Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G-9 from buschur.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well seeing how i dont drive on a daily basis running race gas, i cant really run more than 22psi. knock is a huge safety factor. i will hand the keys to Al and he will do the rest. i just dont want a blown motor u know.
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
if you are only going to run 22 psi, I doubt the gains will be as substancial as you are hoping for. Especially on pump gas...I am going to guess an increase of 15 hp depending on the tune..make sure you find out what the a/f is after he tunes it...

I was hoping to get up there the same day you were getting it installed but I still have parts on order..

good luck
Old Feb 10, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Al,

You tuned my friend Chris (smilely) at the DSM shootout last year, he had a Evo 8 WR. He was on 112 octane Torco fuel. He made 326 whp, within 5 whp of David Buschur's RS 20G car. This was the same car that buschur changed the load numbers and made it make 880 awhp or something crazy. David did it all in fun.

Chris's car had:

264 cams
Works TB
B&B 3" TBE
Buschur Deluxe FMIC with upper Buschur pipe
Profec B spec 2
Dynoflash Custom tune
Ebay O2 housing
Ported stock manifold
HKS DLI2
HKS SSBOV with recirc kit
Walbro 255
Buschur 680 injectors

Chris's car made a best of 326 whp that day

Buschurs' RS 20G car had

Ported head
Ported intake manifold
65 mm throttle body
race FMIC
280 cams
AEM
Ported manifold
Ported O2housing
3" TBE

He was running straight 118 Torco fuel in it at the time

His best run was a 331 whp at the time.

Do you not think that Chris's car with the Evo 8 WR was impressive with those numbers on a flash?

Brian
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

the only thing important that im lacking is cams. i wanted to do the turbo first because i thought i would get more bang for buck with the turbo. i guess we will see.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
deadbeatrec:

Why don't you have cams? Worried about voidinig your warranty :-)
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My bad... just saw your last post re:cams.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
the only thing important that im lacking is cams. i wanted to do the turbo first because i thought i would get more bang for buck with the turbo. i guess we will see.
Cams (including labor) cost less than half as much as the turbo and easily would get you the 25 whp gain that you are looking for. Were you thinking that cams would get you less than 13 whp?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Interested to see deadbeatrec's results with this turbo. His setup mirrors my own and I was able to make pretty good power on pump gas with the WR-8 (22psi, stock cams, flash). Theoretically these upgraded stock turbos should show positive gains even with the stock cams just by virtue of the fact that they maintain boost pressure to redline that much more effectively. I hope to get some comparable track times/dynojet numbers to clarify my past findings with the WR-8.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

264/264 cams get you about 15whp
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nbpal4000
264/264 cams get you about 15whp

You dont have cams do you?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

i do actually, hks 264s and according Buschur, 264 is mild set up and get you 15 whp
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Al,

You tuned my friend Chris (smilely) at the DSM shootout last year, he had a Evo 8 WR. He was on 112 octane Torco fuel. He made 326 whp, within 5 whp of David Buschur's RS 20G car. This was the same car that buschur changed the load numbers and made it make 880 awhp or something crazy. David did it all in fun.

Chris's car had:

264 cams
Works TB
B&B 3" TBE
Buschur Deluxe FMIC with upper Buschur pipe
Profec B spec 2
Dynoflash Custom tune
Ebay O2 housing
Ported stock manifold
HKS DLI2
HKS SSBOV with recirc kit
Walbro 255
Buschur 680 injectors

Chris's car made a best of 326 whp that day

Buschurs' RS 20G car had

Ported head
Ported intake manifold
65 mm throttle body
race FMIC
280 cams
AEM
Ported manifold
Ported O2housing
3" TBE

He was running straight 118 Torco fuel in it at the time

His best run was a 331 whp at the time.

Do you not think that Chris's car with the Evo 8 WR was impressive with those numbers on a flash?

Brian
I like to think that all of my work is impressive, I certainly work hard at it. Obviously the fact that Smiley is a MASTER car tech and worked hard to get every thing 100% perfect on his car was good evidence that the car was perfectly wrenched. Also, obviously with yor expert assistance he selected some of the very best parts.

I think the main issues for conversation are :

1 - What is the gain with a stock turbo vs WR evo 8 unit

2 - What is the gain between OLD evo 8 WR and the new BR EVO IX 20G Wr ?

3 - Is there any reason at all to buy a OLD Evo 8 WR at all given the new one with the IX cover ?

I think the answers of some of these questions will become much clearer as time goes forward

I only have my own personal observations that the IX cover greatly improves the size and shape of the TQ curve both on the WR and on the stock IX turbo

I guess you also have reached the same conclusion as the car you recently built is using a similar IX covered Wr and not a old evo 8 cover one ?

Last edited by DynoFlash; Feb 10, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fury656
Interested to see deadbeatrec's results with this turbo. His setup mirrors my own and I was able to make pretty good power on pump gas with the WR-8 (22psi, stock cams, flash). Theoretically these upgraded stock turbos should show positive gains even with the stock cams just by virtue of the fact that they maintain boost pressure to redline that much more effectively. I hope to get some comparable track times/dynojet numbers to clarify my past findings with the WR-8.
Another VARIABLE here on these turbos has been the actuator set up and there is a variation on the actuator on some of these various turbos

I know there is one particular actuator which works the best - I am not sure which one it is after spending a whole weekend swapping about actuators at Buschur's
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nbpal4000
i do actually, hks 264s and according Buschur, 264 is mild set up and get you 15 whp

You should see more than 15 hp by just bolting them in. Id say a conservative estimate is in the 35whp range with tuning.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I like to think that all of my work is impressive, I certainly work hard at it. Obviously the fact that Smiley is a MASTER car tech and worked hard to get every thing 100% perfect on his car was good evidence that the car was perfectly wrenched. Also, obviously with yor expert assistance he selected some of the very best parts.

I think the main issues for conversation are :

1 - What is the gain with a stock turbo vs WR evo 8 unit

2 - What is the gain between OLD evo 8 WR and the new BR EVO IX 20G Wr ?

3 - Is there any reason at all to buy a OLD Evo 8 WR at all given the new one with the IX cover ?

I think the answers of some of these questions will become much clearer as time goes forward

I only have my own personal observations that the IX cover greatly improves the size and shape of the TQ curve both on the WR and on the stock IX turbo

I guess you also have reached the same conclusion as the car you recently built is using a similar IX covered Wr and not a old evo 8 cover one ?
That was definitely nice work on his car. It was second fastest in the stock appearing class that day. Second only to Davids 20G RS car.

We are in the process of switching smilely's car over to a Evo 9 based WR... The turbo is on its way back to us after going under the knife. So we will have a maxed out HP amount on the Evo 8 WR versus a maxed out Evo 9 WR test. This we hopefully will get done in the next couple weeks.

I definitely concur with you that from this point forth, it would be an ill advised decision for anyone to buy an Evo 8 based 20G or WR considering the much improved compressor housing on the Evo 9. There is just NO downside to the new turbo in my mind. The one we tested on the Evo 9 has the Ti/Al internals and a FP high pressure actuator on it, and it spools up ridiculously fast.

We will also be doing a test on a Evo 9 WR on a stock cammed, stock FMIC Evo 8 MR shortly. This should be good information also.

Proper preload on these high pressure actuators is a very important thing in getting them to hold high boost pressure at 6500 RPM and higher.

Brian
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostMonster
TURBODAWG,

I seem to remember at the DSM Shootout the White Rabbit being referred to as the "Slow Turtle" while one was on the dyno. Seems kinda funny, now that the truth is known. By the way, WR or 20g-9, doesn't matter you guy's are going to need all the turbo you can get to keep up with the "slow-b-aru" when the gt 30R gets here .

I can't believe he went there..............

Quick Reply: 20G-9 from buschur.