Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quicker Boosting Turbo than Stock?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quicker Boosting Turbo than Stock?

Every aftermarket turbo I've seen seems to start making boost way later than the stock turbo...like 4000/4500 rpm or later. With all of my intake, exhaust, and fuel delivery mods, I'm getting a full 21psi from the stock turbo at 3000rpm.

I would think that with all of these ball-bearing/titanium/aluminum aftermarket units, someone would have a more refined turbo that spools just as quick or quicker than stock and still makes more boost. Why is that so rare? Educate me here because I've yet to see ONE that boosts quicker than stock.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Sure you can just pick up a 16g 6cm turbo and hit full boost at 2k.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Most, if not all, aftermarket turbos are geared to make more power. Making more power on a 2.0l engine means a bigger turbo which, in turn, means more lag. The only way you will get a faster spool is to go with a smaller turbo.

The advantages are faster spool but the downsides include: possible surge, no topend, increased intake air temps, etc.

I would say go with a stroker and the stock turbo and you will get full spool by 2k RPM.

BTW - the before mentioned problems will still be there.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can find them everywhere but you have to spend a significant amount of money.

Just to give you an example, Subaru sells their VF turbo series which are designed for a specific variety of aplications, there are some turbos that they sell that actually spool faster than stock and also get better top end like the VF23 series.

For our cars there are other alternatives like titanium wheels(tme 6.5) AKA Tommi Makinnen rally version turbo. You can also find full ball bearing turbos for better spinning capacity. Also you have a huge variety of aftermarket parts that mate with the stock turbo could make your turbo spool insanely faster than stock.

The mods I am refereing to are: Full exhaust, better air filter, better bigger LICP and UICP, sometimes even the headers and off course a good BOV.

In addition to that you can always count on sending your stock turbo to get it ported and polished.

I explained many alternatives and solutions. If you try what I mentioned you will find out that the Evo turbo is simply amazing. I boost 30psi under 3500rpm on stock turbo(just for the record).

Some turbo manufacturers have variable turbo geometry that makes the turbo spool up superfast then the blades change pitch as the turbo spool faster to give you more top end/boost.

Rally cars and some tuners use an additional injector that feeds the turbo in order to create boost consistently and eliminate turbo lag but is proven to be superanoying because the explosions that it makes..

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Feb 18, 2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be happy that you hit full boost at 3000rpm. I don't hit full boost until 3600 or so in my driving gears. I assume you weren't talking about 5th/6th gear, since that's not a normal gear to make spoolup claims (tons of load in top gear), so you hitting ~21psi in 1st through 3rd gear is mighty impressive.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

TME turbo will spool quicker than stock.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy
I would think that with all of these ball-bearing/titanium/aluminum aftermarket units, someone would have a more refined turbo that spools just as quick or quicker than stock and still makes more boost. Why is that so rare? Educate me here because I've yet to see ONE that boosts quicker than stock.
Don't confuse boost with volume. Just because a larger turbo doesn't "boost" as quickly as the stock one, doesn't mean it's not making more power.

Anyone have a 3071 vs 16g dyno chart handy?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote TME for quicker than stock boost threshold and response.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
I would say go with a stroker and the stock turbo and you will get full spool by 2k RPM.
I'm not necessarily looking for something that will spool that quick, just something no slower than stock, but still an improvement in boost and intake temps due to refined parts and design.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TME, has the titanium wheel (guts) lower weight of the rotating mass (compared to stock) and has a 10.5 hotside. OH WAIT! You are talking about an 05 correct? Isn't an 05 turbo the same as a TME Turbo? without the titanium internals? I guess the '03 I drive is now considered OLD SCHOOL?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you Carlos! Excellent information. I do have all of the mods you mention to maximize the stock turbo performance. (see my registry link in signature)

I'm looking hard at the TME but a couple of things concern me. Is it not ball bearing? And are there surge issues with the TME 6.5? I see Buschur mentions surge issues with their "20G TME" model, and I can NOT have surge. I'm getting a little right now with my setup and I spend most of my time driving on very tight mountain roads with a lot of throttle modulation. This surge is driving me nuts. (I'm recirculating and all that)

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
You can find them everywhere but you have to spend a significant amount of money.

Just to give you an example, Subaru sells their VF turbo series which are designed for a specific variety of aplications, there are some turbos that they sell that actually spool faster than stock and also get better top end like the VF23 series.

For our cars there are other alternatives like titanium wheels(tme 6.5) AKA Tommi Makinnen rally version turbo. You can also find full ball bearing turbos for better spinning capacity. Also you have a huge variety of aftermarket parts that mate with the stock turbo could make your turbo spool insanely faster than stock.

The mods I am refereing to are: Full exhaust, better air filter, better bigger LICP and UICP, sometimes even the headers and off course a good BOV.

In addition to that you can always count on sending your stock turbo to get it ported and polished.

I explained many alternatives and solutions. If you try what I mentioned you will find out that the Evo turbo is simply amazing. I boost 30psi under 3500rpm on stock turbo(just for the record).

Some turbo manufacturers have variable turbo geometry that makes the turbo spool up superfast then the blades change pitch as the turbo spool faster to give you more top end/boost.

Rally cars and some tuners use an additional injector that feeds the turbo in order to create boost consistently and eliminate turbo lag but is proven to be superanoying because the explosions that it makes..

my .2c

Carlos
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
TME, has the titanium wheel (guts) lower weight of the rotating mass (compared to stock) and has a 10.5 hotside. OH WAIT! You are talking about an 05 correct? Isn't an 05 turbo the same as a TME Turbo? without the titanium internals? I guess the '03 I drive is now considered OLD SCHOOL?
Yeah I don't think I would benefit as much from the TME on my '05. Maybe I'll just have my stocker ported/polished and see about getting the TME shaft to replace the stocker. Although I understand the TME housing is also a more heat resistant material, and my driving conditions are a little tougher on it than your average drag racer/street racer.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Just be happy that you hit full boost at 3000rpm. I don't hit full boost until 3600 or so in my driving gears. I assume you weren't talking about 5th/6th gear, since that's not a normal gear to make spoolup claims (tons of load in top gear), so you hitting ~21psi in 1st through 3rd gear is mighty impressive.
Yeah that's low gears. I hardly get a chance to run 5th gear hard around here...roads are too tight.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about an evo 9 turbo....they just had a another thread saying it makes another 15-20 whp and spools faster.....YES FINALLY CONTRIBUTING TO THIS WEBSITE!!!! LOL

cheers
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
what about an evo 9 turbo....they just had a another thread saying it makes another 15-20 whp and spools faster.....
Interesting...I wonder what's different. I'll have to look for that thread.

Oh, and would the TME benefit from a port and polish much, or is it pretty much all set from the factory?

Quick Reply: Quicker Boosting Turbo than Stock?