Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GT35R Installed!!! OMG... So Much Fun!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by denolloyd
Basically, it was tuned for 93 then we added meth and turned up the boost.
Which means with the meth added, it is almost certainly running very, very rich.

Originally Posted by LIFER
I agree, 471whp @32psi seems like a very low number... Maybe a mustang dyno?
A Mustang dyno reads lower than a Dynojet. How much lower depends on its settings. We cannot determine exactly where he is by comparison unless we know roughly what a stock EVO 8 typically generates on that particular dyno.

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
The 280s added 500rpm lag.
This is where cam gears really become worthwhile. Tighten the LSA slightly and advance the intake cam about 2 degrees, and they spool as quickly as stock.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
A Mustang dyno reads lower than a Dynojet. How much lower depends on its settings. We cannot determine exactly where he is by comparison unless we know roughly what a stock EVO 8 typically generates on that particular dyno.
Latest back to back dyno candidate was a car from an evom vendor. With CFT's new computer, software and calibration whereas it used to differ 1-2% lower than the local dynojet, now it appears to be -5% under the dynojet.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His car was not tuned for the meth. They just turned the boost up. I mean he could pick up quite a bit with some more timing and leaner a/f. But he would be better off with a standalone or piggyback.

--Josh
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

This is where cam gears really become worthwhile. Tighten the LSA slightly and advance the intake cam about 2 degrees, and they spool as quickly as stock.

True, but just to help clarify, I assume you are saying +2 from where they sit and not from 0.

Before he moves any thing though, it would be helpful to know his current settings. You don't want too great of a spread (over 6 deg ?) in either direction. For instance, if he is at -1/-4, he wouldn't want to go +1/-4, but if he is at the popular -3/-3 then -1/-3 would make sense.

According to a tech at Fidanza, a +/- split set up (plus and minus combinations) aren't used on our (import) cars, but I have forgotten the technical explanation.

This may be implied also in your suggestion, but he might want to start with just 1 deg and try that. then move on to 2, etc...

Probably a bit of overkill on my part, but you don't want things banging around in there.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
FWIW, cam gears are not mentioned in his mod list, so my suggestions are based using stock timing as a point of reference.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, cam gears are not mentioned in his mod list, so my suggestions are based using stock timing as a point of reference.
I am not sure what he is using for management, but he added 13psi of boost with alky and he only gained about 110hp, that just does not sound right. Maybe his motor has more potential with less boost but is just being limited by the stock ecu or something if that is what he is being tuned on.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a ton of whp potential in A/F's alone. It is the customer that decides ultimately what he considers safe. It is his car. There could be another 40-50whp or so in there. He had made his decision not to push it on stock motor.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

The Car has:

Stock Cam Gears

Stock Bottom End

Dynoed on a Mustang Dyno

AFR in the high 10's

Engine Management consists of Stock ECU with Flash...
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denolloyd
The Car has:

Stock Cam Gears

Stock Bottom End

Dynoed on a Mustang Dyno

AFR in the high 10's

Engine Management consists of Stock ECU with Flash...
Ok then definetly more potential there.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

jus a little off topic but....what clutch are you running on that car? thanks
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on getting the kit installed and running well. I am just wondering who you got the kit from? Was it a used kit or from one of our vendors? Curious as I don't recognize your screen name. Hopefully you will be taking it to the track soon.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

also, you are only on stock ecu, thats good power for that..... throw in an AEM and you will see over 500whp
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
The GT35R will ultimately be my set-up one day. Congrats! Bring the car out to the Brandon meet on Wednesday's (Sonic in front of SuperWalmart off of 60). We'd love to check it out.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeMAN
why is that? PSI by itself is 100% irrelavant.....its about the HP #'s which he is well in the safe range, so please....make sure you get your facts straight before you confuse dumb people and we have to hear everyone saying "oh yea, i read some guy on the internet said the EVO can only run 32psi! oh MAN NAWZZZ OMG !!!"

end rant...sry

mike
its not 100% irrelavant. its all about cylinder pressure, not HP. Just the cylinder pressure needed to make over 525whp on a 35r is about the stock motor limit as far as safety is concerned. 32psi is pretty freakin high for the stock motor, unless the timing is retarded quite a bit, near the edge of EGT temps being too high.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:05 PM
Fomer Vendor

Hey man, I was down at CFT when you were there(tall skinny kid). I wish I could have stayed longer to see your runs. Damn good numbers, congrats!! And I am definitely going to get a tuned by John next time, very cool guy, knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: GT35R Installed!!! OMG... So Much Fun!