Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BG synchromesh vs. pennzoil sychromesh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did my transfer case with daiqueen and tranny with bg sycroshoft II. Got both em @ mitsu dealer and the guy that does the service on evos @ this particular dealership recomends this combo. Thanks alot Dan and the guys @ UCC for letting me use the shop.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are some of the chemical properties of Pennzoil Synchromesh:

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/Do...omeshFluid.PDF
Old May 15, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Az3ar
almost the same thing. GM syncromesh and penzoil are the same thing exactly. BG does the same thing but its expensive.

you won't notice any difference if you are trying to get to that point.
Great...I've been shelling out $14/bottle for GM Synchromesh at the Chevy dealer when I could have gotten Penzoil... Thanks for the tip!
Old May 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
another good mix is one bottle of redline mt90 and two bottles of bf synchroshift 2. this will break down slower and it thicker.
Old May 15, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Stay away from Royal Purple Syncro fluid....it feel like shifting through mud and this is 5000 miles after I had it put in. First and Reverse are hard to engage when cold and the overall feel of the trans is garbage. I'm going back to BG as soon as I can afford the trip to the shop.
Old May 15, 2006, 02:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by machron1
Great...I've been shelling out $14/bottle for GM Synchromesh at the Chevy dealer when I could have gotten Penzoil... Thanks for the tip!
I thought everyone knew... the Pen has the GM part numbers right on the front of the bottle...
Old May 15, 2006, 02:49 PM

BG Syncro Shift II is the way to go i guess... i have amsoil in there right now, but am currently suffering from the infamous 4th to 5th gear syncro grinding. I'll have to change it and let you know how it turns out.
Old May 15, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I thought everyone knew... the Pen has the GM part numbers right on the front of the bottle...
I actually noticed that, but I just figured it meant it was comparable to the GM stuff, not that it was the GM stuff. Kinda like AutoZone lists a splitfire spark plug as an alternate to the NGK/Denso...but you would be nutty to run splitfires...

I wish I could go back to the Chebby dealer and dump my tranny oil on their counter & get my money back...with all the $$ I've wasted over the years I could have a friggin lifetime supply of Penzoil in my garage by now...

I am teh pwned

EDIT: I just remembered where I got that lame-*** idea: The tech who serviced my car a long time ago said he wouldn't put Penzoil in because Penzoil uses some recycled base that would destroy my tranny, and that I needed to get it from GM directly because it's better...and he claimed to know everything about DSMs...what a jerk-off moron, serves me right to listen to people like him who think they know it all but know nothing...

Tons of people around here know this guy too (his name is Mike) and I thought he knew what he was talking about. Apparently he just likes to THINK he knows what he's talking about...

EDIT Part II: I just remembered he's also the guy who installed the eccentric bolts in the bottom holes instead of the top on my front suspension, then said I didn't need an alignment because he didn't change anything...well, 2,000 miles and 3 (mis)alignments from a different tech later (it never drove quite right and chewed up my Advans) the Firestone guy pointed out the mistake, fixed it, and gave me a dead *****-on alignment...

Last edited by machron1; May 15, 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 17, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
I actually noticed that, but I just figured it meant it was comparable to the GM stuff, not that it was the GM stuff. Kinda like AutoZone lists a splitfire spark plug as an alternate to the NGK/Denso...but you would be nutty to run splitfires...
you are incorrect. the penzoil syncromesh is the EXACT SAME fluid as the gm syncromesh. the ONLY difference between the fluids is the price
Old May 17, 2006, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
And just for good measure, synchromesh is mediocre for the 6 speed. Either use the Super Diaqueen or a GL-4 75W-85 EXACT equivalent. Mopar has a fully synthetic that fits the bill which I like. PM me for the part number if interested.

I had the BG and hated in my MR. Just my experience.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

there is only 1 Pennzoil syncromesh fluid right? I don't have different weight options that I have to look out for correct?

I just bought some at the local parts store, there were only the GM parts numbers on there so I assumed it was only one application and there weren't multiple options for the fluid.

THANKS for any input
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:18 PM

at jnztuning.com you can get bg for 11.99