Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I love it - buy a $30,000 car and try to save $30 by buying some cheap *** mbc made from hardwear store part

Trying to be responsible here

The more expensive Forge and Hallman units are CNC machines from solid hunks of metal and anodized or polished to look good

Also - both require no wrench to adjust using click aqdjusters

They do cost a bit more but work much better in my experience

Also - the minor problems which the Forge units expereinced were becuse bits of polsihing compound were clogging the bleed hole - this has since been corrected

Every unit I sell of Forge is pre checked and tested

It is the best working MBC on evos - period

You get what you pay for
If evo owners took that philosophy of "you get what you pay for" on all there upgrade paths your flashes would be non existant as they have been known for been one of the least expensive flashes available.

I have the dejon on my car it was $55 and it holds boost extremely well, I can not comment on other products. I can say that some products look better which has nothing to do with the performance of the product and I could car less how fancy my mbc looks.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saywhen
If evo owners took that philosophy of "you get what you pay for" on all there upgrade paths your flashes would be non existant as they have been known for been one of the least expensive flashes available.

I have the dejon on my car it was $55 and it holds boost extremely well, I can not comment on other products. I can say that some products look better which has nothing to do with the performance of the product and I could car less how fancy my mbc looks.
Exactly, the things that come out of peoples mouths are amazing. Using the argument of buying a 30K car and cheaping out on a cheap MBC is LOL funny. Using a MBC is cheaping out!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

The forge mbc is a very nice looking and adjustable product. Works great on my evo. However i have used a $10 homemade mbc on my eclipse and it worked just as good, but adjusting it sucked. And ive used the profec b, and it wasnt ever as smooth with the profec as it was with the mbcs.

The forge is very nice to adjust and its clean looking.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

LOL! Open mouth insert both feet. Big Al is good at that.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

I made this MBC for $8 and used it on my old GTI.

I use a Hallman Pro RX on my evo....

1. I must be a REAL idiot...I can make my own and STILL chose to buy an "overpriced" one for $80!

2. I use the Hallman because it's a high-quality version of what I made. It's not really an earth shattering decision as some people are trying to make it out to be.

3. I also think the Forge piece is very nice.

4. The real idiots are the ones who pay $40-50 for what I made at home depot....

-Gabe
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Gabe J

i made mine out of barb adaptors, a female t fitting, a bolt a nut, a spring and a metal BB, works great, just a pain to adjust. cost me ~$10. Holds 22psi all day
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

I used a $22 air compressor regulator on my Grand National. Had to order a different sping because 1 click was about 2 - 2 1/2 psi.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I use a Hallman and, short of using an adjustable WGA, it's the best boost controller I have ever used.

Order of greatness, as tested by me:

1. HKS Adjustable Wastegate Actuator (Held boost like a champ)
2. Hallman MBC (Greatest BC evAr!)
3. HKS EVC V (complicated but spend some time and it will reward your patience)
4. Blitz SSBC (simple, simple, simple. Turn knob, boost goes up.)
5. Apexi AVC-R (way too diffcult to get right! It would work in one climate but suck in another)
29. Greddy Profec B Spec-II (sucked ****!)
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

I think everybody's essentially saying the same thing. An MBC is a simple component, and it really just comes down to the small differences. For me, looks, material, ease of adjustability, and company reputation made the Forge unit worth the extra 30 bucks over the pieces you pictured.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a home made MBC from "Lowes" cost , $17 I thought it was causing "boost taper" (22-23 peak falling to 21) so I got a....................
New Hallmam MBC $80 and guess what ? It has the same "boost taper" 22ish falling to 21. BUT it looks way better , and it easier to adjust .
If i needed a mbc now i would go with the Froge unit , I like the clicks to know how much you adjusted it up or down .

Just b/c it homemade dosent mean its junk .

Last edited by matt55; Mar 13, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ LMAO That is just awesome! You couldn't have said it better than that, EVER!

Watch what you say Al, it always seems to come back and bite you in the ***! Good on you for allowing it to happen

I have a Hallman on my 2g and it has worked great for years. Bought a Forge, because they actually were just slightly cheaper than the Hallman and came with mount brackets vs the old rubber clamp. And it works great as well. I bought them both based on others experiences and the way it looks as well....asthetics are a part of my modding process.

No one has really answered your question here as of yet. I can't either, but tell you that there isn't any real reason why those other MBC won't work for you. So I'd say use them.
As long as you are satisfied with the end result, it doesn't matter if Al puts his foot in his mouth or if someone else is going to tell you the cheaper ones aren't going to work because they said so. If you don't care what something is going to look like, but it serves it's purpose, and serves it well.....go with that product and save your money for something else.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3000ways, both of the ones you pictured require a wrench to loosen the nut before being able to adjust the MBC knob, which is terribly annoying.

I love my Unos, but I also loved my Hallman Pro. In fact, I kept it as backup in case I ever need it. So far, I haven't needed it, but I've used it to help troubleshoot several other Evos so far. My Hallman is worth every penny. The major advantage of my Unos is the ratcheting knob, which is invaluable. Since they are the same price, I give the Unos the edge.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by poormansracecar
I used a $22 air compressor regulator on my Grand National. Had to order a different sping because 1 click was about 2 - 2 1/2 psi.
I am with you bro, I know exactly what you are talking about, you can get them from Home depot and they come in all sizes.. The knob is adjustable and made of plastic and it locks and it comes with the plus/minus arrows, and the core is normally made of metal and is black

It is all about choices, obviously if you are in a budget then I can see the point of getting something cheaper but Cmon guys, a MBC is perhaps one of the most important parts in your car, if you are trying to buy something that is garbage be aware you are risking your engine, at least buy something that has been reliable.

Carlos
Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

And you have to look at the type of Boost Controller some are Bleed type and others are Ball and spring type, the Ball and spring type will always cost more than the bleed type.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller?

Because of corrosion resistance, reliability, precision, and dependability. and looks too.

Thats why I would. But if you can make your own pressure relief valve then break a leg.

Quick Reply: Why pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller?