Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dyno Evo on a 2wd Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dyno Evo on a 2wd Dyno?

Does anyone know how Buschur and AMS used to tune and dyno awd cars on a 2wd dyno? Do they remove the driveshaft? Im in Oklahoma and we only have 2wd dynos, I dont care about the power, I just need a tune really bad.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS did, used the front wheels for the dyno, and yes they had to disconnect something. Call them, they will tell your "shop" how to do it. Good luck.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
Does anyone know how Buschur and AMS used to tune and dyno awd cars on a 2wd dyno? Do they remove the driveshaft? Im in Oklahoma and we only have 2wd dynos, I dont care about the power, I just need a tune really bad.
If you want to get tuned badly, I don't recommend doing it on a 2wd dyno...
Old Feb 4, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

It is just a tune to get my turbo kit working right.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

But tuning it on 2 wheels on a Dyno will be absolutely nothing like 4 wheels on the road. That sounds like a bad idea to me, but perhaps you can call Dave and ask him what they used to do on their 2wd dyno in this situation.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
But tuning it on 2 wheels on a Dyno will be absolutely nothing like 4 wheels on the road. That sounds like a bad idea to me, but perhaps you can call Dave and ask him what they used to do on their 2wd dyno in this situation.
Of course it won't be the same on the road because you lose power thru the drivetrain, but you can still tune the mixture and timing if there is direct control of timing. That is like saying you can't tune an awd car using the same method you use on fwd or rwd cars.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know if ams still use 2wd dyno?
Old Feb 4, 2006, 02:33 PM

If you don't have a wideband datalogging setup with that list of mods you have, you really should. Any competent tuner can give you a great tune on the street. Where do you drive your car, on the dyno or on the street?
Old Feb 4, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

You have AWD not 2wd, use a awd dyno.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
Of course it won't be the same on the road because you lose power thru the drivetrain, but you can still tune the mixture and timing if there is direct control of timing. That is like saying you can't tune an awd car using the same method you use on fwd or rwd cars.
Huh? How is he going to give the proper AFRs and timing with power only going to 2 wheels? RWD/FWD cars can tune on 2 wheels, because they only have power going to 2 wheels. Tuning his car on 2 wheels then pushing power through 4 wheels on the road would completely throw off the tune.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

We sold our 2wd Dynojet in favor for a shiney new 424x awd dynojet.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Huh? How is he going to give the proper AFRs and timing with power only going to 2 wheels? RWD/FWD cars can tune on 2 wheels, because they only have power going to 2 wheels. Tuning his car on 2 wheels then pushing power through 4 wheels on the road would completely throw off the tune.

A car driven on the road will all ways be different from the road no matter what. There is no way you can stimulate how much air is coming at the car once you are driving anyways. Airfuel is just what it is air and fuel what does that have to do with the 2 wheels it goes to. So i guess when the tune these motors using engine dyno's the air fuel is off also. It may be flywheel hp, but the mixture is still tuned. When it is put into the car it loses the power, but that has nothing to do with air fuel that is all drivetrain loss.

Last edited by mchuang; Feb 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

It is not just the timing and air fuel ratio. The actual load on the car will be different. If your tuner can't get the car running nice enough on the street then I wouldn't have them tune my car.

Maybe AMS or Buschur can chime in on this.

Ben
Old Feb 6, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Knower
If you don't have a wideband datalogging setup with that list of mods you have, you really should. Any competent tuner can give you a great tune on the street. Where do you drive your car, on the dyno or on the street?
I have been tuning with an LM-1.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

You can not just dyno a viscous coupled AWD car in 2wd mode. You need to have a welded center diff or VCE. This is apparently much more difficult to do on an EVO than a DSM. Both Buschur and AMS made this work prior to owning their AWD dynos.

Quick Reply: Dyno Evo on a 2wd Dyno?