Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing dyno day results and observations.....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the write up David and as always unbiased honesty
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AL,
so say a car with the buschur stage 4, 272cams, hks dli2, and alky had the ix 20g tuned by you. if everything was working right, what numbers do you think it would make? im debating between this and the 3076r on pump and alky for street/drag racing(mostly v8s, cobras, vettes, etc). any recommendations for a turbo at high elevation (i will be one of the people tuned by you in Denver)?
also, you said we should contact you and talk to you about our parts before a tune, i really want to do this to make sure everything goes well when you come to denver, what would be the best way to contact you and get all the info i need? please let me know. thanks!

Last edited by TwStDeVo; Feb 5, 2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Shiv - I was not going to comment on this situation at all as I have no time for this drama BS

However, as you have again pressed the issue - after claiming that you did not tune the car in a previous thread . . . . here is what i have determined

The original owner purcahsed your complete Vishnu Stage II WRX kit from you and you installed the above tune in the car in May of 2003 as a base flash with your kit
So it was a mail-in baseline flash that came from another car? It's strange because I was talking to the current owner on AIM last week and he didn't/couldn't/wouldn't tell me who the original owner was I'll post the AIM dialogue up on my forum later if you want to read it

-shiv
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

hmm...it seems the redesigned head/block and new ECU on the IX is a bigger contributer to the big power #s they produce than previously thought.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I say just drop it, who cares? it has changed hands, and "we" dont know what was done, with the "new" owner from purchace until the dynoday. The "old" owner could have took some parts off it etc....and it really is a dead horse in my opinion. No one has the smoking gun, or fingerprints anywhere, I say enough already!

We shouldn't talk Subie on an Evo site anyway!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
So it was a mail-in baseline flash that came from another car? It's strange because I was talking to the current owner on AIM last week and he didn't/couldn't/wouldn't tell me who the original owner was I'll post the AIM dialogue up on my forum later if you want to read it

-shiv
No shiv - it was a entire Vishnu package and tune that was installed on one car and sold by the original owner to the curent owner with no modifications of any kind and no tuning changes

I am not interested in any further discusion of this but post what ever you like if your interested
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
AL,
so say a car with the buschur stage 4, 272cams, hks dli2, and alky had the ix 20g tuned by you. if everything was working right, what numbers do you think it would make? im debating between this and the 3076r on pump and alky for street/drag racing(mostly v8s, cobras, vettes, etc). any recommendations for a turbo at high elevation (i will be one of the people tuned by you in Denver)?
also, you said we should contact you and talk to you about our parts before a tune, i really want to do this to make sure everything goes well when you come to denver, what would be the best way to contact you and get all the info i need? please let me know. thanks!
From what I am seeing with this 20G IX turbo the principle advantage is the broadening of the TQ band and the broad power up top. While the peak numbers may be only inhanced by 30 whp or so over a Evo 8 turbo this does not give the entire picture as this IX 20 G really gives you a much better power band. The TQ is holding out much longer flater not just a spike up and falling down like the Evo 8 and the top end reaches the peak and holds it flat like a staight line past 7,000. The area under the curve which is what makes a fast road car is greatly improved.

IMHO - the best way to test one of these turbos is on the same car - same day - do a A - B test just changing the turbo. It is hard to draw generalizations about the results on a small sample of cars.

For the price tag the IX 20 G is a huge improvement and certianly a a big bang for the buck factor.

BTW - everyone who is getting a tune from me should review the mods with me prior to the tuning session. Best way is by PM or post a question on my section of the forums.

At Pruven we spend a LOT of time fixing boost leaks and changing spark plugs - all of which should be done BEFORE you get tuned if you want a good result.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Feb 5, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:27 PM
Account Disabled

from evan's tuning - a great check list for pre tune issues

Tuning Checklist!!!
Here is a list of things you must check and re-check before coming for a tuning appointment.

Electrical Issues
Wiring—The engine harness should have NO exposed wires. Also, DO NOT twist and tape wires together. Take the time to solder them!
Codes—Do not come for an appointment if you a check engine light on.
Battery/Alternator—Make sure they are strong and not failing. Your appointment will be cut short and you will not have a full tune!
Fuel Pumps—DO NOT install the pumps if there is dirt, debris, or rust in the tank. If there is rust in the tank, replace it. You will starve the engine of fuel if you leave junk in the tank.

Mechanical Issues

Engine—What is a healthy engine???
Compression test results should be as follows:
8:1-8.5:1 compression: 150-170 psi per cylinder
8.5:1~9.5:1 compression: 170-210 psi per cylinder
9.5:1~11:1 compression: 210-275 psi per cylinder
11:1+ compression: 250+ per cylinder (highly depends on cams being used)
DO NOT have more than 20psi variance between cylinders. It is not ok to come for an appointment where there are 3 cylinders that have good compression and one that doesn’t. The 3 good don’t make up for the one bad.

Turbo Systems
Make sure you have secured your pipes so that they do not blow off at a tuning appointment. If the pipes aren’t blowing off on some of the 600+whp cars that I’m tuning then they shouldn’t on the 250-300whp cars either.
Make sure all of the bolts are tightened, in particular, the exhaust manifold bolts. This is considered an exhaust leak and you will lose power as a result.
Make sure the o2 sensor hole is big enough to fit the common wideband sensors.
Make sure the blow off valve is tight. Do you want it to sound “cool” or work properly?
Be sure to use the proper oil feed and return lines and that they are installed properly.
Turbo shaft play. Don’t expect that you can come to an appointment and make 500hp with a turbo that is shot. Get it rebuilt or buy a new one!
LS/VTEC—Under no circumstance should you use a –6 oil feed line from the block to the cylinder head. Maximum of –4, but a –3 is preferred.
LS/VTEC—DO NOT USE brass tees inline to feed an oil pressure guage, turbo oil feed line, and LS/VTEC line. There’s too much volume and not enough pressure. Say goodbye to VTEC!

OBD Conversions

What you'll need to go from OBD-2 to OBD-1 are the following:

OBD-2 to OBD-1 conversion harness
OBD-1 ECU such as p28/p30/p72/p75/p06/etc
OBD-1 injector clips if going with aftermarket fuel injectors

Miscellaneous
I have a Dynapack Dyno. I take the wheels off of your car to tune the car. Do not come to the appointment without the wheel lug key if you have locking wheel lugs.
Bring extra spark plugs if you don’t want to pay for them. New spark plugs are NOT included in the tuning rate.
Make sure all fluid levels are up to par. No oil, no engine. No coolant, overheating issue.
Bleed the coolant system before you come for the appointment. If your car is overheating, DO NOT come for the appointment. I cannot tune a car that is overheating.
Make sure you have brakes on the car that are suited for your power level. I street tune every car after tuning on the dyno and I should feel safe riding in your car. It goes fast it needs to stop fast!

If you are experiencing any or all of these problems and want to know how to fix them, please refer to the following thread: http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=1635

If after reading this you still don’t have the answer you are looking for, make a post about your issue on the forum and get some advice. If you still don’t get the answer you are looking for, send me an email at tech@evans-tuning.com

Our job is to tune your car, not fix everything that is wrong with it. If you come to an appointment with a car that is not working properly you may be asked to leave depending upon the severity of the issue. If the problem is minor enough to be fixed at the shop during the day, we can fix it, but NOT FOR FREE. You wouldn’t work for free and neither should we!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
No shiv - it was a entire Vishnu package and tune that was installed on one car and sold by the original owner to the curent owner with no modifications of any kind and no tuning changes

I am not interested in any further discusion of this but post what ever you like if your interested
I'm not arguing with you Al. I just would like to find out who was the original owner. You mentioned last week that you would get to the bottom of it. I just find it a little odd that it was first referred to it as a car that I personally tuned. then it became a mail-in reflash. And now it is supposed to be a mail-in reflash that was configured for another customer/car from 3 years ago. Whatever it is or isn't, it would just be nice to have a little closure on the subject. If not, that's cool too. Just as long as the customer is happy

shiv
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
guys superbowl is on. i cant watch 2 games at one time. wait for the superbowl to end.

p.s. half time sucked.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

I don't want to interfere and try to keep tally on the "zinger" board, but Al, I think the ball has been in your court for a while now, Just give Shiv the courtesy of letting him know who this person is, and then we can bury this! That is what I call in my profession: "Professional Courtesy". just pm him, and swear him to secrecy!

99.8% of us dont really care about this issue, and it just muds up the thread.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

I'm not arguing with you Al. I just would like to find out who was the original owner. You mentioned last week that you would get to the bottom of it. I just find it a little odd that it was first referred to it as a car that I personally tuned. then it became a mail-in reflash. And now it is supposed to be a mail-in reflash that was configured for another customer/car from 3 years ago. Whatever it is or isn't, it would just be nice to have a little closure on the subject. If not, that's cool too. Just as long as the customer is happy

shiv
I got as far to the bottom of it as I could reasonably get without hiring the CIA to take fingerprints

As I have said - it was your original tune - untouched along with your complete Stage II WRX kit - 100% as supplied by you with everything there and in 100% working order.

I dont think the fact that the car changed hands has any bearing on the tuning.

The tune that was in it references the tuner ID # I have posted above - either that is you or it is not - I am done with this subject as the whole ordeal is of little imporance to me.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

shiv
Not to start anything but

Im not sure how your getting confused soo easily but, Al said the car has your stage2, baseflash for the stage 2, then that owner sold it to the kid who owns it now.
So same car, same tune.

Last edited by Jim_Patterson; Feb 5, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I don't want to interfere and try to keep tally on the "zinger" board, but Al, I think the ball has been in your court for a while now, Just give Shiv the courtesy of letting him know who this person is, and then we can bury this! That is what I call in my profession: "Professional Courtesy". just pm him, and swear him to secrecy!

99.8% of us dont really care about this issue, and it just muds up the thread.
I dont care about the issue either. I get people calling me every day to retune cars that arent running properly - its not a big deal.

The customer is a member here and can post up any details he wants or not - that is his preference.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like you guys had a busy weekend and some fun

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing dyno day results and observations.....