Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quick disconnect cat/test pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Quick disconnect cat/test pipe?

I have a slip fit Buschur turboback with a high flow cat and test pipe and would like to be able to easily swap out the cat for a test pipe. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

One way would be to weld on regular header flanges, but those are not exactly quick disconnect and tend to leak and rust. Band clamps don't like to be reused and tend to loosen over time.

I'm thinking about using v-band clamps like this:

but they seem to be really expensive. About $42 for the clamp and two weld-on rings for each connection. Since extra rings are about $16 a pair, just the hard ware that I'd need would be $42x2 + $16x2 = $116. Seems like a lot for just the hardware, and then probably another $70 labor on top of that to have everything welded.

Does this seem excessively expensive? Any other ideas for doing this? I really do want it to be easy to swap and not a major project each time.

Thanks,
Rich
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich, I am sort of in the middle of doing the same thing. I have all the clamps already just need to find time to weld them on. But I'm going on step further and am putting v-bands on every connection, even the o2 housing outlet.

So you're not far off on the idea, nor the cost. Expensive, but the only way I think all exhaust should be built.

Ivan
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Burns stainless, there V band clamp is much nicer because you don't have to completely remove the nut. http://burnsstainless.com/Hardware/Clamps/clamps.html

If you look on the oppisite end of the nut side you can see the hinge in the drawing, when you loosen the clamp slightly you flip up the tab and the whole thing is released. Really great design.

Also when you are having them welded on have the first flange welded on so about 1/4" of the pipe is sticking out, then weld on the other flange so the pipe slides into it. This way you get a leak free seal with no gasket

I ran those on my eclipse, they pay for themselves when you're doing a clutch job and downpipe removal only takes 20 seconds
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by NDgsx
Check out Burns stainless, there V band clamp is much nicer because you don't have to completely remove the nut. http://burnsstainless.com/Hardware/Clamps/clamps.html

If you look on the oppisite end of the nut side you can see the hinge in the drawing, when you loosen the clamp slightly you flip up the tab and the whole thing is released. Really great design.

Also when you are having them welded on have the first flange welded on so about 1/4" of the pipe is sticking out, then weld on the other flange so the pipe slides into it. This way you get a leak free seal with no gasket

I ran those on my eclipse, they pay for themselves when you're doing a clutch job and downpipe removal only takes 20 seconds
Those are almost twice as much as the ones that I found! Is it really that much easier to just loosen the nut vs. removing it? I can't really tell from the picture how they work.