Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Data on various MY Blown Engines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see 1 bar of OP at idle.
Give or take a tenth or so.
6, 6 1/2 bar + at anything over 3000 rpm and throttle.
GReddy OP gauge.

If its anything like DSM's that translates into about 6-8 psi in the head.
No idea @ the mains / rods.

I guess it only takes one soft bearing half, or a small restriction or piece of casting to make a large difference at that point.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:33 PM

alot of tracked Evos can make use of a dry-sump. with 6-6.5bar of Oil pressure 3k+rpm, thats plenty of oil pressure.

excellent info. ^
Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Model year:03
Mods:269 cams,autronic, and lots more 350whp on pump gas
Miles: 30000
Conditions: 120mph on front straight away at Grattan Raceway burnt 3 pistons lots of metal transfer no breakage. occured after 7hrs at the track with 20min sessions
Race/Track History: 6 track days, couple of TSD rallys
Contributing Factors: needed couple gallons of 100+octane (track was out of race gas) or turn the boost down a little (learn something new every day)
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
who else ticks? mine started out very very feint, and not always. then it started to tick at startup and go away once the car was warmed up or i got on the boost. now its louder and doesn't go away. everything drives fine no knock or anything out of the ordinary according to evoscan. for one its embarrassing, but its also getting worst. I was thinking it was a lifter and that I would address it when I did my cams in january, but I am not feeling too good about it..
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Dino
who else ticks? mine started out very very feint, and not always. then it started to tick at startup and go away once the car was warmed up or i got on the boost. now its louder and doesn't go away. everything drives fine no knock or anything out of the ordinary according to evoscan. for one its embarrassing, but its also getting worst. I was thinking it was a lifter and that I would address it when I did my cams in january, but I am not feeling too good about it..
Doesn't sound good, get it checked out asap.

Scorke
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

how can you tell if it is lifter? and how can you tell which one it is? thanks
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Dino
how can you tell if it is lifter? and how can you tell which one it is? thanks
come on dino. u dont know this....
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

yo whatsup duuuuuude. I know what a lifter sounds like now haha, I just still have no idea wtf is making the noise. I do know that it did not do it at all when it warm for those two days last week. you been to the track at all since the setup?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lifter tick can be fixed by new lifters or by following the FSM servicing procedure with diesel fuel (step by step). One of my lifters started ticking at 45K miles, I cleaned and serviced them and the tick has been gone since (15K miles so far), knock on wood.

Sometimes lifter noise can result from oil pressure trouble for various other reasons, some are fatal signifying a dying bearing.

The most effective route would be to send off an oil sample and disect the oil filter. If all is good, replace or fix lifters
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

that was actually another fear of mine that a bearing could be on its way out...though I Have never heard of a bearing dying. I have only heard it work fine then be totaly effed, hence I spun a bearing. sometime the noise sounds like it can be a lifter going tick_tick_tick_tick. and sometime its souds like tick tick_tick tick_tick tick_
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before I serviced the lash adjusters it would go like:
tick - - - - - - - tick - - tick - tick - - - - - - - tick - - - tick, very randomly.

After servicing they were tickless, it's always good to check the bottom end as a precauionary measure though
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

well I hve some GSC S1s sitting here looking for a home, so when I get to putting them in I will further investigate the lifters. hopefully its nothing to serious and is an easy fix. thanks for the info C6
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

I too have the ticking noise with 13k miles on my 05. I only hear it at idle and that is after the car has been running for a while. Can someone point me in the right direction on a DIY lifter cleaning guide? I changed the oil w/ new filter and its still there.

I'm afraid Mitsu wont cover it under warranty because previous owner has an intake, downpipe, and exhaust. Am I screwed with them? Should I expect to be raped?

What can I do?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Model year:04
Mods: Unichip, boost up, and lot's of NOS from the previous owner
Miles: 20.000 (km)
Conditions: from start to 3rd gear pull. the piston head from cylinder number one just blew. when we took the engine apart on friday, I saw a lot of knoking signs on the other cylinders.
Race/Track History: None, bought the car 4 days ago !!!
Contributing Factors: Lot's of NOS from the previous stupid MTF owner and mechanic.
I'm going mad without my evo ... just bought it and want it back
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

04 gsr 24000miles Gt35r,cams bolt ons. Threw a rod thru the block. I was out late one frigid night and decided to launch without being warmed up. Bang! Ive been too depressed to tear it apart and really look at it. But, on the bright side, I have some new plans for the car in the future.......Although it will be a while

Quick Reply: Data on various MY Blown Engines