Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP! Forge UNOS not working

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:22 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Forge UNOS not working

I just installed a Forge UNOS. I looped the wastegate actuator, ran the hose from the wastegate to the side of the UNOS and the hose from the turbo to the bottom of the UNOS. I have the soft spring in all the way turned up(+) and I spike 19~19.5psi and drop down to 16~17psi. I tried the harder spring all the way turned down(-) and I couldn't boost lower than 23psi. Did I do something wrong here? Do I need a different spring? Should I change the route of the hose?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
KY
Evolving Member

I noticed that when I took it apart to change the spring that the ball was on the bottom. Shouldn't it be on top of the spring?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think the title should be unos not working... sounds like it is working.... i have the heavy spring in, and set up the same way you are, i am about 8 clicks to the + and boosting now about 22 or 23 spike dropping to 20 and tapering to 18 or 19. take your mbc apart, make sure that the heavy spring is seated all the way down around the center piece and isnt just sitting on top of it... and did you run new lines or still using the ones in the car... did you take out the pill ?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KY
I noticed that when I took it apart to change the spring that the ball was on the bottom. Shouldn't it be on top of the spring?
there is a piece the spring fits around on the bottom and the ball sits on top
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

KY, it works, but you installed it wrongly. Make sure the stiff spring is COMPLETELY SEATED on the nipple, and then put the ball on top of the spring (there's no way to put it on the other end, because the spring is seated). After it's put together properly, then min boost will be around 16-17psi on the stiff spring.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
there is a piece the spring fits around on the bottom and the ball sits on top
What pill?

I just put the spring in the bottom(part where hoses connect). I put the ball on top of the spring(closest to the adjustment knob). Tested and the car won't pass 12 psi in either direction (+ or -).

When I used the harder spring it hit 23 psi and stayed there. This is with the unit turned all the way to the (-).
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

The spring has to be seated 100%. You can't just drop it in there.

With the soft spring, it takes a bunch of turns to get it above base WG pressure, and turning it all the way up only gets you to 19-20psi.

The "pills" are in the stock boost lines. He was making sure you didn't reuse any of the stock lines, because that wouldn't work.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:49 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The spring has to be seated 100%. You can't just drop it in there.

With the soft spring, it takes a bunch of turns to get it above base WG pressure, and turning it all the way up only gets you to 19-20psi.

The "pills" are in the stock boost lines. He was making sure you didn't reuse any of the stock lines, because that wouldn't work.
Ok, so tomorrow I will try again. Here is the order everything will be in.

Hoses from turbo and WG
Bottom half of UNOS
Heavy spring
Ball
Top half of UNOS(+\-)

Then turn all the way to (-) and I should be fine?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Just make sure the spring is seated...that is all.

Turn it all the way to minimum before putting it together.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Somebody needs to post pics of this damn thing. It is so insanely simple inside.............ball and spring w/2 screws....sheesh
Old Feb 11, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Somebody needs to post pics of this damn thing. It is so insanely simple inside.............ball and spring w/2 screws....sheesh
LOL i would take mine out if it didnt mean unclamping the lines going to it.... i posted pics of my install on another thread but not of the spring install. i guess now i should have.

SO WHEN WARRTALON SAYS MAKE SURE ITS SEATED.... PAY ATTENTION ---> SEATED MEANS COMPLETELY SITTING FLUSH, COILS AROUND THE NIPPLE, NIPPLE INSERTED WITHIN THE COILS, COILS SITTING ON THE BASE WHERE THE NIPPLE IS COMING FROM.... THEN, PUT BALL IN THE OTHER END, PUT THEM TOGETHER LIKE LEGOS, AND INSERT BOLTS. TIGHTEN UNTIL IT IS HELD TOGETHER PRETTY FIRM. YOU ARE DONE.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KY
Ok, so tomorrow I will try again. Here is the order everything will be in.

Hoses from turbo and WG
Bottom half of UNOS
Heavy spring
Ball
Top half of UNOS(+\-)

Then turn all the way to (-) and I should be fine?
OK AGAIN, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING HOSES THAT ARENT THE STOCK HOSES OR YOU CUT THE HOSE THAT HAS THE "PILL" IN IT. JUST BUY NEW HOSES !!!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:38 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
OK AGAIN, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING HOSES THAT ARENT THE STOCK HOSES OR YOU CUT THE HOSE THAT HAS THE "PILL" IN IT. JUST BUY NEW HOSES !!!
I am using brand new hoses. There are no pills in them. I will try this one more time using the heavy spring and see what happens. Is my boost supposed to hold or will it still tend to taper?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Boost always tapers on the stock turbo - it's natural. However, you won't taper nearly as much as stock, and the lower your boost setting, the less it will taper.

Like, if you run 22psi, it will hold 20-21psi to redline.

If you run 26+psi like me, it falls to 22.5psi by redline due to the turbo not being able to maintain that much boost at that rpm.

If you run 19psi, you will pretty much see 19psi as high as you can rev it.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 02:40 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Thank you guys once again. I put the harder spring in and made sure it was seated on the nipple and then put everything back together. I think it was about 25 clicks and now I spike 23psi and hold 21psi.

I just remembered, when I was doing this for the last time, that the very first time I took it apart the spring was just sitting there on top of the ball. That means that Forge didn't seat it on the nipple.

None of this really matter, except for the fact that it works and looks good.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: HELP! Forge UNOS not working