Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

forge unos mbc installed.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
forge unos mbc installed.

i installed the forge unos mbc today and its great. i have the soft spring in it now. it is set at 19 psi and drops to 18psi by redline. tomarrow i will put the stiffer pring in and turn the boost up to 20psi. install was really fast and easy. i have never done one befor and it went great. i found a few how to's on this site with some pics and diagrams that helped alot. took about 40 min at most. now i think im going to get the forge w/g/a to eliminate boost taper for good. or at least i hope. il update you all soon on how the stiffer sring works and then the w/g/a.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by truedefekt; May 2, 2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan, definitely put in the stiff spring, but then turn down the MBC knob all the way to minimum. Go out and test the boost, then slowly adjust the knob until you get to 20-21psi. The Forge WGA is not really something you buy to eliminate boost taper completely. The turbo needs to taper down, because it can't maintain high boost at high rpms due to its inefficiencies, but when you start running high boost on race gas or alky, then it will come in handy, because it will help you maintain 24-27psi longer before the eventual taper at high rpm.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truedefekt
i installed my mbc from forge as well but the spring that came already inside the mbc was teh suck.. for me at least it would only boost to 16psi all the way turned up.. I then took the stiffer spring and installed that woohoo 19psi all the way to redline.. my 03 with just that mod can now sit side by side a stock 06 STi (my friends) my only concern is why the boost is 19 1-4th gear but on my 5th its 21psi ? great mbc and easy install, although i did have to take off my stock airbox and my underneath black thingy ( diffuser? )
maby you installed the spring rong. i started with the soft spring. turned the mbc all the way down and did some highway pulls and slowly ajusted it. i found a graff on here that said about how maby clicks for each psi. mine was dead on to it. so im at 90 clicks (all the way up) at 19 psi.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Dan, definitely put in the stiff spring, but then turn down the MBC knob all the way to minimum. Go out and test the boost, then slowly adjust the knob until you get to 20-21psi. The Forge WGA is not really something you buy to eliminate boost taper completely. The turbo needs to taper down, because it can't maintain high boost at high rpms due to its inefficiencies, but when you start running high boost on race gas or alky, then it will come in handy, because it will help you maintain 24-27psi longer before the eventual taper at high rpm.
i did not know this. BUT will the w/g/a help in boost taper. what i meen is i understand that the boost will taper but if i install a forge w/g/a will it happen at a higher rpm then what it is now.

when i put the stiffer spring in i planed on turning it all the way down. will that be 20 psi or will i have to ajust some. i will do the same thing anyway *** i did with the soft spring but just trying to get a head start on what will go on.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

the only thing im worried about is taking it apart to put the stiffer spring in. i here alot of problems of the spring not siting right.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

No worries, dan. The UNOS is very easy to take apart and reassemble. The reason why people have problems with the spring is they don't realize that it has to be fully-seated on the nipple. They just kinda throw it in the cylinder with the ball on top, but that doesn't work. You will find that the stiff spring doesn't sit right on the nipple. You have to work it on there, but once you get it, it will stay. In fact, it will stand straight up without you holding it, because it's a tight fit. Once you do this, put the ball in the other half of the UNOS, then put the two halves together and screw them together.

With the stiff spring set at minimum, no, it won't be at 20psi. It should be more like 16-17psi, then it will take 8-12 clicks to get to 20psi PROBABLY, but don't rely on that. Tune it a few clicks at a time until it's perfect.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

No worries, dan. The UNOS is very easy to take apart and reassemble. The reason why people have problems with the spring is they don't realize that it has to be fully-seated on the nipple. They just kinda throw it in the cylinder with the ball on top, but that doesn't work. You will find that the stiff spring doesn't sit right on the nipple. You have to work it on there, but once you get it, it will stay. In fact, it will stand straight up without you holding it, because it's a tight fit. Once you do this, put the ball in the other half of the UNOS, then put the two halves together and screw them together.

With the stiff spring set at minimum, no, it won't be at 20psi. It should be more like 16-17psi, then it will take 8-12 clicks to get to 20psi PROBABLY, but don't rely on that. Tune it a few clicks at a time until it's perfect.
lmao. i took it apart and i cant get the stiff spring on. im like wtf. so i came on to post about this and you just told me. sweet. thanks for reading my mind.

as for the psi seting. i will do like i did befor and also as you said. il keep this thread posted. also im going to find all the good info i got and post for others. bbs

p.s. i member someone saying to grease the ball. should i leave it alone or what.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

ok it is in. spring was set right on the nipple. lol i took it apart and it shot across the room. sweet.

p.s. i did not grease the ball. going to dial it in now. brb
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
ok it is in. spring was set right on the nipple. lol i took it apart and it shot across the room. sweet.

p.s. i did not grease the ball. going to dial it in now. brb
The greasing is not necessary unless you have issues with boost. I haven't greased mine, but if you do grease it, be sure to use FULLY SYNTHETIC grease.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

The greasing is not necessary unless you have issues with boost. I haven't greased mine, but if you do grease it, be sure to use FULLY SYNTHETIC grease.
ok. well im leaving now to dial it in. i will also keep that in mind. brb with an update.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

ok i had to turn it 18 clicks. im pushing 19.5 in 1st and second but in 3rd and 4th im pushing 20 almost 20.5. what do i do.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
ok i had to turn it 18 clicks. im pushing 19.5 in 1st and second but in 3rd and 4th im pushing 20 almost 20.5. what do i do.
Nothing.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be getting my mbc in a couple days. Pretty excited.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

why is it doing this tho. i would of did 5th gear to but i wasent gonna do 400mph.

Quick Reply: forge unos mbc installed.