Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing teams up with Warrtalon....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The turbo is larger as well...

Originally Posted by MRinChrist
I meant the VIII MR.

Thanks for the info, depressing......It is all about the MIVEC, huh?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRinChrist
I meant the VIII MR.

Thanks for the info, depressing......It is all about the MIVEC, huh?
No, the MIVEC only works up to 6k, so it provides a lot of power in the low-end and mid-range while also assisting spool time, but the higher power seems to come from the larger compressor housing and coolant passages in the head that allow for more timing without knock.

Yes, it's depressing.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
The turbo is larger as well...
SOB....I want my money back!

That is it, time to whup out the plastic!

Ahhhh...I still love her.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, the MIVEC only works up to 6k, so it provides a lot of power in the low-end and mid-range while also assisting spool time, but the higher power seems to come from the larger compressor housing and coolant passages in the head that allow for more timing without knock.

Yes, it's depressing.
Thanks for the info brother...Good guys over at Buschur, great marriage!

Godspeed!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The turbo is not actually "larger". The compressor housing is only larger, the wheels inside of the turbo are still the same size. Just a re-designed cover.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The turbo is not actually "larger". The compressor housing is only larger, the wheels inside of the turbo are still the same size. Just a re-designed cover.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Why does a stock 06 turbo make more power than a stock 05 turbo given the comparable compressor wheels? I had thought that the difference must lie there since your testing of the 20g-8 vs. 20g-9 showed no power gain with the larger cover. I thought that the larger cover was probably added to alleviate surge issues that could arise with the MIVEC, not to add power. The 8 and 9 turbos have comparable hot sides too, right?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could someone explain why a dynoflash still needs an upgraded fuel pump and MBC; while no other tuner recommends that?
I've heard others (maybe Shiv even) claim the stock fuel pump is good to over 400hp.

Either it's overkill to be safe, or a dynoflash is pumping through a lot more fuel to cover knock?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Could someone explain why a dynoflash still needs an upgraded fuel pump and MBC; while no other tuner recommends that?
I've heard others (maybe Shiv even) claim the stock fuel pump is good to over 400hp.

Either it's overkill to be safe, or a dynoflash is pumping through a lot more fuel to cover knock?
Shiv claims the stock fuel pump is good to over 400whp??? Are you sure about that? I haven't seen any tuner NOT recommend a fuel pump at such crazy power levels for the stock turbo. You realize that to put down 400whp on an VIII, you have to be pushing over 25psi. This is where it becomes dangerous to still be using the stock fuel pump. Also, the stockers have been known to fail at times. So, we recommend getting one when running 21+ psi and over 300whp just to be safe. No, it's not to cover knock...come on, man. It's an $85 item that can save you $3000-4000. It's also something you want to do along with the flash, because if you do it after the flash, then you have to get retuned. Notice that IXs don't need it, since there's appears to be upgraded.

Since when do no other tuners recommend an upgraded fuel pump anyway? And since when do no other tuners recommend an MBC? You've been token the pipe, eh?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur/Warrtalon EVO VIII Stage 1 - $1575
- Bushur Racing Turboback Exhaust with your choice of Hi-Flow Cat or Test Pipe and choice muffler (quite or loud)
- Forge UNOS MBC
- Autometer -30 - +30 Boost Gauge + single pillar pod
- Forge RS DV (adjustable one that I use)
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Buschur Stg1 Flash perfected by Al for this specific combo

so your telling me with this setup, it will make my little 03 evo 8 have 300hp because its super stock right now.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv claims the stock fuel pump is good to over 400whp??? Are you sure about that? I haven't seen any tuner NOT recommend a fuel pump at such crazy power levels for the stock turbo. You realize that to put down 400whp on an VIII, you have to be pushing over 25psi. This is where it becomes dangerous to still be using the stock fuel pump. Also, the stockers have been known to fail at times. So, we recommend getting one when running 21+ psi and over 300whp just to be safe. No, it's not to cover knock...come on, man. It's an $85 item that can save you $3000-4000. It's also something you want to do along with the flash, because if you do it after the flash, then you have to get retuned. Notice that IXs don't need it, since there's appears to be upgraded.

Since when do no other tuners recommend an upgraded fuel pump anyway? And since when do no other tuners recommend an MBC? You've been token the pipe, eh?
Re-Read my post - I said 400hp - not whp.

And with a 'base' flash, nobody gets tuned over 21 psi, so why the need for a fuel pump? And why the need for an MBC - still tricking out the ecu? Ecutek flashes and Works don't need an MBC.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

And with a 'base' flash, nobody gets tuned over 21 psi, so why the need for a fuel pump? And why the need for an MBC - still tricking out the ecu? Ecutek flashes and Works don't need an MBC.
Man the stock fuel pump depending on voltage flows between 150 -160 lph on an 03 EVO. That sucks.. b -series hondas flow between 130 - 140 lph. That is not enough flow for past 400 hp especially with the stock turbo pushing high boost. Walbro flows about 240 - 255 lph depending on voltage and they are so suppose to be good for about 500 - 550 hp. You do the math. I don't know why mitsu provided such a weak pump, but I know the Toyota Supra(Last model), its pump flows more than the walbro. Like 255 - 265lph. So warrtalon is correct the pump is needed on 03 EVO
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Uh, why would you say 400hp? NO one speaks in terms of crank HP, dude. We have no idea what the crank hp is. Do you use a 25% drivetrain loss, or a 15%? Do you refer to a Dynojet or a Mustang Dyno? There is no reason to mention "400hp" like that, because it's an arbitrary term.

Yes, people can and do run more than 21psi on base flashes. I ran my 12.26 on a base flash and 22psi. There are people who run 23psi and some who claim 24psi on pump gas, although I don't agree with doing that.

Why the need for an MBC? Hey, look, if you just want basic low boost controlled by your flash, that's fine. Dynoflash can do it, too, but that is very rare. 90% (if not more) of us who mod get an MBC so that we have full control. You buy no means HAVE to have one with a Dynoflash, but that is what I recommend, so that's why it's in my package.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon 2 B EVIL
Buschur/Warrtalon EVO VIII Stage 1 - $1575
- Bushur Racing Turboback Exhaust with your choice of Hi-Flow Cat or Test Pipe and choice muffler (quite or loud)
- Forge UNOS MBC
- Autometer -30 - +30 Boost Gauge + single pillar pod
- Forge RS DV (adjustable one that I use)
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Buschur Stg1 Flash perfected by Al for this specific combo

so your telling me with this setup, it will make my little 03 evo 8 have 300hp because its super stock right now.
Yes, unless you choose the HFC option, which will probably rob about 10whp.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, unless you choose the HFC option, which will probably rob about 10whp.
Oh ok nice well Im trying to decide if im going to go with this package or the
BR stage1. Yeha im going ot be running the HFC. Whats the Tq number? Also what size spring is in the Forge UNOS MBC

Last edited by Soon 2 B EVIL; Feb 23, 2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon 2 B EVIL
Oh ok nice well Im trying to decide if im going to go with this package or the
BR stage1. Yeha im going ot be running the HFC. Whats the Tq number? Also what size spring is in the Forge UNOS MBC
Well, you can't go wrong with either package. The BR Stage 1 is proven and so is my package. Either way, you will be very happy.

The torque numbers will be equal to or greater than the WHP with a Dynoflash as long as you run the proper boost (20+ psi). So, if you do the HFC, you might see 290whp/290-295wtq.

The UNOS should come with both springs, but it usually has the soft spring in it by default. Some places like Dynoflash go ahead and put the stiff spring in there, since we really have no use for the soft spring, but when you get it, you just have to test it and make sure. I always recommend leaving it how you get it, then install it, set it to minimum, and go test the boost. If you start out at ~11psi, then it's the soft spring. Instead of messing with the soft spring, I recommend that you immediately take it apart, switch in the stiff spring, ENSURE THAT IT IS FULLY SEATED ON THE NIPPLE, grease the ball lightly with fully synthetic grease, then reassemble. Again, test the boost at the minimum setting. AT this point, it should show ~17psi. You can then start making slight adjustments until you get to 21-22psi peak in 3rd gear on 93oct. The UNOS has clicks that allow you to remember exactly how far you've gone, which makes it extremely easy to dial in.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing teams up with Warrtalon....