Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is my walbro dying?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is my walbro dying?

The pump is operating in the high flow mode at low to mid throttle instead of only WOT like it used to. This is confirmed by listening with seat out and panel off like I did for a check after I installed it 1 year ago. My ears aren't lying it's high flow, not to mention the 13vdc read with jumpers on the pump connecter. But it only does this intermittently

What is going on? The car has only operated in "high" at WOT, but now this.

Another thing occurred: at 7000+rpm, 21 psi, in 2nd gear the engine faded - like was slowly running out of gas - but tank was full and I was going straight. No SES light car runs good, compression ck same, any clues?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put the stock fuel pump back in and see if the problem goes away.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

I removed the fuel psi solenoid, cleaned out a little oil in connector and on solenoid. Bench checked it with battery and a hose. Put it on, and for some reason pump has been working normal for a hour so far (was 15 min). Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:41 PM

to test fuel pump...you test fuel pressure and volume......to know if a fuel pump is putting out enough fuel, test the fuel flow. use a vacuum hose and hook it to the end of the fuel rail. let it idle. if it flows more than half of a 20oz bottle (10oz) in 15 seconds, then the fuel pump is good
Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dashiet
to test fuel pump...you test fuel pressure and volume......to know if a fuel pump is putting out enough fuel, test the fuel flow. use a vacuum hose and hook it to the end of the fuel rail. let it idle. if it flows more than half of a 20oz bottle (10oz) in 15 seconds, then the fuel pump is good

I definately need to monitor fuel pressure on the rail, so many things in the system effect it or can malfunction, even without the ECU detection.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Walbro

Mine started doing the exact same thing. My car is running fine as well. People I talked to said not to worry about it, that it was normal. They said it happens when you get stuck in traffic a lot or you rag on the car, or it is plain hot outside. I am going to clean the electrical connections to make sure everything is alright and see if that makes a difference. Good luck and keep us posted if you find a cause.

Sigfrid
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ruzs
Mine started doing the exact same thing. My car is running fine as well. People I talked to said not to worry about it, that it was normal. They said it happens when you get stuck in traffic a lot or you rag on the car, or it is plain hot outside.
+1
I'm on my 2nd Walbro 255 fuel pump. First one started whining non-stop last summer in 95+ F deg. heat in a 2.5 hour rush hour traffic jam. It continued to whine after that even the next day on a short trip. I swapped in the stocker- fixed.. no problems.. Swapped in a 2nd Walbro and so far I've not been able to reproduce the non-stop whine. However, this was over winter.. spring/summer is on it's way.

-nixx
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

How can so many Walbro pumps "die" in such short timespans. It doesnt make sense.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Walbro

They are not dead. They just make more noise at some point. I cannot return to the stock pump with the mods I have, so I am particularly interested in this issue. If it does not affect performance, I could not care less about the noise. If it is dangerous, I'm all ears.

Sigfrid