Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Worth upgrading the IX turbo to a 20g?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worth upgrading the IX turbo to a 20g?

has anybody with a IX upgraded their turbo to a 20g IX seems liek a easy cheap mod that could have good results without having to change the entire set up..

thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its not as easy as you think lol
Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

i thought its just a rebuild or something? then it bolts back in...bushur does it for 700 or 750 idk
Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm... it involves dropping your turbo... which is why it's not so easy. to do it right... you gotta work from top and bottom of the car... drop your radiator and have spare turbo studs on hand. if you're willing to do this then you should be doing a lotta other stuff at the same time. so don't do that first.

but if you ran outta stuff to do... then i recommend, port, gasket match and polish exhuast mani 10.5 hot side, throw the 20g-5 blade in and pick up either a works or ebay o2 housing. coating is up to you...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think its worth it. Especially if you haven't done all the BPU mods and then some. In fact, I really don't think its ever worth it unless you are cheating and trying to go for some sort of record on a stock turbo wether it be drag or auto-X. Otherwise, by the time you've done all those basic and intermediate mods, you are going to want to step up to something much bigger to get some sort of appreciable gain, and that means GT series, T3/T4 etc.

If you had an '03/'04 - maybe.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

i know i have a lot more today...i was speaking to a guy with a 99 eclipse gsx and he put a 20g in and said it made a hell of a difference...i know we have more power than them stock but i figured it was just rebuilding the turbo...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

20G is worthless in my opinion. It isn't that much better performance wise than the stock turbo (or the EVO III 16G, my favorite DSM turbo). If your going to get a new turbo, get something BIG, preferably something with ball bearings in it.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
i know i have a lot more today...i was speaking to a guy with a 99 eclipse gsx and he put a 20g in and said it made a hell of a difference...i know we have more power than them stock but i figured it was just rebuilding the turbo...
A stock 2G comes with a t-25. So going with a 20 G on a 2G DSM is a hell of a difference. But not unless you spend a lot of money on other things to bring the car up to par. The stock DSM fuel system and computer is nowhere near as good as the Evo's.

When these types of turbos first came out, WR, 20G, etc. I laughed because they were all like $1500 or so, but people bought them and lots of big name vendors who are way more knowledgable then mewere backing them so I couldn't say anything.

In the the DSM world you can get an EvoIII turbo for about $540. There are all kinds of sleeper 16g's, bastard 20G's, etc that try to cram as much as they can into the Td05H housing as they can, but cost at least twice as much as a EvoIII. are they worth it? I don't think so. (A Td06h-20g is a different story) Same goes with the upgraded Evo-based turbos. IF you really have to have a stock appearing turbo, it may be the way to go, but I don't think it really adds in appreciable performance other then shifting the power band around. (and possibly adding surge)

IF you want to buy the best td05h turbo on the market, wait until next year when Mitsubishi Heavy Industries produces it (for the Evo X) if they remain with that style. Otherwise, get something bigger. Go full Garrett.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 3, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
A stock 2G comes with a t-25. So going with a 20 G on a 2G DSM is a hell of a difference. But not unless you spend a lot of money on other things to bring the car up to par. The stock DSM fuel system and computer is nowhere near as good as the Evo's.

When these types of turbos first came out, WR, 20G, etc. I laughed because they were all like $1500 or so, but people bought them and lots of big name vendors who are way more knowledgable then mewere backing them so I couldn't say anything.

In the the DSM world you can get an EvoIII turbo for about $540. There are all kinds of sleeper 16g's, bastard 20G's, etc that try to cram as much as they can into the Td05H housing as they can, but cost at least twice as much as a EvoIII. are they worth it? I don't think so. (A Td06h-20g is a different story) Same goes with the upgraded Evo-based turbos. IF you really have to have a stock appearing turbo, it may be the way to go, but I don't think it really adds in appreciable performance other then shifting the power band around. (and possibly adding surge)

IF you want to buy the best td05h turbo on the market, wait until next year when Mitsubishi Heavy Industries produces it (for the Evo X) if they remain with that style. Otherwise, get something bigger. Go full Garrett.
Can u please tell me why ur so against the IX-20g turbo?! I mean sounds like the turbo raped ur mom or something?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Why are you so for it? You make it sound like the turbo gives 15hp AND head.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

it does it also smooths out ur power line....
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zgodfathera
Can u please tell me why ur so against the IX-20g turbo?! I mean sounds like the turbo raped ur mom or something?
Its because financially, the 20G upgrade option is foolish. For the money it will yield very little performance gains.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

well yeah if ur stright upgradin from a stock 04, 05 turbo....
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zgodfathera

Because for the promised performance gains, all the modified turbos were a little hyped. I like my WR, but I don't plan on dumping gallons of C16 into my car just to get 400 whp. I mean, I'd have to drive 30 miles just to get C16. I like my WR, but was it worth $1500? For what it does, yes. Is it the best bang for the buck? No.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why do evo owners always talk about bang for hte buck? i don't see anyone in racing that complains about bang for buck.

Quick Reply: Worth upgrading the IX turbo to a 20g?