Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir

I have 350 miles on my EVO now and decided to check the fuilds. Everything looks good with the exception of the intercooler spray fuild. When I checked the reservoir, it appeared to be pretty low. So I thought to myself, what the heck, let me fill it up because you never know when you'll actually need it! So as I proceeded to fill the reservoir to the rim, I hear the sound of pouring rain. The fluid is somehow overflowing/leaking and spilling all over my shoes! What the $@%#??!! I stand there only to see the fluid level drop to where it was before I started filling. Is there a leak in my system or is that just a drain tube? And if it is a drain tube, then why did they put it so low? Doesn't make sense to me...
Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:25 PM

There is a clear tube that I can see the fluid flowing down, however, I'd have to remove the plastic covers under the car to see exactly where the leak is.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:40 PM

now that this has come up. exactly what type of liquid is best to put in the resevoir. cause some told me to just put water and others told me to put windshield fluid. anyone else wanna give me some feedback
Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I think the drain hose is low as I did the same thing. All over my toes
Old Apr 5, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

if you are using water for your IC sprayer, make sure it is distilled water. you don't want to have calcium & other minerals deposits build up & reduce the effectiveness of your IC.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

fluids with a lower freezing temperature will also likely have a higher boiling temp than pure water, so it is best to indeed use pure water, especially in an area that is not likely to see low ambient temperature such as the south, or most anywhere in the summer.
As mentioned by trigeek37, you should use "distilled water" which is about as pure as you can get. The thermal properties of this would give you the best performance. You can also buy it at any supermarket for about $1 per gallon.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by jojo
I think the drain hose is low as I did the same thing. All over my toes
Ah!! So, I'm not the only one with this added feature??
Old Apr 5, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I did the same thing if you overfill the tank it will go out the overfill hose and dump right on your floor. I dont think they thought this design to well it's very hard to know if it is full or low.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not near my evo manual but I seem to recall that it recommends some sort of glycol-based fluid, like windshield washer fluid. My guess is that the only reason for this is it doesn't freeze in the winter time...

For the best results in taking care of your intercooler, use anti-freeze, hahaha... but I didn't tell you to do that. But wait, what about that enviro-friendly antifreeze? Oh wait, maybe you don't want that going near your engine bay and the underside of your evo... so I guess windshield washer fluid is best.

Yeah for some of us we have to worry about freezing in about 7 months... so no bragging about where you live ok?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MYEVOVIII
Yes I did the same thing if you overfill the tank it will go out the overfill hose and dump right on your floor. I dont think they thought this design to well it's very hard to know if it is full or low.
They have all been made this way....I suspect a space is required in the resevoir for expansion if the fluid does freeze.....this will save your IC tank.....but I am sure the pump will crack in the event of a freeze....or the nozzles at least, it maybe the japs wanted to keep the weight on a low center of gravity...who knows????
Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Re: filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir

Originally posted by ink124
I have 350 miles on my EVO now and decided to check the fuilds. Everything looks good with the exception of the intercooler spray fuild. When I checked the reservoir, it appeared to be pretty low. So I thought to myself, what the heck, let me fill it up because you never know when you'll actually need it! So as I proceeded to fill the reservoir to the rim, I hear the sound of pouring rain. The fluid is somehow overflowing/leaking and spilling all over my shoes! What the $@%#??!! I stand there only to see the fluid level drop to where it was before I started filling. Is there a leak in my system or is that just a drain tube? And if it is a drain tube, then why did they put it so low? Doesn't make sense to me...
How could the IC spray fluid be low after only 350 miles? Must not have been filled all the way. I have 1500 miles and fluid level is fine, I think, well actaully I havent checked.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:44 PM

take it back to the dealer homie.....I own an 8 and I just filled my up after 280 miles and I didn't have that problem...
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

no, its like that. when you look into the reservoir, it looks like the neck part is empty. if you try to fill up the neck part, it will spill out under the hood. it will always look about 1/4 empty, but you cant fill it any more than that.

Quick Reply: filling intercooler spray fluid reservoir