Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I want to blow up my engine!!! (Edited)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so are you saying that putting a MBC in without tuning and fuel mods is bad? even if i set it at 19 pounds?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:38 AM

What's the clicking sound that you are getting? Is it a constant clicking sound at all time? Coz i'm getting a clicking sound when the boost is about to come in.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, that's what I mean bakari... I wanted people to know that "flash" can also mean custom tune...
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

I have a MBC on and I'm boosting at 20psi. that's the only real mod I have other than a clutch kit. So I'm hoping my car should be fine. I guess it's time to get an A/F gauge.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electr0
so are you saying that putting a MBC in without tuning and fuel mods is bad? even if i set it at 19 pounds?
YES!!!

The biggest problem is you don't know what you're changing. Every Evo is different and some guys get knock and others don't. Always err on the side of caution and make sure you know exactly what you are changing before you change it.

1. When you add more boost you are effectively raising your compression ratio. Which can cause knock.
2. When you add more boost you are taking the 16G out of it's peak efficency range
Which will create more heat and cause knock
3. When you add more boost you are creating a greater need for fuel.
If you don't get that fuel you will cause knock.

I am about 9k deep in rebuilding my evo (yes you can do it for cheaper but I have learned the "cheap" lesson already)

"The more you know"
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:57 AM

man that sucks, i had an 04 tiburon do that after 20k miles, but it was something with factory bs, the oil wasnt flowing correctly and the lifters locked up :P damn koreans
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WEVO
What's the clicking sound that you are getting? Is it a constant clicking sound at all time? Coz i'm getting a clicking sound when the boost is about to come in.
Mine came at 2.5k - 3k which is when I would start spooling (which is typically when 4G63s run the leanest) Most of my driving was done is that range too

The only way for you to figure out what your ticking is from is to start moitoring and datalogging.

Find a logging tool that will also import data from a WB o2. Figure out your timing, AFRs, injector duty rates, air intake temps, etc. All of this will help you find what is causing your ticking. And if everything checks out OK then it could be as simple as you have a loose wire that is bumping something behind the dash.

BTW - Taking it to the dealer will do nothing. Dealers just read the FSM and then they "new part swap" until the problem is fixed. Which will cost you more money and more aggrivation.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

were you tuned on a dyno?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blitz118
Why is putting in 2600lb pressure plate not a good idea?
That is a lot of clamping force that will be transmitted elsewhere in the drivetrain. If you were to accidently pull off the clutch too soon there will be a good amount of shock that will be delivered to the crank/transmission/x-case. That shock will be looking for the weaklink and expose it to you in the most abrupt way

What brand pressure plate were you running?
Stock. I was just giving an example of EvoM members that make a change but doesn't know how the change is affecting the car

Did the flash cause your engine failure?
No, me not monitoring the car caused my failure.

Why didn't you have the necessary gauges to monitor your car?
Because I am stupid. Please don't be like me ::seriously::
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good post. I'm also sorry to hear what happened to you. I take what I read on these forums with a grain of salt. I have many years of experience with cars and only do modifications that make sense to me. Even then I'm not hesitant to ask the profesionals for advice if I'm in doubt. Monitoring your engines vital signs is definitely a good way to help prevent future problems.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
were you tuned on a dyno?
I was road tuned. The car was very quick and felt very good. My first "neon sign" that something was wrong should have been the excessive amounts of timing that was being pulled during my track day events. (I didn't know it but I could feel a substantial loss of power at the track)

FYI - I put down ~255hp ~265lb/ft with my minimal mods on a very stingy dyno.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Road tune ?? Must be AL
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:30 AM

i agree with the whole research idea. i have a 2006 mitsubishi lancer evolution ix mr and i didnt do my research and added 720cc fuel injectors. as soon as they were installed with the rest of my mods i blew a head gasket. huge pop and liquid flowing everywhere. it was coolant crazy. good advice man!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hey man...........I way talking to the service guy at my dealership and he wa stelling me they had a bone stock car get a brand new bottom end..........and the guy who drove it wa seasy on it.............for all you know your car was made on a friday...........
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Custom to me is the car being dyno tuned not a mail in flash.

Quick Reply: I want to blow up my engine!!! (Edited)