Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G-9 from buschur.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
anyone have any coments about the race gas issue?
You can't run leaded race gas if you have a cat on the car, so if you do have the cat on there you'll be limited to running 100 or 104, which when mixed with 93, doesn't give you that much additional octane. I think the octane of running unleaded only will hold you back from running boost levels that would challenge the stock head bolts.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have never run leaded or unleaded race gas yet, i know i have a hf cat but it shouldnt hurt the cat just running leaded gas one time will it? i am getting a test pipe but not intime for monday unless david or dan has one there that i can barrow.
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
You can't run leaded race gas if you have a cat on the car, so if you do have the cat on there you'll be limited to running 100 or 104, which when mixed with 93, doesn't give you that much additional octane. I think the octane of running unleaded only will hold you back from running boost levels that would challenge the stock head bolts.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

i have never run leaded or unleaded race gas yet, i know i have a hf cat but it shouldnt hurt the cat just running leaded gas one time will it? i am getting a test pipe but not intime for monday unless david or dan has one there that i can barrow.
I wouldn't do it. You could always drop the cat and run open downpipe.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

depends on what AL wants to do. car would sound sick with an open pipe. o man.
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I wouldn't do it. You could always drop the cat and run open downpipe.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been out of here for 4 solid days in school. Dyno/EFI training. Seems you can always learn something!

From page 9, post #132. 4tune8, yes, I feel this is a good upgrade over the stock turbo, if I didn't I would not sell them and that is a fact. I need sales but I don't need sales from parts that I don't believe in and we won't sell junk that doesn't work here.
David, you really didn't answer my question at all. I'm not trying to bust your chops as much as you probably think I am. What I'm basically asking is, 1700 bucks for 30hp....would you do it if you were us?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
David, you really didn't answer my question at all. I'm not trying to bust your chops as much as you probably think I am. What I'm basically asking is, 1700 bucks for 30hp....would you do it if you were us?
of course he would do it. At the next shootout the STOCK APPEARANCE Evolution class will be full of 20g-9 turboed evo's including his RS.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

i guess we will all find out monday what this turbo is about.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
4TUN8,

I think my first response did answer your question, just not directly:0)

Yes, of course I would do it but only at the right time. The right time is after you have completed our Stage 4 first. At that point if someone is happy with their EVO, which they should be, and doesn't want a lot of additional lag from a larger turbo then this is the right choice for the car. At that point if someone is thinking another 100 whp is what they want then this isn't the right choice.

You have to remember. We have shelves of turbos here. Ranging from mild to "holy shi t is that a thing huge". I have 9 guys working here. We own 7 EVO's owned between us. Right now, today, of those 7 EVO's 3 have 20G's on them and are daily driven (mine is sitting inside until the weather gets nice but you get the idea). Another one of the 7 is getting a 20G as soon as we get a chance to start working on the car. Remember that it is just as easy for any of us to take a GT35R off the shelf and install it. Just to sum up the rest of the car, Jarrod's is getting a new GT BB upgrade that we want to try out, the other car is our black drag car with a GT45R on it and the last car is my brother's red car that right now has the stock turbo on it....he may go back to a GT35R on that one and run only race gas on the street.

I really feel this is a good worthwhile turbo upgrade if I didn't, I wouldn't sell it. I'd promote something else.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

well i dont understand y u are dead set on stage 4 first. i do plan on doing cams and a bigger front mount but i wanted to do a bigger turbo first. i guess its just a matter of opinion.
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
4TUN8,

I think my first response did answer your question, just not directly:0)

Yes, of course I would do it but only at the right time. The right time is after you have completed our Stage 4 first. At that point if someone is happy with their EVO, which they should be, and doesn't want a lot of additional lag from a larger turbo then this is the right choice for the car. At that point if someone is thinking another 100 whp is what they want then this isn't the right choice.

You have to remember. We have shelves of turbos here. Ranging from mild to "holy shi t is that a thing huge". I have 9 guys working here. We own 7 EVO's owned between us. Right now, today, of those 7 EVO's 3 have 20G's on them and are daily driven (mine is sitting inside until the weather gets nice but you get the idea). Another one of the 7 is getting a 20G as soon as we get a chance to start working on the car. Remember that it is just as easy for any of us to take a GT35R off the shelf and install it. Just to sum up the rest of the car, Jarrod's is getting a new GT BB upgrade that we want to try out, the other car is our black drag car with a GT45R on it and the last car is my brother's red car that right now has the stock turbo on it....he may go back to a GT35R on that one and run only race gas on the street.

I really feel this is a good worthwhile turbo upgrade if I didn't, I wouldn't sell it. I'd promote something else.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the point is a matter of hp per dollar...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

yeah but its the turbo isnt going to give me any more hp with cams then u would without them. so i spent the money first on the turbo and will do cams next.
Originally Posted by Zeus
I think the point is a matter of hp per dollar...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah but cams will cost under 1000 installed which is cheaper than the turbo.. and you will have more power with the turbo and cams than the turbo itself.. It's your car tho man do whatever you want
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I agree I was thinking of getting an upgraded turbo until I did cams and alky injection and with a good tune I'm more than content with what I have and still had some money left over.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah but its the turbo isnt going to give me any more hp with cams then u would without them. so i spent the money first on the turbo and will do cams next.
I don't know that that's true. The gain from the turbo should be greater if you already have cams because the stock turbo has a harder time holding boost with cams than without them due to the volumetric efficiency improvements that you get with cams. The more breathing mods you have on the car (exhaust, intake, ported exhaust parts, cams, bigger FMIC), the more the stock turbo struggles on the top end to maintain boost. That's where the 20G (or a WR) shines the most. A modded car could probably pick up 40-50 hp above 7000 rpm with the improved turbo whereas a more stock car will be wheezing so much up there that the turbo is not even the limiting factor.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

u guys are acting like i just commited a modding sin. i wanted to try the new 20g for my own reasons and i had the money so y the hell not. i do plan on camming it so no biggie.

Quick Reply: 20G-9 from buschur.