Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question on Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question on Clutch Install

Ok let me start off by saying I searched and didn't find anything specific to what I am experiencing.

I followed the step by step guide on EvoMoto.com exactly. Where it notes that the TOB will seat itself on clutch engagment, I was like good. So I continued to bolt up everything and tightened everything. I also replaced my clutch line at this time with a SS line and took out the restritor. All went well.

UNTIL I tried to push the pedal down. What is happening is the clutch cylinder is all the way out pushing the clutch fork all the way left (if you are standing in front of the car looking down at the tranny). The fork is forced left and not allowing the TOB to seat itself correctly on the wedge collar. Am I right in saying that the fork has to be engaged on the collar for it to disengage when you push the clutch down forcing the cylinder to push the fork left? Am I missing something here?

What do I have to do in order for the TOB to engage on the collar? I started the car and nothing. Starts fine and clutch is hard and feels fine just won't do anything cause I think I have to get that engaged for it to allow me to shift or do anything. Am I correct and can anyone help me?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Zach
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

anyone have any comments/help???
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i put mine in i just moved the thing in the direction of the wedge collar by hand looking down the hole before i even got the trans totally bolted up... i think you might need to take the slave loose from its mount and move the tob in the direction of the wedge collar while looking down the top access hole.... because the slave moves it away but i would think it would seat on the first full pump hopefully it will seat or else you have problems

Last edited by BaLListic_EVO; Feb 21, 2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BaLListic_EVO
when i put mine in i just moved the thing in the direction of the wedge collar by hand looking down the hole before i even got the trans totally bolted up... i think you might need to take the slave loose from its mount and move the tob in the direction of the wedge collar while looking down the top access hole.... hopefully it will seat or else you have problems
I tried this tonight and it didn't do anything. The fork will move towards the collar once I take off the slave cylinder but it does nothing. I used a pry bar and pushed real hard on the fork and moved it towards the collar. Should I get in there with a screwdriver and see if I can force it on? Or am I risking knocking off the collar?

I can take a picture tomorrow but I think you get what I am saying...

~Zach
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm maybe the collar and the tob arent lining up i dunno.. perhaps if u jiggle it around a little bit it will go in..... you shouldnt have to pry anything its supposed to slide right in no problems hopefully you havent damaged the wedge collar....
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm maybe the collar and the tob arent lining up i dunno.. perhaps if u jiggle it around a little bit it will go in..... you shouldnt have to pry anything its supposed to slide right in no problems hopefully you havent damaged the wedge collar....

Thats what I thought....collar looks good but I did have to play with it a little in order to make sure it was installed correctly. Maybe I will get a light in there and play with it a little tomorrow. Thanks for the help. All I needed was the kick in the pants to make sure I was thinking about this the correct way. Thanks man I appreciate it!

~Zach
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Morning bump to see if anyone else has experienced this......

~Zach
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same advice as Ballistic. I also did the same thing and seated mine before the tranny was fully bolted up. It popped in and "clicked" very easily, no force was necessary.

You can get a good look from the top of the tranny through the breather port or lower port with a flashlight and see visually whether or not your TOB is seated.

Have you tried starting the car and running it?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

yeah no matter what that write up said i made sure it seated before i put everything back together to avoid having to drop everything again......
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

you fix it yet????
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

you fix it yet????
Alright just got back from the shop earlier and no go. The tranny has to come out again....

I was able to push it in and engage it but I believe we are missing something. Is there a little ring behind the pressure plate that needs to be there to help hold in the wedge collar?

I took a look at the stock components and saw a little ring behind the collar and realized the new one did not come with this. It also makes sense on how it would hold the pressure plate. I was like how are those little fingers that it has going to hold that much force. I all make sense now and the tranny comes back out again on friday...

Any tips this time around????

~Zach
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

ugh man i hate that that has to leave you with a sinking feeling in your stomach......btw i would order a new wedge collar dont use that one off the old pressure plate... then again what kinda clutch did you buy???

Last edited by BaLListic_EVO; Feb 22, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

ugh man i hate that that has to leave you with a sinking feeling in your stomach......btw i would order a new wedge collar dont use that one off the old pressure plate... then again what kinda clutch did you buy???
ACT 2600 and ACT streetlight flywheel. Can I reuse the stock one, it looks to be in perfect condition?

Car only has 30,000 miles....

~Zach
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by phenem
ACT 2600 and ACT streetlight flywheel. Can I reuse the stock one, it looks to be in perfect condition?

Car only has 30,000 miles....

~Zach
thats odd....I just installed the HD street ACT clutch (don't know P/N) and their ProLite flywheel. Everything was included in the package. The wedge collar was all preassembled on the pressure plate. If you think yours is missing I would get in touch with Dirk from ACT, he will help you out.

There is a possibility that your collar was knocked off getting the tranny in place, I have read warnings about this in several how-to's.

Anyway, Good Luck.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmmm interesting sounds to me maybe you got the wrong clutch i believe ACT assembles them with that collar...... you may want to check into your part number before you put it back together.... and btw no i wouldnt dare reuse that wedge collar again thats kinda like buying a used stock disc and putting it in.... its just cheaper and easier in the long run to replace it... yeah the clutch i just installed was the mb7hdss it included everything tob ,alignment ,tool ,collar and disc...

Last edited by BaLListic_EVO; Feb 23, 2006 at 03:19 PM.