Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BG synchromesh vs. pennzoil sychromesh

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
I had a $7000 experience with Pennzoil. I use BG... Lokey Mitsu in Clearwater, FL sells it for $9.XX per bottle.

o wow...9 a bottle!? damn thats cheap!!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

good info!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

anyone know where to get the bg for 9 a bottle??
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where can we get that stuff online? BG or Penzoil syncromesh at a good price...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I went from Pennzoil to BG. But I got BGII, the synthetic kind. Both were very similar for the first couple months of having it in, however, Pennzoil's lubricancy (word?) got lost after about 2 months of usage. It felt like stock again. I currently still run BGII right now and it's lasted 5 months with no degredation so far (in terms of shifting feel). They both shift like **** on a cold morning though, but only for like 10minutes. I'm also one of those ones who have a 2nd gear grinding issue, and no...neither of them fixed the problem (it helped a little bit only).

Overall, Pennzoil is cheap, but make sure you change it out VERY often, cuz it breaks down quick (I guess the cheapness would be offsetted by how many times you have to pay someone to replace the fluid, unless you do it yourself). They say BGII is supposed to last some ridiculous amount of time, like 30k miles on average, simply cuz its synthetic.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
I went from Pennzoil to BG. But I got BGII, the synthetic kind. Both were very similar for the first couple months of having it in, however, Pennzoil's lubricancy (word?) got lost after about 2 months of usage. It felt like stock again. I currently still run BGII right now and it's lasted 5 months with no degredation so far (in terms of shifting feel). They both shift like **** on a cold morning though, but only for like 10minutes. I'm also one of those ones who have a 2nd gear grinding issue, and no...neither of them fixed the problem (it helped a little bit only).

Overall, Pennzoil is cheap, but make sure you change it out VERY often, cuz it breaks down quick (I guess the cheapness would be offsetted by how many times you have to pay someone to replace the fluid, unless you do it yourself). They say BGII is supposed to last some ridiculous amount of time, like 30k miles on average, simply cuz its synthetic.

AWSOME!!!! JUST WAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! thanks soo much man!!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bg is great, it will make your shifting smoother, add a short shifter+bushings your good to go....
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
Bg is great, it will make your shifting smoother, add a short shifter+bushings your good to go....
2 quarts? 2.5?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got it done by a friend who is a mechanic, he just told me to buy 3 quarts...thats all you need......
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
i got it done by a friend who is a mechanic, he just told me to buy 3 quarts...thats all you need......
put all 3 quarts in full?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evolusion
put all 3 quarts in full?
keep pouring until it flows out
Old Feb 23, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yea, 3qts is all you need. It may seem like you're gonna run out as you pour it in, but as long as you don't accidently spill any trying to fill it up, you should be right on the money with 3qts.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
Yea, 3qts is all you need. It may seem like you're gonna run out as you pour it in, but as long as you don't accidently spill any trying to fill it up, you should be right on the money with 3qts.
3qts it is..
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Do not use Pennzoil. I had it tested after my tranny exploded. The oil had broken down and burnt. It was 2 weeks old, but this happened at the track in 90+ degree weather after several hard runs. The car didn't actually have any problems until the next day when I was merging on the interstate after work.
The other issue was that the mechanic actually put Pennzoil in my transfer case (like a DSM). So I blew my transfer case as well. Thankfully, it was covered under a special insurance coverage (mechanical breakdown) from GEICO so I only spent $1000 on upgraded parts and the rest was covered by insurance.

Since then I have used BG and have never had problems. It's been to the track 3 times since that happened to me in summer of 2004. Also, I would recommend Dynaqueen (sp?) from Mitsu for your transfer case. I'm posting this from learning the hard way.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Tried Pennzoil...didn't like it...went back to dynaqueen.
The Pennzoil syncromesh viscosity seems a little thin and needs to be change often since its non-synthetic and breaks down quicker. After 5000 miles mine looked dark and a little 'watery'. Yes, it does improve shifting, but I'm leary of how well the pennzoil is protecting the transfer case gears over time?

Quick Reply: BG synchromesh vs. pennzoil sychromesh