Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003 | 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

There is an overflow tube in the IC spray bottle. You CANNOT fill it to the top. If you do fill it to the top, the drain tube will drain the liquid until the advised maximum level is reached.

I suspect that the Mack d00d above just didn't notice his overflow tube regulating the level of the tank. I'd be willing to bet that if he went out to look at it right now, the level would not be above the drain tube.

The Manual says to put windshield washer fluid in the tank because you don't want the contents of the bottle to freeze in the winter. If you are in a place that does not see freezing temperatures (CA), or if you are out of your areas cold season, feel free to fill the bottle with distilled water.

SC~
Old Apr 7, 2003 | 11:03 AM

Is there any real problems with using windshield washer fluid for the I/C sprayer anyway? I live in California and although we do not see freezing temperatures, I plan on taking the car to tahoe and the like sometime in the far future and do not want to have to worry about replacing the fluid if water is used instead.
Old Apr 7, 2003 | 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

There are no problems using windshield washer fluid in the I/C sprayer. Thats what comes in the car from the factory.

You are in CA. Just fill it with water till you know you will be visiting somewhere cold.

You don't have to drain out all the water before you can put in washer fluid. Afterall, washer fluid is made with water. Dumping the washer fluid into a 50% full (of water) I/C sprayer bottle will only increase the temp at which the liquid will freeze.... It will still remain liquid at sub freezing temps though.

SC~
Old Apr 7, 2003 | 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Re: filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir

Originally posted by ink124
I have 350 miles on my EVO now and decided to check the fuilds. Everything looks good with the exception of the intercooler spray fuild. When I checked the reservoir, it appeared to be pretty low. So I thought to myself, what the heck, let me fill it up because you never know when you'll actually need it! So as I proceeded to fill the reservoir to the rim, I hear the sound of pouring rain. The fluid is somehow overflowing/leaking and spilling all over my shoes! What the $@%#??!! I stand there only to see the fluid level drop to where it was before I started filling. Is there a leak in my system or is that just a drain tube? And if it is a drain tube, then why did they put it so low? Doesn't make sense to me...
Mine does the same thing. I did not look at too closely but it looks like the overflow hose is a little low. I wonder why theuy made it like that?? It really makes no sense. It might be a defect of design or manufacture....
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 06:10 PM
CJK
Evolving Member

So water will stay at a lower temp than windshield washer fluid?
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Please don't resurrect old dead threads unless you have something important to add.

You are probably referring to what I wrote...

"Afterall, washer fluid is made with water. Dumping the washer fluid into a 50% full (of water) I/C sprayer bottle will only increase the temp at which the liquid will freeze.... It will still remain liquid at sub freezing temps though."

Washer fluid freezes at a lower temp than water. They usually remain liquid down to like -20 degrees F. Water freezes at 32 degrees F. If you add water to the mix, you are diluting the washer solution and increasing the mixtures freezing point.

SC~
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Isopropol Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
lower freezing point. also a lower boiling point. more efficient at evaporative based cooling.

My only concern is parts longevity. I know most rubbers and plastics in the modern car as designed and formulated to be resistant to alcohol based corrosion since a lot of normal auto fluids have some kind of alcyloid based component.

Comments from the more knowledgable would be appreciated.
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

it's just an overflow.
gotta have a reason for it...dunno y though
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 08:30 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Kyperion
Isopropol Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
lower freezing point. also a lower boiling point. more efficient at evaporative based cooling.

My only concern is parts longevity. I know most rubbers and plastics in the modern car as designed and formulated to be resistant to alcohol based corrosion since a lot of normal auto fluids have some kind of alcyloid based component.

Comments from the more knowledgable would be appreciated.
Sorry wrong wrong wrong!! Do not add flamable alcohol! Also think about it alcohol will evaporate at a much lower temp than water- what this means is it doesnt take as much latent heat along with it in comparison to an equal amount of water. It is inferior to distilled and washer fluid for this purpose!
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 08:42 PM

Thumbs down

Hey guys,
Alcohol sounds like a good idea but it is not so good with Aluminum. See the following link for a good material compatibility chart and scroll down to Isopropyl Alcohol....

http://enviro.nfesc.navy.mil/ps/spil...ppx_e_chem.pdf

You can also check the compatibility of rubbers off of this chart to the far right. Note that the hoses are "probably" Buna-N but I do not know for sure (see the Isopropyl Alchohol is not so good with Buna either).

--mike
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 08:44 PM

Add a handful of ice to your bucket if you are going racing... That should give you a few extra ponies....
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MP5

Sorry wrong wrong wrong!! Do not add flamable alcohol! Also think about it alcohol will evaporate at a much lower temp than water- what this means is it doesnt take as much latent heat along with it in comparison to an equal amount of water. It is inferior to distilled and washer fluid for this purpose!
Um, I thought windshield washer fluid had alcohol in it as an antifreeze...
Old Oct 22, 2003 | 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wasn't this post about overflowing of the IC reservoir? Mine does overflow at very low levels. Seems like that’s the norm. If you have anything to contribute to this fact, then post.
Old Mar 2, 2004 | 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

the only conclusion that I can come up with is that the bottle neck part is just to make it easy to fill up but it will also get hotter than the rest of the bottle, so the overflow hose can also be used for some heat to come out
Old Mar 2, 2004 | 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

it's just an overflow man....
and water is no problem to use in it.

Quick Reply: filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir