Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What happened here?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006 | 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and the XEDE conditionals were programmed, in this case, to work with the factory narrow band o2 sensor. No wideband in this car! AFR display on the right....

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 10, 2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
As for how the leanrun was induced, that's simple. I just had someone yank off the boost line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator in the middle of a dyno pull . This resulted in an immediate 20psi drop in fuel pressure. In any other situation, that would have caused engine failure. How's that for being confident in a product?

shiv
I have had that thing blow off 3 times . Luckily, race gas and the stock ECU have come through for me. Just another point that its damn near impossible to blow up a car w/ a XEDE .
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Oh, and the XEDE conditionals were programmed, in this case, to work with the factory narrow band o2 sensor. No wideband in this car! AFR display on the right....
That (using the narrow band o2 sensor ) is excellent shiv. Can this feature be used with the "nonsmart" maps?
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modvp
That (using the narrow band o2 sensor ) is excellent shiv. Can this feature be used with the "nonsmart" maps?
But of course. You can also have the XEDE trigger conditionals based on knock activity as well. But getting that input will require the optional knock buffer for $100.

Shiv
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

When will this be available?
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Very cool stuff Shiv,

I might have to upgrade coming up here pretty soon.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

I will install somewhat of a poormans version of this, but by using totally different mechanism. It's called alcohol inj with a flow sensing unit that supplies 5vdc to a WG act solenoid when less than 200ml/mil is sensed.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Pulling the hose off the regulator at 20 psi would not cause engine failure in any other kind of situation. I don't agree at all with that statement. I have had the FPR hose blow off an many cars at different levels of boost. I have yet to hurt one from it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Pulling the hose off the regulator at 20 psi would not cause engine failure in any other kind of situation. I don't agree at all with that statement. I have had the FPR hose blow off an many cars at different levels of boost. I have yet to hurt one from it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Dave, wasn’t it you who suggested to another evo owner to NOT tap the boost gauge from the FPR but from another source on the intake manifold? Thus preventing any type of lean condition (such as a hose blow off) that maybe catastrophic to the engine.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modvp
Dave, wasn’t it you who suggested to another evo owner to NOT tap the boost gauge from the FPR but from another source on the intake manifold? Thus preventing any type of lean condition (such as a hose blow off) that maybe catastrophic to the engine.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I have a question:
I was about 21 psi at around 7000rpm (not sure may be more) in 2nd (wot) and for some reason, the car felt like it gradually lost fuel. It wasnt sudden but wasn't like the limiter either, kinda in between.

What happened?

My fp has been running in hi mode in mid throttle recently, could it be going bad or is it something else? no SES either

THANKS
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 02:31 PM

nice
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
The FPR is the absolute worste place to tap anything into!! Do not do that. If the boost gauge or any of the extra lines you use develop a leak you could very well blow your engine.

There are atleast 2 other ports on the intake to tap into. The BOV line is the easiest.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Huh?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&postcount=318

Last edited by jj_008; Mar 10, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Not trying to cause any problems, but men should stand behind what they say. Would Dave be willing to pull the line off his car in the middle of a pull? On pump gas? Genuinely curious based upon Dave's statement (and the fact he knows a lot more than I do). I am trying to know what I see as a discrepancy between what he said in this thread and the linked one.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

The FPR is the absolute worste place to tap anything into!! Do not do that. If the boost gauge or any of the extra lines you use develop a leak you could very well blow your engine.

There are atleast 2 other ports on the intake to tap into. The BOV line is the easiest.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Thanks jj_008, that's the post I'm referring to.