Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I want to blow up my engine!!! (Edited)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
and now Shiv's fan boys are coninuing to stir the pot with the argument that some how the ONLY way to properly tune a car is with a load bearing dyno
Al, YGPM
Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
If you want to put your car on a track, you have to deal with the fact that it's going to cost MONEY to do so, period. This money isn't just when you write your check for tracktime, folks. I would budget for a refreshening of a motor once a season, if you're lucky.

I know, it SOUNDS like overkill, but that's just the way it is, period. Pay to play or stay home and wax your car.
Add to that one more thing that road racing your car will cost:

TIME

You will have to be able to allocate the necessary time as well as the $$$ to maintain your car. I can attest to the fact that I have been bitten by this several times last year, and I ended up having to eat a couple of registration fees because I could not get my car up to a satisfactory pre-race condition (i.e. oil change, brake flush, general inspection, tires, etc.)

l8r)
Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eclipsed Evo
I agree with Super Hatch. How can you tell if your car is at 400whp or 415whp? You just cant tell with a butt dyno. So you cant tell that your car is running at the highest safe hp that it could be. I'm sure your car runs great but there is a chance that it could be better with some dyno time. The thing I have a problem with is telling everyone that road tuning is better then dyno when its not true.
I definetly agree with this point... Buddy of mine was tuning a 500hp honda yesterday, the airfuel was reading 11.1 making about 430hp on 23psi per wastegate spring..on C16. He would lean it out make a pass air fuel kept reading 11.1, but on the graph the hp jumped from 430 to 445, then leaned it out some more, air fuel was not exactly 11.1 anymore but it was fluctuating 11.1 to 11.2, and the car was up to 460hp. So in about 4 passes hp jumped from 430 to 460hp, by the time he leaned it out to 11.5 the car was at 497hp, this was all without messing with ignition timing yet. My point is that the car was leaned out about 15% up top in 4 passes, but the wideband only showed .1 leaner which = about 15 - 30 extra hp. He would not have known that on the road, but by looking at the graph on the dyno, he could tell exactly where the hp pick was on the dyno graph. On the road you probably cant tell if your car has picked up 15hp just by leaning it out .1 air fuel points, When he got to the timing, he advanced it 3/4 of a degree from 7000 on up and the torque jumped from 299tq(dam hondas) to 310tq, and again there is no way you would have known that on the road. Ended up with 512hp and 317tq 22-23psi b16 with 84 bore stock stroke 1.7liter
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
however, the stock rod bolts were not designed to to hours and hours or road racing at high rpms.

Thanks
Al, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Many of my friends, and me have spent DAYS on the track, without any sort of issue. My car goes to the track at least once a month, on average. Some groups run four 45 min sessions, which is more than 2/3rds a tank of gas per session. My car has 35k miles, without any problems. Our man paul G, goes to the track probably 2 times a month, and his car has close to 40k miles with no issues. Hell, even Asitha (Vishnu_evo8) who runs a big turbo kit, and a race gas map has not had a single rod issue. All of this is without dropping our oil pans and of course, on stock rod bolts.

Some things on the evo don't stand up to sustained lapping so well. *cough* powersteering pumps *cough* But other the bottom end on 99% of the cars is fantastic.

And if you have any doubts that we do not punish our cars...take a look at my brakes...

Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:21 PM
Account Disabled

Al, and Dustin I'm going to have to disagree with both of you.... I prefer the Load Dyno Road Tune where we actually load the dyno onto a highway and face the Evo against traffic, so that in fact when the Evo throttles foward the whole dynometer moves with traffic even though the Evo is heading against it. This obviously incorporates every known variable and even stop and go traffic. It is with both the Dynometer and the Road I am able to tune my Evo with utmost perfection dwarfing any other tuner with just a dyno or a road. I have just incorporated a road tune and a load bearing dyno at the same time which is far better then any other tuner ever.

I patented the Dyno Road Procedure and I am currently flashing Evo's next week on the LIE during Rush hour, sign up Below.

Last edited by Technical XTC; Feb 24, 2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:28 PM
Account Disabled

So far we have Shiv and Dustin for my custom Dyno Road tune, keep on adding.

1. SHIV
2. Dustin@vishnu
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Technical XTC
So far we have Shiv and Dustin for my custom Dyno Road tune, keep on adding.

1. SHIV
2. Dustin@vishnu
3. Swordfish

I'm in! Can we also simulate rain by having a water hose spray the car while dynoing on the roadmaster 5000 multifunctional antidirectional JDM dyno? .. and possibly a nozzle to vary the droplet size. Bigger droplets = more drag.

jeff
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
And if you have any doubts that we do not punish our cars...take a look at my brakes...

They looked brand new till I drove it
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by swordfish
I'm in! Can we also simulate rain by having a water hose spray the car while dynoing on the roadmaster 5000 multifunctional antidirectional JDM dyno? .. and possibly a nozzle to vary the droplet size. Bigger droplets = more drag.

jeff
We actully use a very large pool where the dynometer is submerged into about 6 inches, which of course simulates a heavilly flooded road and use sump pumps along the side to dump water on the sides and front of the car at 70MPH for rain effect.

ALL of this of course is being towed on a flatbed which OF COURSE is on the ROAD, during a rain storm, to get that DOUBLE rain effect so my tune will be TWICE as good as any other rain tune.

Lets recap, rain, double rain, road, and a dyno, I dare anyone to try to trump that.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

trump that
I use a moon dyno ...
Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SaabTuner
I use a moon dyno ...
Sir, The moons gravity and the earth gravity are VERY different. Now if you were racing on the moon sir then you would have me beat.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
Account Disabled

Gentleman, I just wanted to say that it was great to be IBTL.

Gods speed.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:30 PM
KTT
Evolving Member

For all those who have contributed meaningful information to this thread..... Thank you! It has been a good read. You are the reason I still login.

Shivvvvvvv, why are you back/still in this thread? It mystifies me that you play these games and still have customers... The last time I said that, a previous thread, I qualified it by saying "I am not on Al's side either". I still am not, even though I am happy with his work he is not easy to get along with. After the mods deleted your initial posts why are you back in this thread Shiv? I mean what giv?.....

Oh and Dustin your snide instagation is not helping Vishnu's cause either. Maybe you should focus on that 0 sales rating...........................

Last edited by KTT; Feb 24, 2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Both Shiv and Al's "discussion" has been moved to OT in a thread called Friday night at the fights...

Speedlimit..
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Technical XTC
Sir, The moons gravity and the earth gravity are VERY different. Now if you were racing on the moon sir then you would have me beat.
I think you missed the alusion there. Shiv probably got it. Where's a moon dyno when you need one, right Shiv?

+1 for a tune on a load dyno followed by a checkup/tune on the street. There's a reason that the factory tunes engines on both a dyno and the track.