Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help! Loud whistle when evo boosting. Not turbo sound

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Loud whistle when evo boosting. Not turbo sound

Sorry cut and pasted from another site!

Alright guys any help would be great. I am having an issue when my car is hitting boost. There is a high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine. I took it in and they thought it was a leaky blow off valve which makes sense so i replaced it and the noise is still coming only not as loud. I am suspecting that it is one of the hoses but i am probably going to take it back in since they did not charge me for the diagnostic. Car still boosts fine its just the noise. I dont want to live with it unless i have too. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys.

I am pretty sure its not the normal sound of the turbo. I think that there might be a small hole in one of my lines. The problem is it only leaks under load as opposed to when the car is sitting. Im gonna have to check my hoses. Its A high pitched whistle that is loud enough to be heard from the cockpit with the windows open. Alright all this happened after doing a boost controller swap but i put everything back to stock and still the noise. That is why i think it is one of the lines. It is stumping a lot of people and my goal is to fix it, but if i cant I am beging to wonder if it is going to be trouble. car runs fine with it, there is no loss of boost so I DONT KNOW. If i had hair ID be pulling it out, but thanks a lot guys.

I have the HKS drop in filter and i was running the GFB stealth but i switched to the 9 MR last night. Still getting the sound but not as loud! I might just have to deal with this sound! Its just a puzzle!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You typed a lot without giving us any detail. You didn't say what gear, at what boost level, at what rpm, or what happens when you hear the whistle.

Without any of that info, I'm just going to make my normal guess in this situation and say that you still have the stock airbox with the stock intake snorkel, and when you installed this stuff, you broke or lost the clips that fasten down the snorkel. Therefore, it is sitting freely and at 6k rpm in 3rd gear at full boost, you are getting a high-pitch whistle right as you lose all your boost and power. This is being caused by the snorkel sucking up against he hood and cutting off your air supply. If so, grab some clips from the trunk lining, and put some into the 2 openings on the snorkel. Your car will run fine after this.

If nothing I said there applies to you, then give us more details about the problem.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like an audible boost leak (or an exhaust leak)

I Had the whistle on my SR20 and it was both (at different times)
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

thanks warr. i scured my snokel and the noise is gone
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8GSR
Sorry cut and pasted from another site!

Alright guys any help would be great. I am having an issue when my car is hitting boost. There is a high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine. I took it in and they thought it was a leaky blow off valve which makes sense so i replaced it and the noise is still coming only not as loud. I am suspecting that it is one of the hoses but i am probably going to take it back in since they did not charge me for the diagnostic. Car still boosts fine its just the noise. I dont want to live with it unless i have too. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys.

I am pretty sure its not the normal sound of the turbo. I think that there might be a small hole in one of my lines. The problem is it only leaks under load as opposed to when the car is sitting. Im gonna have to check my hoses. Its A high pitched whistle that is loud enough to be heard from the cockpit with the windows open. Alright all this happened after doing a boost controller swap but i put everything back to stock and still the noise. That is why i think it is one of the lines. It is stumping a lot of people and my goal is to fix it, but if i cant I am beging to wonder if it is going to be trouble. car runs fine with it, there is no loss of boost so I DONT KNOW. If i had hair ID be pulling it out, but thanks a lot guys.

I have the HKS drop in filter and i was running the GFB stealth but i switched to the 9 MR last night. Still getting the sound but not as loud! I might just have to deal with this sound! Its just a puzzle!
If you're in LA area, take your car to either Tuning Technologies or RRE. THey can help.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:28 PM

the sound comes in all gears when i hit boost( above 3k). Car still runs the same I am not loosing boost its just a high pitched whistle. I think its a hose but I am not sure. Is there a good way to test hoses for small leaks or should i just take it in. I am in SOCal so RRE or tuning technologies is an option but i really think it is something simple.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

In that case, it's a big boost leak. All you need to do is a pressure test:

http://vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

Make one and go test it. Or, go to one of those local shops, and they can do it for you at a low price hopefully...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:58 PM

I had a diagnostic run at the local mitsu dealership is there a difference. I figures they tested for boost leaks am I wrong in thinking this?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, a diagnostic. That's an ECU check. The dealer doesn't know how to do a boost leak test, man.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:01 PM

Yea i figured that! They didnt charge me or else it would have been a different story. I think i know what hose is leaking so i might have a run at it tonight. The noise is just rediculous, but it cant be a big leak or i wouldnt be boosting solid? Oh well i need to go to RRE and get some stuff soon anyways. Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

To hear it, it has to be big. The turbo is working harder to overcome the leak.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Yes you have a huge boost leak. Back when I had my 2g Eclipse my lower intercooler pipe was off and it sounded like a siren when it spooled up.