Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tried everything and still can't launch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kevin, I already have a Dynoflash tuning on the Evo 9
Old Feb 15, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the ix flash have the 2 step lanuch control? i know it has it for the 8.. cause i had that on my custom dynoflash..
Old Feb 16, 2006, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Bogging you gotta slip it more @ 5k-6k is my sweet spot.
Sorry, maybe your babying the 9 alittle more :0
since its a new car and all.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Is this a joke? How hard is it to launch an awd car...

1. Floor it.
2. Sidestep the clutch

Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
It always does this:

It jumps as if you were launching hard then all the sudden the tires grab for about one foot then the car completly dies, the engine rpms drops, the front end bounces down and it takes another 1.5 seconds to start building boost again.

At this point you can almost achieve similar or better results if you start really slow and then gun it, at least it build up boost fast and it does not bog down.

The clutch odor is very strong each time I tried something.. I am hating this problem

Carlos
I have 9 and this is my first awd car.
When I learned how to launch, it took me about 5 clutch burnings out of about 10 tries. And then I got the hang of it, and now I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I've experienced the same thing you described above.
So I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

The reason why your car bogs off the line is because..
1. You aren't starting from 5.5k-6k rpm
2. You are letting go of your clutch way too fast
3. You aren't giving it enough gas

I know my launch method isn't exactly a drag type of launch but I'd like to keep my stock clutch for a while. Having this in mind, here's what I do

1. I don't like 5k rev limiter..its not high enough for me so I always rev it to 5.5k-6k by giving it gas once or twice while standing still then

2. give about half throttle and at the same time, release clutch about half way
This will let the car to surge forward, but not at so fast rate

3. Once you see the rpm from 5.5k-6k drop to about 4.5k, release the clutch all the way, then floor the gas. And the reason why I do this is because
a. Even if the car is surging forward, if the rpm drop is only to about 5k from the initial 5.5k-6k, then the wheels spin like crazy and the car doesn't go anywhere.
b. If the the rpm drops below 4.5k, the car bogs off the line no matter what.

It takes practice and bitterness from smelling your burnt clutch.
But its fun as hell!!
I'm not sure if I'm ready to try ' flooring at rev limit, then release the clutch ' though..
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Hey I just got a IX GSR on Sat and took it out today for a little Practice Launch before Sat when I hit the Strip. On my Practice runs, I set it at 4k to 5k (Still have Stock Limiter), but play with the gas, Rev up to 5k, let it drop to 4k, and repeat until you are ready to launch. When ready, I let a 1/4 of the clutch go fast but slow enough to not bog, apply gas a little more, Once the wheels grab, I drop the rest of the clutch and slam the gas...Didn't bog for me. 6 out of 9 tries.

I also tried flooring the gas and letting it bounce off of the 5k rev limiter, didn't work too well. For some reason, the IXs like to spin the wheels. All my launches, the IX spun all 4 for like a second, then grabed.

I think I almost Fooked up my IX though. hahaha On one of my launches, I set, then launched, it was a great launch with no bog and took off immediately, only thing was, once I dropped the clutch and floored the gas, rpms flew up and car was going 20 mph in 1st, then shifted to second, rpms flew to red while maintaining 20 mph. I stopped the car and let it rest for a few minutes, then checked to see if I Fooked anything up. It's fine...I think I dropped the clutch too fast and floored too early...

Last edited by EvoRicer; Feb 16, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock clutch is completely worthless. If you want a real launch with drivetrain shattering acceleration, you want get stronger clutch. The stocker is designed to slip so that certain drivetrain components may have a longer life. This "bogging" your describing is just the stock clutch slipping because it doesn't have a very high torque capacity. Get a better disc and stronger pressure plate and I garauntee you will no longer have this problem. If you can't afford one, then tough, the stock clutch isn't going to get any better. You can practice your technique on the stock clutch but you have to realize its limitations.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

try letting someone else with a IX that doesnt have a problem launching try it, that way there you'll know if its the car or you.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:14 PM

If you upgrade to a stage 2 stage 3 clutch and launch your evo will it still burn the clutch just like the stock one does?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have 8000 miles on my car i always rev to 7000+rpms and i drop the clutch,my clutch still fills strong i have done like 40+passes at the track and everything is still great i dont know what will happen if i keep doing it but when you race we risk a lot!