Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My throwout berring is stuck...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:14 PM

My throwout berring is stuck...

I am currently trying to replace my clutch and my old throwout berring is stuck in there and this is making me stuck in the process..I can't get the transmission to drop out, and I have been trying forever. I can't find anything about this anywhere on the internet. Please help me!

I own a 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII.

Thanks.. If you think you can help me better over the phone, just ask me for the number and I will PM you.

-evochik
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...3_4&tech_id=27
hope this helps
late
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

I am so sorry. I had the same problem. It took me 5 hours to just get my t/o bearing out of my clutch.
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:21 PM

That write up on the clutch install is what I am using. But I can't get the stupid berring out. It is stuck. Well, If anyone has anymore input let me know or call me or something..

-evochik
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ah yes the lovely throw-out bearing. I have found it much easier to have two flat tip screwdrivers coming in from two sides using two of the inspection holes in the tranny. Just be patient, you'll get it. Good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

You didnt read all over the net Read any of the how-tos on replacing the clutch. You need to kinda pry out on a little clip that holds it there. Shove a relatively small flathead in the little port at the bottom of the tranny. Shove it between the bearing and the spacer/washer looking thing (On the pressureplate side) and twist the screwdriver. It will pop it out slightly and you can remove the tranny.
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evoVIchik
I am currently trying to replace my clutch and my old throwout berring is stuck in there and this is making me stuck in the process..I can't get the transmission to drop out, and I have been trying forever. I can't find anything about this anywhere on the internet. Please help me!

I own a 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII.

Thanks.. If you think you can help me better over the phone, just ask me for the number and I will PM you.

-evochik
this is why im glad we got rid of the pull style throw out bearing and went with the tilton hyd. release bearing in our car.

there is an inspection point on the bottom of the transmission that has a rubber plug in it. remove the plug and place the head of a long flat head screwdriver between the throwout bearing and "release fork". as you push the "release fork" towards the engine, twist the screwdriver to seperate the two.
once the throwout bearing is seperated, you'll notice the "release fork" will be tension free and the transmission will be ready for removal.
Hope this helps

have you removed the transfer case completely from the car?
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

what's a berring? is it anything like a herring?
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

If you have the new clutch and throw-out bearing, push the bearing into the pressure plate and practice with the new clutch. It will give you an idea of how it works. You press down slightly on the bearing and wedge a flat head screwdriver between the bearing a retaining clip and twist. A small flashlight will help to see in the service hole but it is still hard to see.
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

i am having this same problem as we speak
Old Feb 16, 2006 | 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

IIRC, you actually need to push it in while you pry it out. It's goofy, but like someone said, try it on the new one and you'll see how it works.
Old Feb 17, 2006 | 08:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PeakBoost ken
as you push the "release fork" towards the engine, twist the screwdriver to seperate the two.
once the throwout bearing is seperated, you'll notice the "release fork" will be tension free.

have you removed the transfer case completely from the car?

this releases tension on the fingers of the wedge clip.
Old Feb 17, 2006 | 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

This can be a major PITA sometimes. Mine took an hout or so of playing with. After you do the screwdriver trick try to force the fork into position B (via evo moto or factory service manual) this is how mine finally popped off.
Old Feb 17, 2006 | 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

The way I did it is to wedge something between the shift fork (where the slave cyclinder pushes) and the enging block so that when you look through the bottom inspection hole the throw-out bearing is fully pressed against the pressure plate. Then insert screwdriver between the TOB and the pressure plate to seperate. PM me a phone number if you want me to call you and walk you through it. I have been in your shoes before.