Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Very long post of thoughts from David Buschur.......

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3240
I agree but it's not only the shareholders that we need to please its the US consumer. My company is private (no shareholders to please) but we still manufacture in China because the US consumer is not willing to pay a premium for US goods even though that premium supports US manufacturing jobs. Who's really to blame?
Definitely, I should have mentioned that regarding private companies. I was just using the corporate look since that makes me the most angry. Also, it just goes back to the "cutting costs" principle.

Exxon pays this guy at my local Exxon who works 80 hours a week $6/hr. ExxonMobile makes $98,000,000 a day PROFIT. I wish theyd give the guy at least $10 Ahh makes me mad but hey whata ya gonna do.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Regarding the automotive industry and all the jobs being lost. I think Ford the GM need to take a step back and stop producing such junk. Half the time I see a new car from them I think to myself "who approved this and who is going to buy this"?

There is no competition from the US for the Accord, Camry, Altima, Maxima, Civic. Al TOP SELLING vehicles! Why cant Ford or GM put some god damn effort into making a QUALITY/STYLISH sedan that people are looking for. Who wants a Ford Ranger or Pontiac Aztec.
US auto manufacturers cannot sink money into R&D for new cars like Toyota and Honda because of all the money they are paying for pention and healthcare. The big 3 banked everything on the philosophy that Americans would buy American cars just because they are made by Ford, GM or Dodge. In realilty, they have fallen behind greatly, and Toyota is set to be the leading car sold in America the next couple of years. It was just poor vision on American Auto manufactures part years ago that led to this.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Girlie
US auto manufacturers cannot sink money into R&D for new cars like Toyota and Honda because of all the money they are paying for pention and healthcare. The big 3 banked everything on the philosophy that Americans would buy American cars just because they are made by Ford, GM or Dodge. In realilty, they have fallen behind greatly, and Toyota is set to be the leading car sold in America the next couple of years. It was just poor vision on American Auto manufactures part years ago that led to this.
Yeah I know about the healthcare costs. They are out of control. I was reading somewhere that the Japanese automakers make 50% more on their cars in profit against the American automakers just because of healthcare costs alone. Thats just absurd. Chrysler doesnt seem to be doing too bad though (you mentioned big three). They at least are coming out with cool cars like the SRT models, the 300C, etc. They are making cars that look cool and have cool features (like power!).

Your saying they cant sink money into R&D but I dont know... it looks like its going to have to be that or the highway. Your right, that was a **** poor philosophy for the American automakers to make. Too much has changed in the last 50+ years to assume that we will just buy American because its American. The sad truth is the American consumer has stopped buying the crappy American cars and now GM and Ford must change something. We cant just buy their junk cars or else they'll just keep spitting out more junk and expect us to buy it. Hopefully these terrible past years by both of them will get them on the right track. No one in my family owns an American car. My 3 sisters, their 2 husbands, my 2 brothers, me, my mom, etc. EXCEPT my grandmother... FORD... and my grandfather (deceist) FORD. They ONLY BOUGHT FORDS, period! Times have changed. Time for GM and Ford to get with it! I want to see them do well.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Wow Dave, I used to have a certain respect for you for being a very knowledgeable vendor who made quality, proven parts. I now have a new respect for you as an individual and a caring, patriotic human being!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Yeah I know about the healthcare costs. They are out of control. I was reading somewhere that the Japanese automakers make 50% more on their cars in profit against the American automakers just because of healthcare costs alone. Thats just absurd. Chrysler doesnt seem to be doing too bad though (you mentioned big three). They at least are coming out with cool cars like the SRT models, the 300C, etc. They are making cars that look cool and have cool features (like power!).

Your saying they cant sink money into R&D but I dont know... it looks like its going to have to be that or the highway. Your right, that was a **** poor philosophy for the American automakers to make. Too much has changed in the last 50+ years to assume that we will just buy American because its American. The sad truth is the American consumer has stopped buying the crappy American cars and now GM and Ford must change something. We cant just buy their junk cars or else they'll just keep spitting out more junk and expect us to buy it. Hopefully these terrible past years by both of them will get them on the right track. No one in my family owns an American car. My 3 sisters, their 2 husbands, my 2 brothers, me, my mom, etc. EXCEPT my grandmother... FORD... and my grandfather (deceist) FORD. They ONLY BOUGHT FORDS, period! Times have changed. Time for GM and Ford to get with it! I want to see them do well.
Dodge is not in as bad shape as Ford/GM, but only because of Daimler. That has helped them tremendously, plus they did break the mold a few years back with cars like the srt, charger etc that can compete.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the responses and great conversation here. Didn't even think anyone would take the time to read it.

First, only one thing directed at me got me. The original 20G did work and still works, it made power it just surged which made it not silky smooth to drive in all situations. My old Crest also worked but it didn't leave my teeth as silky smooth as the new Crest is suppose to

A few other comments. There are "trucks" and then there are "TRUCKS". I agree, that the Titan is simply one very nice "truck". I too have riden in one and raced one with my wife's Ford F150, 5.4 Titon, got our butt kicked by it too. When it came time to buy though I bought a Ford. The truck is nice, very quiet, good power, good ride, good sound system etc., etc., I wasn't really shopping for a TRUCK for my wife. I wanted a safe dependable ride with 2 bench seats so we could center seat both of our kids. Now, if you want a TRUCK on GM, Ford or Chrysler make a TRUCK. When I need to tow my race cars around I shopped for a real TRUCK and bought a Duramax. It's kind of ironic to type that now that I think about it as GM uses an Isuzu engine in it (defeats the point I was making!haha). Anyway, forget it has an Isuzu engine in it..........Someone that wants a truck that tow huge loads, be stable towing these loads and will last for 100,000+ miles has only the big 3 for options as far as I am concerned. No import auto makers are making dooleys or powerful diesels for towing. Probably a good thing for GM, Ford and Chrysler that is the case.

My father is a die hard GM man. The guy has had unbelievalbe luck. He drives GMC's blazer S10 (can't remember what it's actually called) he's got about 160,000 trouble free miles on it. He also has a GMC 1500 4wd his wife drove until recently, it has about 130,000 miles on it, never a problem from it. They just bought that new Malibu Max Wagon, loves it.

I have never had anything but good luck out of any car I've owned when bought new or relatively new. Quality on all of it was good.

Al and I were discussing this post earlier on IM. I told him that if GM built the Evolution I'd buy it from them. Instead they give us a Cobalt. Yuk.

When I bought my first Eagle Talon back in 1989 the Japanese car deal wasn't even an issue that I remember. Atleast it wasn't impacting US jobs as it does today. I bought it becuase it looked cool and was faster than the 1985 SS Monte Carlo I traded in on it, you know the one with the H.O 305 cu in engine I didn't care who built the engine, I assumed it was Eagle. Soon after I got harrassed about it being a Jap powered car. I was usually being harrassed by the American V8 owner who just got his *** kicked by it though. As time went on I learned it was built in Normal, Ill. I also learned it was considered an Import BUT was just short of the 70% US content that would have considered it a domestic. Well honestly 60+% US content and being built in the USA was good enough for me, not to mention I loved the car. In 1995 the US content went up to over 70% and the cars were no longer considered Imports, not even the Eclipse.

We have to step back and look at the other side of this too. I am not up on much of as I don't pay attention but I do know Honda and Toyota both have plants in Ohio. Mitsubishi has a the plant in Normal, ILL. Supporting these companies keeps us working here too which gives us money to support our families and buy Buschur Racing parts

It's a very large picture and nobody can go into it with a closed mind. I am more patriotic than most I'd say. Maybe the military did it to me or my relatives I don't know. Even with the flag waiving I do I realize there is more to it than BUY USA BUY USA. Just because it has been built else where doesn't mean it was all bad, a HUGE amount of people in the USA are making their livings directly and indirectly from Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi.

I believe the 4G63 is one of the greatest engines every developed, period. I don't care who built it, it's in my blood now and I won't stop working with them, hell I can't to be honest..........but don't want to either.

I've considered buying a new Mustang as I really like the looks of it. I'd have to buy my parts from someone else though and if I wanted to sell parts that I built I know it would be next to impossible, that cars out. I am also thinking of the new Challenger and Camaro as they are both tough as hell, same story though. This leaves me with Mitsubishi as people come to me for those, that keeps my guys in jobs and my family fed.

As for the cheap Chinese built exhausts. Someone said they aren't spending anymore on an exhaust as the quality of the Chinese stuff is too good. I was going to buy one of these exhaust and do a test on it, compare weights, material, fitment and dyno it. The more I thought about it I knew that the quality was good, I've seen pictures. I also know that our exhaust is much lighter and lighter parts definetely equal faster cars. I have even been told by some of the companies selling these exhausts that they are sure our exhaust will make additional power. I figured in the end I would have bought the exhaust, did my testing, came up with the results I just said and get praised for doing by guys that bought our exhaust or were going to anyway and get bashed by those that didn't buy it or never would have. What would be the real point? People looking for a $500 exhaust aren't going to buy ours anyway. People who are looking for the lightest and most power producing system aren't looking for a $500 exhaust either. Two different markets and I don't think either buyer is going to be pursuaded by my testing. The guys selling these exhausts are doing so because of pricing and I can in no way compete with those prices. I was even "warned" that if I did the testing and was too negative towards these exhausts that they would build a system lighter than mine with a "race" muffler for even less and completely try and take away the market. My point in wanting to test it wasn't to bash them as I can see it is a quality looking piece and it is made of stainless. My point was to try and show the better side of what our system has compared to theirs. Rather than ripple the waters and end up with a "you rock" no "you suck" topic I'll just continue on with what we are doing and keep improving when I can.

I can tell you it is much easier to have someone develop a product that works let the bugs get worked out of it, wait to see if it is going to sell and then copy it and sell it yourself. This is the easy way out and the way of most people. I'll take my praise when I get it and take my blows when I get that too. When I can afford to make it right I will or atleast offer a solution for whatever the problem is as cheap as I can. Crest didn't give me a discount on their new toothpaste BTW, the new Axe didn't get me any action tonight either. I even held my arm up and let the fan carry the new scent to the other side of the bed haha

It's 4:22 am. WTF am I doing up?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Great post!!!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

wow, i've read ALOT of threads on EvoM...hell i spend most of my days off here just reading and learning. but i would have to say this is the best thread yet! its good to see us using our minds ,debating and acting like humans! bravo and bravo to Mr. Buschur for having Ethics and Integrity! its a trait that you see less and less everyday.

Last edited by Evo_SpeedKing; Mar 2, 2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post David! I think I will put that in my signature!! If it would fit. I think there is something in the "air", The economy is in trouble, car companies are in trouble, the parts are ALL going overseas, and being made by some 10 year olds! THe good old days I am affraid are gone, the Company Loyalty thing is out the window, as is Job SECURITY! It seems like we are on "the run". 30 years ago, someone would buy a home and stay there their whole life, nowadays, people and families seem to uproot and move, after building a house a year earlier. People to me seem to be moving thru life in a daze, Kids have so many afterschool events, run here and there, no time to JUST LIVE!!!

I do agree with you on the stuff going overseas to save the LARGE companies money, and give the profits to the STOCK HOLDERS to pad their pockets, but to what expense? Its like the Walmart effect on the Mom and Pop shops, everyone complains about them (walmart), but they still shop there, to save some money! More people have to work 2 jobs, just to pay for their Health insurance, which coverage-wise BLOWS! I am old fashioned, and I rarely look at ebay, I am not always looking for the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!, and want to keep my money in the USA, and pay the "shop" for their sweat and R&D, not pay for the "sweat" off a 11 year old worker.

I think if we DONT stop sending all our goods/jobs overseas, we are in DEEP STUFF!!! All the parts we have coming in, will be checked at our ports by Arabs, made by the Chineese, and bought by US, WHO HAS WHOM by the throat here? This is my longest post on here, is there a prize? am I a Moderator now? or is that job going to be "outsourced" also?

Need more coffee!! Your lucky, don't have to read anymore!!

Go Get 'em DAVID, we stand behind you 110%, and I, like I hope everyone else on here will buy your parts, and support you, for ALL you have given back to us over the YEARS!!!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thanks for the responses and great conversation here. Didn't even think anyone would take the time to read it.

A few other comments. There are "trucks" and then there are "TRUCKS". I agree, that the Titan is simply one very nice "truck". I too have riden in one and raced one with my wife's Ford F150, 5.4 Titon, got our butt kicked by it too. When it came time to buy though I bought a Ford. The truck is nice, very quiet, good power, good ride, good sound system etc., etc., I wasn't really shopping for a TRUCK for my wife. I wanted a safe dependable ride with 2 bench seats so we could center seat both of our kids. Now, if you want a TRUCK on GM, Ford or Chrysler make a TRUCK.

It's a very large picture and nobody can go into it with a closed mind. I am more patriotic than most I'd say. Maybe the military did it to me or my relatives I don't know. Even with the flag waiving I do I realize there is more to it than BUY USA BUY USA. Just because it has been built else where doesn't mean it was all bad, a HUGE amount of people in the USA are making their livings directly and indirectly from Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi.

It's 4:22 am. WTF am I doing up?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Couple more things....

1. Wait until the new Tundra comes out.....Ford, GM, and Chrysler will be that much further in trouble. Its a TRUCK!

2. Again I love America...I feel that people who serve in the military usually have a higher regard for this country....I certainly do.

3. I make my living directly from Toyota. It's their popularity and quality that keep the shop I work for busy enough to fill my wallet weekly. In fact it makes me what I consider a very respectable living and I believe are the nicest cars to work on at the dealership level.

4. I got my interest in cars from my dad's side of the family...My Uncle is a former NHRA drag racer (*champion* in fact...1975 super stock world champion...google Bernie Agaman....). My uncle's were his pit crew. American muscle and drag racing....Somehow I ended up driving German and Jap cars around parking lots with cones...Who'd have known?

5. Who needs sleep?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

one thing that i have learned in the 22 years on earth, is that life is nothing unless u are happy. all the money in the world can buy happiness if u ask me. having friends and family there for u is one of the greatest feeling in the world.

david is no sell out and i respect that. he is sharing his sucess with other friends an family and he is happy doing it. thats what life is all about, being happy.

as for the coment about your deodorant making ur wife horneeeeee, i got to get me some of that! as long as u are building quality products, u will have us followers buying them.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

good post. I think on the same lines as you do, I am a blue collar worker and bust my *** and do excellent quality work, and see all the lazy knobjobs that are getting paid more- do almost nothing and kcuf up $$$$$$ worth of product. It gets irritating, I am learning to let stuff go in one ear and out the other and keep my big mouth shut (i tend to get fired alot because of it ).

-Andrew
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
When I bought my first Eagle Talon back in 1989 the Japanese car deal wasn't even an issue that I remember. Atleast it wasn't impacting US jobs as it does today. I bought it becuase it looked cool and was faster than the 1985 SS Monte Carlo I traded in on it, you know the one with the H.O 305 cu in engine I didn't care who built the engine, I assumed it was Eagle. Soon after I got harrassed about it being a Jap powered car.
Engines like the 305 are what have put American manufacturers down. Crippled smog V8s that were simply not up to the times. Recently though I think GM has modernized and is continuing to do a lot of great things. I love the new Cadillac line of cars, the recent all aluminum LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7 lines. GM's truck division is also top notch quality wise.

I think a major step forward for GM was recently moving away from producing cars with fleet sales wholly in mind. Although its a highly profitable sector volutme wise it necessarily lowered quality and brand perception. The new Pontiacs and Chevy's are all major improvements over their predecessors. The acquisition of controlling interests in Saab/Subaru have also helped.

Also, I think its time for GM to stop competing within itself. Buick is no longer a viable brand in America, especially not long term. Chevy/Pontiac have always stepped on each others toes only now differentiating from each other slightly.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
My dad and I were talking today at the shop. I told him to sign on here and read this, he thinks I just spend my days at my computer screwing around. I kind of doubt he has ever read anything I wrote unless I printed it and handed it to him. Anyway (and boo hoo-haha), he told me today that $2500 of each and every car that GM, Ford and Chrysler sells goes towards workers health insurance and retirement. In comparison, Toyota is less than $50 per car!! WTF, one thing that pisses me off is our lack of health care in what is suppose to be the wealthiest country in the world. It is insane. He said that Toyota has retiement accounts set up but the employees must contribute or they get nothing. Now there's an idea!

As of January 1st of this year I started retirement accounts for all the guys at the shop. If they contribute I match it up to 3%, it is a way to instantly double their money. I told everyone of them if they didn't do it they were stupid. No other way to gaurantee a double you money investment that I know of. I try to give back to these guys for busting their butts for me, and they do. The big three should take some lessons from me maybe. The world is changing and I think workers have to realize this and think ahead on their own.

I know my father-in-law and one of my guys dad's just lost their retirement, they both had 28 years in! That's bull crap. The worste part is they expected it and did nothing else to prepare for not having it. An entire lifetime of hard work, lost. One is in the steel industry which is being sold out overseas the others plant is closing and moving to Mexico.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsevo
Is this an indirect warning that the days of outsourcing may be coming for Buschur Racing?
He's just trying to justify to everyone the price on his parts, high quality parts that is.

Quick Reply: Very long post of thoughts from David Buschur.......