Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What happened here?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006 | 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Wait... what? Huh? I keep re-reading this sentence and I just can't quite grasp it for some reason.
That's signature worthy
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Hey shiv,

You mentioned in post #16 that you where running this off the narrowband 02. Is that the chart in pink in that screenshot? Are you converting narrowband 02 voltage to wideband-like AFR numbers?
Yep.. I'm running the raw o2 voltage signal into a 3d maxtrix (MAF vs. rpm). Since narrow band o2 sensors are so sensitive to sensor temps and exhaust velocity (which just so happens to go hand-in-hand with MAF), I can generate a psuedo wideband o2 signal using the factory narrow band sensor. It's going to be much more accurate than the raw signal but still not nearly as accurate as a true wideband. But it's more than capable of distinguishing between a 11:1 AFR and a 13:1 AFR which is all you really need to trigger a lean-run protection response.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Good Stuff Shiv! Always nice to have some sort of protection.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

If I ignore them, they'll go away (I hope)

Shiv, I would imagine that this is compatible with freedom's boost compensation module... right?

If the lean condition was induced by hard g-forces in a turn with a low tank of gas, and then fuel pressure returned when the car straightened out, how quick would the system return to normal operation? I'm assuming instantaneously....
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Neat protection. This works with older Xede units as well (as long as upgraded to most recent firmware)?

Last edited by xtnct; Mar 10, 2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

You guys are absolutely correct about tapping into the FPR I did say that, still say that. That is not the point, I do stand behind what I said. It is a poor place to tap into as if that hose pops off, as Shiv pointed out the car will loose the FP it needs. BUT BUT BUT, Shiv's little tuning toy he is trying to pawn off on you blind people is not the only thing that keeps an engine from blowing when this happens. That is what he was trying to get across in his post. Rather than see that you guys accuse me of being incorrect. What a joke.

Unless you are a complete retard, and some of you very well may be from the looks of things, the second that hose pops off the car will misfire and fall on its face. At that point I have never seen a single person keep standing in the throttle to see if their engine would blow up. I have had both the map sensor and FPR pop off in the middle of a 7 second 1/4 mile pass, NO damage was done. I stand behind what I said, I HAVE NEVER SEEN an engine damaged from loosing that hose. I have also never been or seen anyone DUMB enough to stay in the throttle after it happened.

Shiv, this would obviously be a good safety feature for anything YOU drive.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

As a matter of fact, since some of you ticked me off with your dumb comments of me being "owned" a few weeks ago I was tuning a car with an AEM on it. At the very end of the pull the FPR hose must have blown off, when I lifted. The next pull the car was obviously very lean. It was puzzling to me how it got so lean. I didn't consider the hose at first and just ramped up the injectors. It occured to me when I saw the duty cycles this particular car was using after the hose was off that something was wrong. I got out, put the hose back on and clamped it and was back on my way.

Owned....haha that's a good one.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
As a matter of fact, since some of you ticked me off with your dumb comments of me being "owned" a few weeks ago I was tuning a car with an AEM on it. At the very end of the pull the FPR hose must have blown off, when I lifted. The next pull the car was obviously very lean. It was puzzling to me how it got so lean. I didn't consider the hose at first and just ramped up the injectors. It occured to me when I saw the duty cycles this particular car was using after the hose was off that something was wrong. I got out, put the hose back on and clamped it and was back on my way.

Owned....haha that's a good one.
You guys are absolutely correct about tapping into the FPR I did say that, still say that. That is not the point, I do stand behind what I said. It is a poor place to tap into as if that hose pops off, as Shiv pointed out the car will loose the FP it needs. BUT BUT BUT, Shiv's little tuning toy he is trying to pawn off on you blind people is not the only thing that keeps an engine from blowing when this happens. That is what he was trying to get across in his post. Rather than see that you guys accuse me of being incorrect. What a joke.

Unless you are a complete retard, and some of you very well may be from the looks of things, the second that hose pops off the car will misfire and fall on its face. At that point I have never seen a single person keep standing in the throttle to see if their engine would blow up. I have had both the map sensor and FPR pop off in the middle of a 7 second 1/4 mile pass, NO damage was done. I stand behind what I said, I HAVE NEVER SEEN an engine damaged from loosing that hose. I have also never been or seen anyone DUMB enough to stay in the throttle after it happened.

Shiv, this would obviously be a good safety feature for anything YOU drive.
Alright... where are the hidden cameras??? I must be getting punked because this is just getting ridiculous.

Dave- You're wrong and its easy to prove. I just don't if its worth it since the level of your arguments has already reached rock bottom. Should I bother or are you just going to call me and others in this thread "retards" again

Let me know... because if your open to have what most people would deem to be an intelligent discussion, I'm down. If not, I suggest you leave this thread and never come back. Let me know...

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 10, 2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru

I think I need to make another batch of the "Buschur wouldn't like it" stickers that all us Californian DSMers ran 7yrs ago.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 10, 2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006 | 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
If I ignore them, they'll go away (I hope)

Shiv, I would imagine that this is compatible with freedom's boost compensation module... right?

If the lean condition was induced by hard g-forces in a turn with a low tank of gas, and then fuel pressure returned when the car straightened out, how quick would the system return to normal operation? I'm assuming instantaneously....

It should work just fine with freedom's module. It would just bring PWM0output to zero during lean run protection. I don't see how freedom's module would interfere with this. That question might be best left to him however.

The system will response nearly instantly to a rich run condition and go back to full boost mode. The next step (down the line) is for the user to be able to program "minimum response duration" which would allow for the fuel cut to happen for no less than x milliseconds. There is some merit into have such a system but we're talking last few percent here. The system, as it is, should suite the needs of 99% of applications.

I'm going to offer the new firmware update (and new XMAP version) to beta testers next week. A couple weeks of bug reporting (if any) should be good enough before it becomes available to everyone. There have been a lot of improvements/new features in XMAP as well. Those with a keen eye can see some of them in that screen capture earlier in this thread.

shiv
Old Mar 11, 2006 | 02:42 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Alright... where are the hidden cameras??? I must be getting punked because this is just getting ridiculous.

Dave- You're wrong and its easy to prove. I just don't if its worth it since the level of your arguments has already reached rock bottom. Should I bother or are you just going to call me and others in this thread "retards" again

Let me know... because if your open to have what most people would deem to be an intelligent discussion, I'm down. If not, I suggest you leave this thread and never come back. Let me know...
Seriously Shiv, I don't think you are in a position to teach Mr. Buschur anything about how cars function or work

if the dialouge is not "inteligent" enough for you it may be becuase you dont get it

Mr. Buschur is capable of doing this kind of work on evos (my evo) so I think his work speaks for itself

Old Mar 11, 2006 | 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Unless you are a complete retard, and some of you very well may be from the looks of things, the second that hose pops off the car will misfire and fall on its face.
A second seems like a pretty long time in terms of potential combustion events.
Old Mar 11, 2006 | 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

It should work just fine with freedom's module. It would just bring PWM0output to zero during lean run protection. I don't see how freedom's module would interfere with this. That question might be best left to him however.
My concern was that his boost compensation mode requires that the user modify the boost table to output "User4" instead of PWM0, then the compensation table inputs "User4" and outputs PWM0. I just didn't know how the logic of the Lean Run protect would determine which variable it wanted to modify.....

From the looks of it, if the car was tuned in the cold and then the lean condition happened in the heat, you could still have WG duty occuring if the Conditional is setup to modify the "User4" output to 0V. In hot temps the compensation table will still add duty to the 0V "User4" output resulting in a minor increase in boost. Whether this has an effect on the compensation is unknown to me.

If the logic of the conditional is to modify the PWM0 output regardless of what table that output is coming from, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

The system will response nearly instantly to a rich run condition and go back to full boost mode. The next step (down the line) is for the user to be able to program "minimum response duration" which would allow for the fuel cut to happen for no less than x milliseconds. There is some merit into have such a system but we're talking last few percent here. The system, as it is, should suite the needs of 99% of applications.
Nice, good to know.

I'm going to offer the new firmware update (and new XMAP version) to beta testers next week. A couple weeks of bug reporting (if any) should be good enough before it becomes available to everyone.
Don't look at me, I'm off the Beta Boat for a bit....

There have been a lot of improvements/new features in XMAP as well. Those with a keen eye can see some of them in that screen capture earlier in this thread.
The fact that XMap displays actual A/F, and actual timing now, rather than those weird values before?

On the timing display, is that actual timing at the engine, or the timing offset from stock that the Xede is implementing?

- Steve
Old Mar 11, 2006 | 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Seriously Shiv, I don't think you are in a position to teach Mr. Buschur anything about how cars function or work

if the dialouge is not "inteligent" enough for you it may be becuase you dont get it

Mr. Buschur is capable of doing this kind of work on evos (my evo) so I think his work speaks for itself

Your analogy is like comparing someone who can [edit] assemble a computer to somewone who can make programs for a computer.....You are like the person who knows the subject language but only has superficial subject knowledge.

Last edited by Jorge T; Mar 11, 2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2006 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

this is all pretty funny.

it never fails, someone has to throw a 'nudge' in and the games begin.

Al, you are fanboi numero uno, it must be hard to walk with that kak so far up your behind.