Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Very long post of thoughts from David Buschur.......

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Mr. Buschur.

We had a similar conversation on the situation of outsourcing and what "I" as an engineer do to compete with the oversees company (mainly China.) I flat out stated that I would not do anything because then I would have to "cheapen" my product (service) just to compete with them. I see the whole ordeal a serious matter but the government does not care and I feel the same away about keeping the product here in the US, which is why Globalization kind of will hurt many but then again why not help struggling nations. It's win/lose situation that will definately affect us all.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

This is a great post....it makes it even better you wrote this as if you needed to get something off of your chest......which makes it much more real....thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for your stellar achievements in this industry and sport!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well put Dave,

Unfortunately you are seeing (and feeling) the practical application of world economics in this day and age.

Bummer huh?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Axe (especially the Axe, it makes my wife horneeee
Best part of the post.
In all seriousness, I didn't know you were so thoughtful. Your a good man dude.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

whoa! so they make a new nyquill? Does it taste any better? (that was the best i could think of that every1 hasnt already said!)
Old Mar 1, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Getting alot of heat for the 20G-9 huh.....I could see that coming a mile away.

Happy to hear you haven't sold out. But I have to tell you its hard for me to drop the ching on american made exhaust parts when the ebay stuff can be had for cheap. I'd love to buy only American made parts but sometimes its just too expensive (for me).

As for vehicles, I'm currently shopping for a new truck. Out of all of them I have driven I like the Titan the best. It just simply feels like the better truck. I think Ford and Chevy need to get with the program. Instead of marketing the same old detuned shxt year after year they need to step it up a notch. I would buy American if I knew it would perform comparatively and not fall apart after the warranty expired.

In all honestly a good majority of American workers are lazy. I've travelled around the world and almost every Americanized country has people working 2-3 times as hard as the average American. Those overseas prices also have alot to do with productivity.

Buschur.... I respect your company because it provides alot more to this community than just parts...... but if you didn't give back as much as you do -- and this was simply a "made in the USA" thread, I'm not sure how positive the response would be on here.

BTW before you rip me a new ****.....I'm a veteran and have been serving my country for 16 years.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, concise, from the heart(and well thought out considering the previous statement). Nice to see congruent thought turned to text instead of some contrived sob story . I agree with you on many of your points and have noticed similar trends in advertising. You have my respect as usual.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Great post Dave. You should take time to write columns for automotive magazines like Sport Compact Car. Very entertaining and great points...I'd love to see a semi-anual column from Buschur. SCC loves EVOs and I'd think they would do good to have you put in a column.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Getting alot of heat for the 20G-9 huh.....I could see that coming a mile away.

Happy to hear you haven't sold out. But I have to tell you its hard for me to drop the ching on american made exhaust parts when the ebay stuff can be had for cheap. I'd love to buy only American made parts but sometimes its just too expensive (for me).

As for vehicles, I'm currently shopping for a new truck. Out of all of them I have driven I like the Titan the best. It just simply feels like the better truck. I think Ford and Chevy need to get with the program. Instead of marketing the same old detuned shxt year after year they need to step it up a notch. I would buy American if I knew it would perform comparatively and not fall apart after the warranty expired.

In all honestly a good majority of American workers are lazy. I've travelled around the world and almost every Americanized country has people working 2-3 times as hard as the average American. Those overseas prices also have alot to do with productivity.

Buschur.... I respect your company because it provides alot more to this community than just parts...... but if you didn't give back as much as you do -- and this was simply a "made in the USA" thread, I'm not sure how positive the response would be on here.

BTW before you rip me a new ****.....I'm a veteran and have been serving my country for 16 years.

I personally do not like the way things are going in our society

In a short lifepsan the US has gone from the major super power in the world to a near third world economy

The China trade is not the only problem we have, we have internal issues also, over spending, deficites, etc etc

BUT, the main reason why I am against Chinese imports is becuase the China goods are made in a society which does not honor human rights, environmental laws, economic norms and fair play. Basically the government in China is very effectively promoting its business's competition at any cost. They will lokc disenters in jail and execute them. They polute the earth and depleate resources.

Personally, I think long and hard before I will buy anything made in China and I always take american goods over chinese.

The fact remains that building things in the USA paying decent wages that someone can live on and support their family means that USA goods are more costly.

Either US workers will have to work 7 days a week 16 hours a day for 1/2 the current wages or we will loose against China - guaranteed. There is no way that we can maintain our current standards and norms of existance if our goods must compete with the chinese goods.

One last observation - the China govt does NOT allow its currency to trade on open markets and limits devaulation to tiny percentages a day.

PS - I support the UK, Italy, Germany, Japan and all other members of a civilized and democratic world society which support human rights and liberty.

China is a very unfair and dishonest society and I will not support its trade and business.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I know all the good things unions did back in the day but the fact is today they protect worthless people.
This is a pretty ignorant statement.

Like anything, there are good unions and bad unions.

I don't hear anyone complain when they get on an airplane and benefit from the extra safety measures/rules that are in place because of pressure placed on the airline industry from the various unions serving pilots, stewardesses, etc.

Then there are the unions at universities around the country that fight to make sure schools *FAIRLY* offer tenure to those professors that deserve it. Besides a plethora of other things, this allows these professors to get more funding for research that go to things like finding cures or causes for diseases and whatnot. Again, things that benefit not only the members but society as a whole.

Yes, some unions take advantage of their power. I worked with some union workers who had it in their contract that they were allowed a 15 minute smoke break every hour. At quarter til every hour, every worker - even those that didn't smoke, stopped what they were doing and wondered off for a smoke break. What this effectively meant was that everyone only worked 30 mins tops for every hour they got paid as after the smoke break, it was then time for a bathroom break and then maybe a snack/drink break after that.

If you are going to pass judgement on unions, don't just cherry-pick the ones that tend to serve primarily non-educated workers though. The truth of the matter is, unions can and do have a good impact not just on their own members but on you and me and society in general.

If it weren't for unions, many of the things you take for granted on a daily basis wouldn't exist today.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Very good points. I can definitely appreciate the cost of development and production for companies like your own and I sincerely hope that such specialized production is able to continue.

Especially here in NY, there is such a lack of oppurtunity/appreciation for those that are truly gifted at what they do in the automotive field. It took me twenty phone calls to find a place that could tig weld....

Were fast becoming a largely white collar service economy here in America (with an evaporation of the middle class) with the impending fall of American automotive production acting as the final nail in the coffin.

Hopefully drawing China closer into the WTO (and hopefully limiting their consistent undervaluation of their currency) will bring us a long way in limiting the bleeding. Forgiving a huge trade imbalance to China while selling them our ever increasing amount of debt with interest on top isnt helping things long term though....

Thought provoking post ...

Last edited by fury656; Mar 1, 2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
BUT, the main reason why I am against Chinese imports is becuase the China goods are made in a society which does not honor human rights
Were it not for unions setup during the Industrial Revolution in america, I'm not really sure things would be all that different here.

, environmental laws, economic norms and fair play. Basically the government in China is very effectively promoting its business's competition at any cost. They will lokc disenters in jail and execute them. They polute the earth and depleate resources.
Doesn't sound all that different from present-day America though, now does it.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Good post Dave
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

The main reason I bought my (expensive) exhaust where I did is because the site said "Made in the USA." It mattered to me. Here in NC, we lose Textile mills, not just a hand full of jobs, whole "mills" to Mexico (NAFTA) and China.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I personally do not like the way things are going in our society

In a short lifepsan the US has gone from the major super power in the world to a near third world economy

The China trade is not the only problem we have, we have internal issues also, over spending, deficites, etc etc

BUT, the main reason why I am against Chinese imports is becuase the China goods are made in a society which does not honor human rights, environmental laws, economic norms and fair play. Basically the government in China is very effectively promoting its business's competition at any cost. They will lokc disenters in jail and execute them. They polute the earth and depleate resources.

Personally, I think long and hard before I will buy anything made in China and I always take american goods over chinese.

The fact remains that building things in the USA paying decent wages that someone can live on and support their family means that USA goods are more costly.

Either US workers will have to work 7 days a week 16 hours a day for 1/2 the current wages or we will loose against China - guaranteed. There is no way that we can maintain our current standards and norms of existance if our goods must compete with the chinese goods.

One last observation - the China govt does NOT allow its currency to trade on open markets and limits devaulation to tiny percentages a day.

PS - I support the UK, Italy, Germany, Japan and all other members of a civilized and democratic world society which support human rights and liberty.

China is a very unfair and dishonest society and I will not support its trade and business.
No offense but that's pretty ignorant. The U.S. is still an economic superpower. Just look at the numbers. Yes we're running a deficit just like we did in the Reagan years but, as in business, it's an up and down cycle. Our economy not only survived but has even grown after horrible events such as 9/11 and Katrina, that's amazing. Take a look at the average productivity level of the American worker, it's the envy of the civilized world. Compare our unempolment rate with that of any other nation, please find one that has a lower rate than the U.S.

There are several factors to blame for the outsourcing of jobs and I blame the average U.S. consumer and worker. As a worker we want increase in pay and benefits yet as a consumer we want commodity prices to decrease. What effect do you think this has?

I'm in the manufacturing business and many of our products are built in China in a factory that we own. The quality and productivity out of China has improved greatly over the past decade. The working conditions have also improved dramtically as has the average pay. Is outsourcing having a negative impact on China? No, just the oppositet is true, the average annual income per capita in China is growing at a tremendous rate. The Chinese are becoming wealthier, better educated, etc. The end result of this will be improved living conditions and a change of politics in China IMO. Wealth, education, and high employment are the best spring broad for Democracy. Just look at the Hong Kong model for guidance.

What does this mean for the average American? Continue to be innovative, focus on bettering yourself though education and a work ethic. Don't become a victim looking for a governement hand out. Have some pride, we have the greatest minds and work force in the world. Outsourcing is a fact of life and will force us to innovate and educate. As a matter of fact, the Chinese are starting to outsource to Vietnam and the cycle will continue.

I give credit to Buschur for doing what he thinks is right.

Quick Reply: Very long post of thoughts from David Buschur.......