Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Got the IX baby... couple ?'s about TBE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the IX baby... couple ?'s about TBE

I got a IX... black, wheels paint matched to the car, ssl package. Im at about 450 miles on it right now and have been taking it easy, keeping it under 4K but usually under 3K. I was thinking about what i wanted to do and I think that im going for the Buschur TBE and then getting flashed, maybe a boost guage and keeping it at that... for now lol. My concern was with the cat or test pipe. Can you smell it when a car is running a test pipe, and what are the negatives to running a test pipe compared to losing a few hp and getting the cat? thanks much.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:16 AM

won't pass emissions, louder, more black smoke, dirty rear bumper.

Would like to see your painted 9 wheels though!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8

+1

It all depends on how much an extra 10-15whp means to you. What usually happends is that an EVO dynos at a certain amount or runs a certain time and the need for just a little extra power overcomes some and people ditch the stock cat or HFC for a Test Pipe.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8

I was thinking about painting my wheels black. Please post a pic i am curious to see how they came out
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chrisalishuss, if you plan on getting that combo of mods, then you should get the IX package in my sig. It has the BR TBE, gauge+pod, MBC, and a custom mail-in dynoflash for those mods. The combined price is great, especially since it includes shipping and gets you to 330whp (if not more) right away.

As for the test pipe issue, the great thing with this package is that you can choose either a test pipe or HFC, so whatever you decided, you can get either with no change in the package price. Also, all the BR TBEs now come with the new bullet muffler that is lighter, faster, quieter, and nicer-looking. Having a test pipe will give more power, but it's usually louder, will likely cause you to fail emissions (if you have them), can get you in trouble if the authorities find out (extremely rare), and yes, it will smell a little fumy sometimes. It's not that bad, though.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
(if you have them), can get you in trouble if the authorities find out (extremely rare), and yes, it will smell a little fumy sometimes. It's not that bad, though.
His in South Cali he will get cought. Cops there are not bad but they will go on their knees to take a look. I lived their and thats about $10K ticket.

Do you want to pay that? they will take payments if you dont have the whole amount... finance too with low apr and yes they will get you approved.

I would go with High flow cat in Cali and keep the stock one for the emession after 5 years.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I think i will just do that. Do you accept pay pal? I wanted to just go with the HFC cause the highway patrol and the IPD are pretty tense around here when it comes to emissions. I have a couple ?'s for you about the package. First I am assuming i have to send you my ecu. Do you have a diagram of how to remove it so I can send it to you? How long does it take to get it back so I can use my car to go to work and school? And after i get it flashed do I need to go somewhere and have it fine tuned? thanks
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisalishuss
I think i will just do that. Do you accept pay pal? I wanted to just go with the HFC cause the highway patrol and the IPD are pretty tense around here when it comes to emissions. I have a couple ?'s for you about the package. First I am assuming i have to send you my ecu. Do you have a diagram of how to remove it so I can send it to you? How long does it take to get it back so I can use my car to go to work and school? And after i get it flashed do I need to go somewhere and have it fine tuned? thanks
1) Click on that link in my sig that explains the packages and how to order them. You will call Buschur Racing and ask for the Warrtalon package for your IX. They will accept payment, then ship to you right away.

2) Yes, you will remove your ECU, which is extremely easy, then send it in to get flashed for those mods. The instructions can be found on Dynoflash.com, but it's easier than you think, so no worries. Hundreds and hundreds of people have done it. When you make your order at Buschur Racing, ask them real quick to make sure where to send the ECU. They will explain everything in detail.

3) You won't need to get fine-tuned, but later in the life of your car, if you add more mods, you can always benefit from a custom tune (road or dyno tune) from Al @ Dynoflash who is the one who provides the flashing for these packages. It takes 2 days to send in, get reflashed, and get sent back as long as you use Fedex overnight. Al will Fedex it overnight back to you for sure, but just be sure to call and make sure he's not out of town on a tuning trip before sending. It's best to get the ECU there on Tuesday or Wednesday, because he's almost always at home in the shop between tuning weekends.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

congrats on your new evo 9. you got it at south coast right ... those wheels look sharp !
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisalishuss
I got a IX... black, wheels paint matched to the car, ssl package. Im at about 450 miles on it right now and have been taking it easy, keeping it under 4K but usually under 3K. I was thinking about what i wanted to do and I think that im going for the Buschur TBE and then getting flashed, maybe a boost guage and keeping it at that... for now lol. My concern was with the cat or test pipe. Can you smell it when a car is running a test pipe, and what are the negatives to running a test pipe compared to losing a few hp and getting the cat? thanks much.

So, you got the Black GSR w/ SSL with the custom painted black rims at South Coast. I was there on the 5th and almost bought those rims to put on my IX, but didn't. That car looks sharp with the rims already painted black.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Feb 26, 2006 at 12:11 PM.