Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Very long post of thoughts from David Buschur.......

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
boomtown,

To wish on me that my guys learn how to tune so they can all go an open their own shops is about the biggest slap in the face you could have given me, for that........your post stunk. Other than that it was interesting to read what you had to say. In conclusion what you are recommending to us is this, "Anyone employed by someone else should learn what the head of the company knows and then go start their own company. Then in order to supply any product they may need they should have it built in China." Great input on your part.

I also have a big problem with illegal aliens. I do not agree with trinydex on much of anything he has pointed out and for someone preaching about education you would think that in the multiple posts you made you could have used atleast 1 capital letter

I have a quote here I keep on my desk from Theodore Roosevelt, dated 1907. Here it is:

"In the fist place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equallity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an Amercan.....There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag....We have room for but one laguage here, and that is the English language....and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

I agree with this statement made 100 years ago completely.

Number one thing that pisses me off is going to the bank and using the ATM and the first freaking thing I have to do is pick if I want my menu in English or Spanish. Where the hell am I? Mexico? No, I am in the USA and I shouldn't have to make a choice like that. Same thing with automated phone systems, don't speak to me in Spanish or ask me to press "1" to hear my freaking choices in English. It is not a choice. If you come here learn to speak freaking English.

Before some knuckly head jumps my butt about that take into consideration that I have traveled quite a bit of the world. When I travel to another country I take the time to pick up a tape and a small book to learn some simple things so I can function and try not to be a burden. I have travelled to Aruba quite a bit. Everyone there speaks multiple languages, usually atleast 3 fluently. I can speak quite a few sentences and such of it as I enjoy being there. When I was in Korea I could order food, get a cab and ask him to take me somewhere, negotiate pricing and buy things. Japan, different story I have to admit but I was only there 5 days. I can do a very little bit of Spanish as I attempt to pick it up when I can.

I was in Aruba a few years ago. We went to a chassis builders shop there, he was an American guy, had been living there on a work Visa for about 3-4 years. Had a very nice looking Columbian girlfriend. Guess what language his lazy *** spoke? English. I was embarrassed by him. Here's a guy living in Aruba, has a Spanish speaking girlfriend he met in Aruba and he is too lazy to learn to speak either language.

If you are going to live here or anywhere else you better be loyal to where you are and you sure as hell better learn to speak the language and teach your filthy Kmart shopping rugrats to do the same thing!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1

What's even worse is like the professional sports athletes, like A-Rod. He was born here, making american dollars, but in the WBC he couldn't deside weather to play for us, or the Dominican Republic. Hes just one of many "American" athletes making american money, and when it comes down to the olympics or world cup, they represent their own country, even though they live here, and spend most their time here, in the USA.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Dave, I couldn't agree more and that is a great quote.

As I stated in an earlier post, I moved here from Germany when I was a kid. Do I go around looking for German instructions or signs? Hell no! As the saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romas do."

l8r)
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Dave, I couldn't agree more and that is a great quote.

As I stated in an earlier post, I moved here from Germany when I was a kid. Do I go around looking for German instructions or signs? Hell no! As the saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romas do."

l8r)
60 percent of the time, that quote applies, everytime.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, when they start eating grasshoppers it becomes a little tough...

l8r)
Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

David, great post I agree with you on almost everything except the begining, maybe it's being in the military too long. Part of my job is learning the job above me and teaching to the people below me so that they can do my job when I'm gone. I think your guys would be better off learning all they can if they want to stay in this job for the rest of their lives. I really don't think boomtown meant it as an insult I think he just meant that you are not going to be doing this forever, someday you may want to retire and the younger guys will be the one's left to do the things you do. I think it just a matter of progression, plus the more they know the more productive they can be which would free you up to do other things that you want to do. It just seems like good buisness.

I'm also one of those guys that pushing the education thing. I'm not saying that all Americans are stupid or lazy, I'm just saying that other countries are advancing faster than us. If we want to be sucessful in the future we need to be smarter. I feel like I'm some what intelligent, I made Tsgt in the Air Force in 10 years the avg is 13-14. I'm working on a degree in aeronautical science. I've probally been to about 40 different countries around the world, and to all the places I've been almost everywhere they speak english. America is one of the few places in the world where you can speak one language and be consider highly educated, most places speak two or three. I will admit after living in Japan and Germany I don't know as much as I probally should but, when your around the bases almost everyone speaks english. I know a lot of guys that did not learn any of the local language because they just didn't have to. I mean to say that most Americans aren't going to do it unless they have to. Although I do agree with you if you are going to choose to live some where and not be told to live there you should atleast try to learn the language.

I also agree with it being good for China. The best thing that America can do is try to advance economies around the world. Not only is it profitable to us but ending poverty around the world would make us safer and make the rest of the world a better place for everyone. I'm not saying that losing jobs to them is good but, it part of progress we just have to adapt. I'm sorry to the people that did lose jobs and hope they do find new ones. This is part of the reason I think education is so important, so we can advance to new and better jobs.

And I do like the Quote that is exactly how I feel too. My heritage is Irish-German but, I always say I'm an American. Although I do love Ireland...ecspecially the beer.

Last edited by agolgan; Mar 4, 2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Whether we like to believe it or not, with the technological and communications advances of the past 10 years, we are living in a world economy. Those that adapt to this environment are going to be the ones that benefit the most from it. Yes, having something that's made in the USA is all well and good, but in my opinion, only if you can do so and compete with your market segment. The times they are a changin, (to quote Bob Dylan) and if you're not taking advantage of the cost of manufacturing product out east, you are going to eventually lose your customer base as they vote with their wallet.

I don't see anything wrong with doing R&D here and producing it there. There comes a certain point where you have to change the way you do things. I'm not saying that it is now and you have to embrace it or you're going out of business (you are clearly doing very well and have your finger on the pulse of this market), but the time will come when you hear of customers leaving for the cheaper route. Why not combine your innovation with reduced overhead? I only see a win-win here.

On the whole immigrant thing, I agree with you on the language thing. Living in NY and being in the building services business, I have no other choice but to speak Spanish. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to keep the business running, as my costs would be higher and the margins are razor thin sometimes. I agree with you, but things have gotten to the point where it's become "normal" to speak a little Spanish or to pay a little less for something that's made by someone's grand daughter in a factory.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:21 PM

Wow Dave! I thought I was the only one who felt the way you do; I too am a veteran, a combat veteran, of the Vietnam conflict. I was wounded on Jan. 1st, 1968, 1st Tet, and after being in the in 'nam for 11 months was shipped home to recuperate. My goal was to become a medical doctor, but because of my head injury no medical school in America would take me and I didn't want to be trained overseas so I went the physician assistant route and have a very fine 32 year career. I was born and raised in the USA, but my grandparents came here in 1938 when they saw war was going to break out in Europe. They didn't speak english when they arrived, but they both learned. My grandfather went to work in the mines of WVa. and when my mom married she and my father moved to California so I wouldn't have to work in the mines. My grandparents became more American every year, and whenever I see "choose English, spanish" my blood boils. This is America not Mexico, not China and English is the language of the land. If you come to America to become a citizen and not sponge off of Americans I salute you; if you insist on being called mexican-American or better Afro-American then you have missed the whole point of living in my country and feel free to leave anytime you want and take 10 of your fellows with you. Dave I have been driving my Evo since march of '03 and have purchased a few parts from you, but after today I am going to buy ALL of my parts from you because your life philosophy so well matches mine. Finally and thanks for the great post.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
boomtown,

To wish on me that my guys learn how to tune so they can all go an open their own shops is about the biggest slap in the face you could have given me, for that........your post stunk. Other than that it was interesting to read what you had to say. In conclusion what you are recommending to us is this, "Anyone employed by someone else should learn what the head of the company knows and then go start their own company. Then in order to supply any product they may need they should have it built in China." Great input on your part.

I also have a big problem with illegal aliens. I do not agree with trinydex on much of anything he has pointed out and for someone preaching about education you would think that in the multiple posts you made you could have used atleast 1 capital letter

I have a quote here I keep on my desk from Theodore Roosevelt, dated 1907. Here it is:

"In the fist place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equallity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an Amercan.....There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag....We have room for but one laguage here, and that is the English language....and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

I agree with this statement made 100 years ago completely.

Number one thing that pisses me off is going to the bank and using the ATM and the first freaking thing I have to do is pick if I want my menu in English or Spanish. Where the hell am I? Mexico? No, I am in the USA and I shouldn't have to make a choice like that. Same thing with automated phone systems, don't speak to me in Spanish or ask me to press "1" to hear my freaking choices in English. It is not a choice. If you come here learn to speak freaking English.

Before some knuckly head jumps my butt about that take into consideration that I have traveled quite a bit of the world. When I travel to another country I take the time to pick up a tape and a small book to learn some simple things so I can function and try not to be a burden. I have travelled to Aruba quite a bit. Everyone there speaks multiple languages, usually atleast 3 fluently. I can speak quite a few sentences and such of it as I enjoy being there. When I was in Korea I could order food, get a cab and ask him to take me somewhere, negotiate pricing and buy things. Japan, different story I have to admit but I was only there 5 days. I can do a very little bit of Spanish as I attempt to pick it up when I can.

I was in Aruba a few years ago. We went to a chassis builders shop there, he was an American guy, had been living there on a work Visa for about 3-4 years. Had a very nice looking Columbian girlfriend. Guess what language his lazy *** spoke? English. I was embarrassed by him. Here's a guy living in Aruba, has a Spanish speaking girlfriend he met in Aruba and he is too lazy to learn to speak either language.

If you are going to live here or anywhere else you better be loyal to where you are and you sure as hell better learn to speak the language and teach your filthy Kmart shopping rugrats to do the same thing!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I agree totally, u guys need to read this. I say if you go to live in a country learn their native language. Not bring yours and get mad when they dont understand you.
My biggest peeve is fast food, omfg i cant even understand what they are saying when i go to the drive thru, I always say what did you say. WHat, WHAT, I SAID I WANT A BURGER AND FRIES, "K, hotdog, with rice"
I lose my temper after a while though, but thats just me.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My apologies - I don't want your people taking food off your own table. The point I was trying to make is that we all need to learn to climb the value chain in our own ways.

Let me give a better example.

The father of my drinking buddy here in Shanghai was a book binder in the US. Good work but probably wont make you rich. He left his job in Houston to manage procurement for a small Texas company that does "performance tuning" on large cargo vessels and oil rigs in China. After five years of working out here the family should be able to return home comfortably well off.

Now I realise that moving all around the world isnt for everyone. But its an example of what someone can do without having to go back to college at age 45 which isnt necessarily an option for everyone either.

Last edited by boomtown; Mar 4, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

The Chinese government has the US by the *****. They own so much government paper our economy would be in shambles if they dumped it on the market. We certainly won't be able to afford to go to war with China because of this. Add to this the fact that others have mentioned that much of our society's standard of living is propped up by the imbalanced trade of cheap goods and you've got a very, very bad long term prospect for the US of A.

IMO much of this can be blamed on the massive drain the federal government places on our economy. It ****** out it's worthless treasury paper to China and sucks the life's blood out of it's citizens in the form of taxes, forcing many to buy cheap Chinese goods... all in pursuit of the "American Dream" to buy more crap.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by showard232
Wow Dave! I thought I was the only one who felt the way you do; I too am a veteran, a combat veteran, of the Vietnam conflict. I was wounded on Jan. 1st, 1968, 1st Tet, and after being in the in 'nam for 11 months was shipped home to recuperate. My goal was to become a medical doctor, but because of my head injury no medical school in America would take me and I didn't want to be trained overseas so I went the physician assistant route and have a very fine 32 year career. I was born and raised in the USA, but my grandparents came here in 1938 when they saw war was going to break out in Europe. They didn't speak english when they arrived, but they both learned. My grandfather went to work in the mines of WVa. and when my mom married she and my father moved to California so I wouldn't have to work in the mines. My grandparents became more American every year, and whenever I see "choose English, spanish" my blood boils. This is America not Mexico, not China and English is the language of the land. If you come to America to become a citizen and not sponge off of Americans I salute you; if you insist on being called mexican-American or better Afro-American then you have missed the whole point of living in my country and feel free to leave anytime you want and take 10 of your fellows with you. Dave I have been driving my Evo since march of '03 and have purchased a few parts from you, but after today I am going to buy ALL of my parts from you because your life philosophy so well matches mine. Finally and thanks for the great post.
AMEN!!!!!!
Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

edited.. Nice post Dave and agree with you.

Last edited by memo3; Mar 5, 2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

WOW, is all i can say. I thought i was the only one who saw this comming. And i can assure you, this is only the begining. My wife and I sold both of our hobby shops last year. Our major compettor was killing us. No matter where we sourced our products, customers woould get them cheaper. I had 7 employees and rent and electric and insurance and and and you get the picture. I would explain to people that we just couldnt sell out product that cheap due to those reasons. They didnt care. Their narrow view was the cheaper the better. I had met about a million people in my 10 years of owning the hobby stores. Since i sold it, the new owner is on the verge of folding. Everytime i go to the movies or out to eat, i always see someone who says they missed the old store. People i dont even remember. I then think to myself, yea, i know you do, we had a *****en and fun store fully stocked with goodies. Just wanted to rant and say thanks "EBAY" for us having to sell out. All of you who sell cheap crap out of your garage with no overhead, "**** Off". And for the customers who really missed the old store, go shop EBAY so the rest of the stores will go out of business. And then when you miss the hell out of your local hobby store, ill be back.......
Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
WOW, is all i can say. I thought i was the only one who saw this comming. And i can assure you, this is only the begining. My wife and I sold both of our hobby shops last year. Our major compettor was killing us. No matter where we sourced our products, customers woould get them cheaper. I had 7 employees and rent and electric and insurance and and and you get the picture. I would explain to people that we just couldnt sell out product that cheap due to those reasons. They didnt care. Their narrow view was the cheaper the better. I had met about a million people in my 10 years of owning the hobby stores. Since i sold it, the new owner is on the verge of folding. Everytime i go to the movies or out to eat, i always see someone who says they missed the old store. People i dont even remember. I then think to myself, yea, i know you do, we had a *****en and fun store fully stocked with goodies. Just wanted to rant and say thanks "EBAY" for us having to sell out. All of you who sell cheap crap out of your garage with no overhead, "**** Off". And for the customers who really missed the old store, go shop EBAY so the rest of the stores will go out of business. And then when you miss the hell out of your local hobby store, ill be back.......
This sums up the real problem IMO. Don't blame China or the U.S. government. It's the average American consumer who is forcing companies to outsource, in otherwords, we're to blame.

Quick Reply: Very long post of thoughts from David Buschur.......