Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bigger Intercooler opinions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger Intercooler opinions

hey guys i was wonderin is a bigger Front Mount Intercooler is a good upgrade on a stock turbo??..i have all the mods from cams to a turboback..i plan on gettin a tme turbo u guys go wit a bigger front mount..if i get 1 i wanna go wit the turbo xs front mount..what you guys think?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

I would read through some threads Buschur has done a lot of tests. I would personally go with a Buschur one, You also have the nisei which a lot of people favor.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

It will look cool.

You won't get much benefit unless you are under severe heat conditions.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:15 AM

any other info?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Again...

The gain with the intercooler depends on many factors. I live in Puerto Rico and its very hot and high humidity, I saw a gain of 27whp with just the AMS intercooler. The locals here always see good gains with most intercoolers, a friend of mine bought one of the Ebay ones and saw a 21whp gain. I think thats impressive with a cheap intercooler. But of course we all had a good amount of mods and we were at 310-320whp already with 93 octane gas. But all of us had stock turbo, I have 264/264 cams and the guy with the Ebay intercooler had 264i/272e.

Definitely yes, its a good upgrade with stock turbo, maybe you wont have a big gain like me, depends of were you live, but there will be a gain, Im sure. Plus it looks good too. Go for it!

Last edited by The_Predat0r; Mar 5, 2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Predat0r
Again...

The gain with the intercooler depends on many factors. I live in Puerto Rico and its very hot and high humidity, I saw a gain of 27whp with just the AMS intercooler. The locals here always see good gains with most intercoolers, a friend of mine bought one of the Ebay ones and saw a 21whp gain. I think thats impressive with a cheap intercooler. But of course we all had a good amount of mods and we were at 310-320whp already with 93 octane gas. But all of us had stock turbo, I have 264/264 cams and the guy with the Ebay intercooler had 264i/272e.

Definitely yes, its a good upgrade with stock turbo, maybe you wont have a big gain like me, depends of were you live, but there will be a gain, Im sure. Plus it looks good too. Go for it!

Are your numbers on a Mustang dyno or a dynojet?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:58 AM

If you plan on doing any additional mods to your car I'm sure that ultimately you will end up changing the intercooler..just do your research and figure out what brand is best for your needs.
Personally I ordered the ARC intercooler and should be receiving it shortly.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Buschur Race FMIC on order

http://www.buschurracing.com/new-products.htm
Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Are your numbers on a Mustang dyno or a dynojet?
Dynojet. That was last year, Dynoflash came to tune and my best numbers were 339whp, 2 months later he came back and I bought the intercooler and installed it, I noticed the car lost power, didnt change anything else. When Al did the first run on the dyno the output was 270whp and the AFR was very rich, Al told me it was because of the intercooler. After he tuned the car he was able to achieve 339.3whp. In our weather the intercooler is a great upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

I gained some good power with my intercooler. I went with the AMS FMIC. By the way, im on the stock turbo still. If youre planning on modding your car more you might as well get one.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, by upgrading your stock IC to a larger more efficient unit you will be raising yor engine´s detonation threshold which should allow you to run 2-3 psi more on the same octane number and under similar atmospheric conditions, increasing your HP even using the stock turbo.

Buschur has shown about a 15 whp increase with just the FMIC upgrade with his Deluxe unit. Also upgrade the stock FP to the Walbro number. IMO, it´s a tossup between the BR Race FMIC and the Nissei. Do the LICP at the same time.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

UPGRADE!!

I installed an XS Engineering FMIC 2 weeks ago...not sure what my whp or torque gains where, but the car pulled AMAZINGLY STRONGER, I couldn't believe the mid to top-end response I got. It also felt like the tyres wanted to spin when I punched it. I was making 306 whp before the intercooler upgrade!

My climate is also very hot, so the FMIC was a great benefit..it felt like an easy 15 - 20 whp.

My supporting mods: HKS 264ex/272i, Megan Manifold, 3" downpipe with full cat-back exhaust & air-filter...running 19psi falling to like 17psi. I also noticed that my boost didn't fall off as hard like before...I was able to sustain the 19 psi..and it only fell like to 18 psi at redline.

UPGRADE...but I think you must really have the proper supporting mod's to really benefit for this upgrade...GO FOR IT!!!
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

BTW...I hear Nisei is coming out with a revised FMIC end of March from a friend who called to order one!

Buschur & Peakboost intercoolers look great as well!!!
Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:24 PM

well rite now im waitin to put my tme turbo in..i was jus thinkin of doing a turbo xs i/c
Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur, AMS, and Neisi should be your options. Looks is NOT the way to shop for a FMIC. Do a search and read up. Lots of intercoolers are a waste of money, and quite a few even decrease your power.

I remember a poll done on FMIC: 1) Buschur 2) AMS 3) Neisi

Quick Reply: Bigger Intercooler opinions