Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO8 head to EVO9 head

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
EVO8 head to EVO9 head

I did a search and didn't find anyone talking about this, if you know of a posts please direct me to it.

Anyway what I was thinking was, if you switched out an EVO8 head/ECU to an EVO9 head/ECU with MIVEC. Would it be an issue? Of course this would have to be done on a 2005 with ACD right?

Just a thought, anyone else think it can be done? Or know of anyone trying it?

What do you think the costs would be involved in doing this?

~Zach
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd get to have a lot of fun wiring a new engine wiring harness. And by fun I mean not so much fun.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
You'd get to have a lot of fun wiring a new engine wiring harness. And by fun I mean not so much fun.
You think the engine harness is that differant? You would prob. get away with a couple of wires for the MIVEC if you go from an '05 to the '06....

Just thinking here I really just want to get some opinions of poeple that might have researched this further.

~Zach
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

I heard the block was redesigned to fit the new head....
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by phenem
You think the engine harness is that differant? You would prob. get away with a couple of wires for the MIVEC if you go from an '05 to the '06....

Just thinking here I really just want to get some opinions of poeple that might have researched this further.

~Zach
The ECU pinout is completely different. The Evo 8 USDM has 4 plugs while the 9 USDM has 3.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:16 PM

It took people/companies to realize the potential of the HONDA engine heads & blocks to be changed around on multiple blocks. Maybe it's possible.

Anyone sure if the block is the same or similar enugh?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

It would be cheaper and easier to sell your evo and just get a new 9, then you would also have the larger turbo.......
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

why try to make your evo 8 head the same as a 9? When you can make it better than a 9 head and without MIVEC! above and beyond son. . . above and beyond.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMejia
why try to make your evo 8 head the same as a 9? When you can make it better than a 9 head and without MIVEC! above and beyond son. . . above and beyond.

granted, it would be much cheaper to just trade into an '06 IX versus performing an entire head swap.. but it's already been proven that the IX head is superior to the VIII. even so, i don't think the benefits outway the investment of time and money required for the swap. really sad, because i was thinking about this myself awhile back.

see here (page 3, post #45 by Al): https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...6&page=3&pp=15

Last edited by spoolingEVOx; Feb 8, 2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spoolingEVOx
granted, it would be much cheaper to just trade into an '06 IX versus performing an entire head swap.. but it's already been proven that the IX head is superior to the VIII.
Oh? By who exactly? Tuning shops looking to make a second run of cash? Sorry, but short of MoTeC, GEMS (which are not readily available here) we don't have any REAL engine management, so its true potential is to be seen. I won't deny the 9 head is impressive but I don't think it warrants the hit you would take trading a car in. For the amount of money you lose on the difference, tax, etc. you could do some really nice things to your current car.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Oh? By who exactly? Tuning shops looking to make a second run of cash? Sorry, but short of MoTeC, GEMS (which are not readily available here) we don't have any REAL engine management, so its true potential is to be seen. I won't deny the 9 head is impressive but I don't think it warrants the hit you would take trading a car in. For the amount of money you lose on the difference, tax, etc. you could do some really nice things to your current car.
lol, um.. if you finish reading my post you'll see that i already agree with that.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

lol, um.. if you finish reading my post you'll see that i already agree with that.
Sorry, posted before your edit.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, posted before your edit.

no problem man. i have this bad habit of editing the crap out of my post anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

granted, it would be much cheaper to just trade into an '06 IX versus performing an entire head swap.. but it's already been proven that the IX head is superior to the VIII. even so, i don't think the benefits outway the investment of time and money required for the swap. really sad, because i was thinking about this myself awhile back.
Agreed. Too much money/hassle for too little gain.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Agreed. Too much money/hassle for too little gain.
I do agree with you as well, just trying to spark some conversation about it. Didn't seem like anyone had talked about it. Maybe if we talk about it enough Buschur/AMS/Vishnu or someone will prove us wrong.....somehow like they always do....

~Zach

Quick Reply: EVO8 head to EVO9 head