Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird Boost Spike

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, Girlie, that is exactly what Chris's boost looks like on the dyno.

Chris, have you cleaned out the bleed hole on the MBC already?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Girlie
Did you make sure that the bleed hole is clean on the UNOS? After watching the video, even after 2 flashes it was still evident. After Al cleaned it, it went away and stayed nice and flat for the remaining pulls. Al even made a comment about after the first pull when he cleaned it. Just want to make sure it's not something that can be easily fixed for ya..

Girlie

well i have the hallman MBC so i dont think it applies to me
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTKage
well i have the hallman MBC so i dont think it applies to me
Could it be a Hallman+IX thing...? How was Joshd's when he had your Hallman Clay?

Girlie
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Could it be a Hallman+IX thing...? How was Joshd's when he had your Hallman Clay?

Girlie
It seemed to work perfectly, but I don't have a MAP sensor boost chart to show it for sure. I also wasn't there when he did it. My Hallman was at TSF, and they put it on Josh's car when he came by to test it out.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

well i ll look at the mbc, make sure it s clean, i ll let u guys know
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Joshd posted a chart with the turbosmart MBC, Chris had the Forge. Both had the same mail in flash. One had a double spike like me(Forge user) the other no double spike but a taper issue. I would think that the problem lies in the MBC more than anything else. Maybe someone else running a Hallman could chime in on this.

Girlie
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

what i dont understand i had the same MBC on my 05 EVO 8 and i didnt have that problem
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

what i dont understand i had the same MBC on my 05 EVO 8 and i didnt have that problem
MIVEC

MBC's have a hard time keeping boost steady with the cam timing changes.

Girlie
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

yeh that s what i figured, it s a timing issue, i know the car is knocking duriong that double spike, form the log i have done, so i hope with some ecu tuning it will solve the problem. if not i ll have to try that forge UNOS MBC
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeh that s what i figured, it s a timing issue, i know the car is knocking duriong that double spike, form the log i have done, so i hope with some ecu tuning it will solve the problem. if not i ll have to try that forge UNOS MBC
I have the Forge and am having the double spike. I think the way to go is an electronic unit......Or control boost with the ECU (like stock)....
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Wow, Girlie, that is exactly what Chris's boost looks like on the dyno.

Chris, have you cleaned out the bleed hole on the MBC already?
Clay,

I have not touched the MBC in ~800 miles. When I had it open it looked perfectly clean to me....

I am going to try to find someone at Mitsubishi Racing to see what they are doing to the IXs. I suspect it has something to do with the MIVEC, back pressure, and rate of boost change (but that is just an uneducated guess) and the affects to the MBC.

I WISH Buschur had some ideas.....I have 100% confidence that he'll know what is going on ....Maybe with your new partnership you can get his $0.02....Hope all is well in Colorado.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Did you make sure that the bleed hole is clean on the UNOS? After watching the video, even after 2 flashes it was still evident. After Al cleaned it, it went away and stayed nice and flat for the remaining pulls. Al even made a comment about after the first pull when he cleaned it. Just want to make sure it's not something that can be easily fixed for ya..

Girlie
Girlie,

How did Al clean the MBC? Did he use just compressed air or a cleaner? Is this a problem we will have to constantly deal with? Thanks for the graphs....
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Girlie,

How did Al clean the MBC? Did he use just compressed air or a cleaner? Is this a problem we will have to constantly deal with? Thanks for the graphs....
It's only to clean out the anodizing material that gets stuck in the bleed hole. Once it's out, it won't re-materialize unless you go get it re-anodized. I don't remember what Al uses, but he wrote it up in his thread designed specifically to address this issue. Remember, we're only talking about the little bleed hole. I think he got a pin small enough to fit, and scraped everything out. After that, some compressed air wouldn't hurt...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Chris - after seeing girlie's plot, which looks exactly like yours, we clearly need to clean out your Forge MBC.

My latest plot doesn't show a double spike because of the extreme smoothing, but I do see it on the road. I've seen it to a greater or lesser extent with all of the controllers I've used. The Forge was just the worst.

I think there is enough data here to show that MBCs do have a harder time controlling boost on the IX ... however, I'm still not convinced that a little tightening of the wastegate actuator won't help things a bit.

Also - chris ... you don't really want 21psi at redline on the stock turbo with stock exhaust. I don't have the compressor map, but I'd be willing to bet that it would be out of it's effeciency range. 18-19psi is probably something better to shoot for ... I'm only 3+ psi off

By the way, I think you should be the first one to buy the EBC and let us know how it works
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joshd

By the way, I think you should be the first one to buy the EBC and let us know how it works
I'll second that

Al uses a the little tool you clean a torch tip with. And like Clay said, it's just the bleed hole, not the insides with the spring and ball.

Girlie

Quick Reply: Weird Boost Spike