nicer to the gas pedal. Only give it light inputs. Make sure you do not spool the turbo unless you need it. It's not rocket science.

SC~ who thinks it's funny that skbydoo is complaining about MPG in the same thread that he is bragging about doing donuts.
Old May 28, 2003 | 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Well what do you know some of you were right. I haven't changed my driving habits at all and the mileage just seems to get better and better. The engine just opened up and thing are flowing smoothly. Sorry, I just have never owned a new car before like you all rich monkeys. i'm gettin about 26 mpg cruising back and forth to work at 65. That's with passing full turbo and jumpin every light I see. I've tried to grandma it to see if I can get it higher but something always happens like a Camaro or something.
Old May 30, 2003 | 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

i thought i was getting bad gas mileage but it's better than i thought. i just got 150 miles on 8.5 gallons. that's 17.64 mpg! I've hit boost a lot in that tank as I can't seem to keep my foot off of the throttle. the last 1/4 tank of gas i took it easy. so it could have been worse.
Old Jun 14, 2003 | 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2GTSiAWD
2 - Keep your foot out of it and the mileage will increase.
That's fine advise... keeping the foot off the gas will result in better mileage.... Reading his various posts I can see he drives too hard too much.... I sure would hate to be the second owner of that car!

...Grow up and drive like a normal human and you'll find the cars will perform wonderfully.
Whoa, hold on there.. just what the hell does one buy a car like the EVO for anyway? I don't want an econobox, I wanted (and got) a high performance car. Surely I did not get it to drive it super slowly or to break records in fuel economy Normal humans don't drive EVOs

BTW, 28 mpg in the EVO is a pipe dream. I get 19-20 mpg in everyday driving and I think I got as much as 25 mpg in one tankful of gas in my way to Miami from Atlanta, that's driving conservatively at 65-75 mph (depending on speed limits highway conditions, etc.). I think 17 mpg is a bit low and it might merit a visit to the service department. OTOH, I remember driving my Miata at the track and averaging somewhat less than 10 mpg!! Normally those cars can get 28-30 mpg on the highway
So it does make a huge difference in mileage if you open her up and drive hard, even for a short time...

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jun 14, 2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2003 | 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silverEVO8
[B]

Reading his various posts I can see he drives too hard too much.... I sure would hate to be the second owner of that car!

I hope you weren't talking about me. It's funny if you were because I also own a 93 Saturn, no jokes please, with 265,000 miles on it and a 94 3000GT with 235,000 miles on it. Both running strong.
Old Jun 15, 2003 | 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by skbydoo
I hope you weren't talking about me. It's funny if you were because I also own a 93 Saturn, no jokes please, with 265,000 miles on it and a 94 3000GT with 235,000 miles on it. Both running strong.
I was definitely talking about you... I was going to defend you but then I read:

It's just so much fun whippin the back end sideways on the go ............................ I still think it's crappy that even pokin down the eway at 80 is goin to kill the mileage .............................. On a fun note has anyone else been doing any doughnuts. It just pivots on one point. Like the Batmobile in Batman Returns. fun fun
Whipping the car sideways on the go?.... Poking down the freeway at 80mph?...... Donuts pivoting on one point?....

Helloooo, earth calling skbydoo.. Anybody home? Hellooo?? Those things you are talking about are not exactly "driving gently".... Oh, BTW if you drive that Saturn and that 3000 GT the same way, it is a f**king miracle they still run unless you've spent a fortune having them repaired.....

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jun 15, 2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2003 | 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Don't know how much it works out to in MPG, but today I got just 60 miles by the time it hit the half tank mark
Mind you I was driving pretty hard

Normally I get about 220 to the tank.
Old Jun 15, 2003 | 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Well first of all poking dwon the freeway at 80 in Michigan is going pretty slow. I still have minivans and stationwagons passing me. Second, the doughnuts were on about 3 inches of ice in a parking lot. Third, no excuse for third I'm tearing the tires off jekin the car sideways off the launch around corners. But anyhow, The cars I drive are used in the fashion in which they were built for. The GT has great topend so more often then not she's somewhere around there. But It's nice knowing that i can settle down and still pull 36 miles to the gallon. The Saturn, well it's just nice to have a car that I don't have to worry about getting dirty. And the Evo It was design for speed, handling and overall performance. It would be nice if it were more like my GT. I didn't buy the car to be a trailer queen. I'm sorry if I have offended the wise and all mighty SilverEvo8. P.S. The GT had 197,000 miles before anything had to be repaired. The back of the water pumped cracked. $15 dollars later it still does about 160. I gave the Saturn an overhaul at 118 when I bought it from my brother and haven't done a thing to it since.
Old Jun 16, 2003 | 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Well first of all poking dwon the freeway at 80 in Michigan is going pretty slow. I still have minivans and stationwagons passing me.
Hey, I'm sure that they drive like that in Michigan. People in Atlanta drive very fast too, but I try not to do it because I don't want speeding trickets..Anyway, poking at 80 is no way to get gas mileage in any car that I've ever had

Second, the doughnuts were on about 3 inches of ice in a parking lot. Third, no excuse for third I'm tearing the tires off jekin the car sideways off the launch around corners. But anyhow, The cars I drive are used in the fashion in which they were built for.
Hey, you wrote all that stuff, I did not make it up... Now you are trying to explain it away after complaining about poor gas mileage??

I didn't buy the car to be a trailer queen. I'm sorry if I have offended the wise and all mighty SilverEvo8. P.S.
Hey, that's cool.. You can drive the dog **** out of your car.. I'm not offended at all, and as far as me being high and mighty..

The GT had 197,000 miles before anything had to be repaired. The back of the water pumped cracked. $15 dollars later it still does about 160. I gave the Saturn an overhaul at 118 when I bought it from my brother and haven't done a thing to it since.
Methinks thou protests too much Hey, If you dont want to get responses, why do you post such troll-like statements? Anyway, enjoy your car and do with it as you will... I'm not opposed to you doing whatever you want with your stuff... I'm not offended by your actions either Why should I be? Hell dude, all I say is that the way you wrote about driving your car it's no wonder your gas mileage sucks....

Oh yeah, I'd still hate to be the second owner of your car