Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EGR CEL Fix?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR CEL Fix?

So I'm sending out my stock intake manifold and throttle body to buschur today for porting and I wanted to run a block off plate for the EGR (to keep lines and manifold clean) and noticed buschur even sold one, but it throws a CEL.

Has anyone found a way around this with stock ecu, is there a flash to prevent the code or a egr simulator...
any help is appreciated
Old Feb 10, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

bump!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

bumpity bump! any help?!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Ttt
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think you want to block off your EGR. EGR does more than just pushing in the hot gas to the intake. It is hard to believe but EGR actually helps to keep the cylinder temperature down while you are cruising. EGR is closely related to stock ECU's timing and fuel control while you are cruising. For race cars that does WOT most of the time and uses after market ECU like AEM EMS, it is okay to block of EGR and race. but for street cars that cruises most of the time with stock ECU, EGR actually helps you save gas and your engine.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same issue, but I know for sure that the dopes who rebuilt my tranny at Mitsu broke a fitting on the EGR. Being the location of the valving, I just leave it alone.

However, Id like to know if there is a way these flash tuners can turn off some of these OBD-II checks, or if there is a unit that allows to clear codes when hooked up to a laptop or in car computer, automatically.

Ive seen an OBD-II emulator....gotta look into it more.

Bump for answers
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taenaive
It is hard to believe but EGR actually helps to keep the cylinder temperature down while you are cruising. EGR is closely related to stock ECU's timing and fuel control while you are cruising. For race cars that does WOT most of the time and uses after market ECU like AEM EMS, it is okay to block of EGR and race. but for street cars that cruises most of the time with stock ECU, EGR actually helps you save gas and your engine.
+1! The only reason EGR is used is to reduce combustion temps and therefore reduce the amount of NOx produced by the engine. Blocking off EGR will increase EGT and should force the ECU to compensate by injecting more fuel to cool the exhaust gas. I doubt blocking the EGR system will increase power anyway since at WOT EGR does not occur on most cars. I have no idea as far as the Evo is concerned, but most manufacturers do not have exhaust gas recirculated into the intake when at WOT.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

easy enough said EGR stays, thanks guys!