Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR Tranny's! Any Grinding Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR Tranny's! Any Grinding Issues?

The Evo 5 speed has been plagued with Synchro issues since its inception. So I am wondering if the MR six-speed is suffering from the same tranny issue. From what I have seen in prior threads most of the grinding complaints are from the 5 speed tranny.If the MR is not plagued by this issue I will likely get an MR over a GSR. But if not that 4000-6000 dollars savings GSR/RS are hard to overlook w/o a great reason. This qualifies iMO.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my mr tranny now shifts better than when it was brand new due to being broken in. 30k here.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Bump

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=MR+grind

I came across this thread while searching the same subject. You know, its wierd situations like these that get me paranoid about buying another evo, especially since I already got my tranny/tcase fixed.

MR owners speak up.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think that most EVOs (5sp or 6sp), are notchy and most of the time it goes away after 10K miles and maybe some synchromesh
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My MR tranny has been fine, it shifts as smooth as the first day. But when the weather is VERY cold, my 1-2 synchro will grind if I try to shift too fast but this goes away after the tranny fluid warms up (which take a while) and then it starts shifting smoothly (as stated in the manual). I just have to remember to shift very smoothly and slowly until the fluid warms up. On warmed weathers its rediculously smooth
Hope that helps.
Nice to see you have been un-banned
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

My trans is great, i love how much smoother it is than my '03. I have a hand full of mods including a 20g and 272's. Shifting is as smooth as when i first bought it
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Im at 34k miles on my MR and I have not seen/feel/hear any problems coming from the tranny... I havent even changed my fluids either which im finally going to in a week
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Its not exactly a grind. Its just notchy. And only during grandma/normal driving shifts. When I shift fast at high RPM its butter baby.

I think its the double synchros trying to line up at low speeds. No damage will result, and Ive read changing the fluid does wonders. BG Synchromesh did amazing things with eclipse trannies, and those have got to be one of the notchiest transmissions Ive ever felt. Ive only got <4500 miles on mine, but Ill be changing my fluid to BG Syncromesh II (synthetic). This would also help with the cold fluid complaints.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IE Evo
The Evo 5 speed has been plagued with Synchro issues since its inception. So I am wondering if the MR six-speed is suffering from the same tranny issue. From what I have seen in prior threads most of the grinding complaints are from the 5 speed tranny.If the MR is not plagued by this issue I will likely get an MR over a GSR. But if not that 4000-6000 dollars savings GSR/RS are hard to overlook w/o a great reason. This qualifies iMO.

They new GSRs have zero issues with trannies. They have all the updated Syncros. Plus it shifts rock solid.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The MR has teflon-lined cables, so I think it's even smoother than the 5 speed. I have a slight notchiness in the morning going 1-2, but it disappears after about 3 minutes. I have 25,000 miles on my MR and I like it much better than the 5 speed. I drove my dad's STi last weekend, and the MR shifter is light years beyond his. Personally, I think the MR is worth it. I'd say the Ape should get an MR
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

My MR is notchy-precise, in a good way. Never have ground a gear yet.

The synchros really are oustanding in the 2006s
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
The MR has teflon-lined cables, so I think it's even smoother than the 5 speed. I have a slight notchiness in the morning going 1-2, but it disappears after about 3 minutes. I have 25,000 miles on my MR and I like it much better than the 5 speed. I drove my dad's STi last weekend, and the MR shifter is light years beyond his. Personally, I think the MR is worth it. I'd say the Ape should get an MR
The "Ape" thanx u all for your responses. Notchiness is alright but synchro grinding is not. Azar I appreciate your input also, however, I have read several complaints about grinding issues on the IX GSR/RS etc. Based off of this information I am more inclined to purchase the more expensive MR version.
Pretty ironic and fate I guess. Always been called an MR and now I will be driving one.LOL
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its no honda shifter, but i'm definately impressed wth the 6 speed. I've grinded it a couple downshifting to first before its warmed up, but normally the shifts are pretty solid. 1200miles so far. Sometimes it seems to lock me out of 6th? but it hasnt been doing that lately.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
All 05+ cars have the teflon lined cables, MR or GSR...
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, you learn somthin new everyday. Did I mention I took my transfer case apart and found an open differential inside?

Quick Reply: MR Tranny's! Any Grinding Issues?