Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock EVO - Ticking during Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock EVO - Ticking during Acceleration

OK, I've done some searching but haven't found any threads on my exact problem. It seems like most people that are hearing ticking have MODs on their cars. I haven't touch my car at all (and it only has 7k miles on it).

For the past couple hundred miles I've been hearing a ticking sound when I accelerate. The harder I step on the gas, the louder it gets. Once the car gets moving it seems to fade away. It seems to be especially loud while the car is warming up (and when it's really cold outside). I notice that it is definitely louder when the car is a bit bogged down. So if I shift into 3rd with low RPMs (and should probably be in second) it will be really loud.

I've also noticed that when the car is cold.. it seems to run worse than it did before, I'm not sure if this is related. I'll step on the gas and the car seems to hesitate a bit and almost sputter (the acceleration isn't too smooth). Everything definitely feels better once the car is warmed up... but I can still hear ticking sometimes when I hit the gas. Once I'm up to speed, I don't really feel any loss of power. It seems ok.

Does anybody else in a stock EVO hear this sound? If the sound is normal then I can just ignore it and go on with my life. I'm just wondering if I should look into this... I don't want to find out a couple thousand miles later that my engine is fooked because I let this go too long.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO-Lust-VIII
OK, I've done some searching but haven't found any threads on my exact problem. It seems like most people that are hearing ticking have MODs on their cars. I haven't touch my car at all (and it only has 7k miles on it).

For the past couple hundred miles I've been hearing a ticking sound when I accelerate. The harder I step on the gas, the louder it gets. Once the car gets moving it seems to fade away. It seems to be especially loud while the car is warming up (and when it's really cold outside). I notice that it is definitely louder when the car is a bit bogged down. So if I shift into 3rd with low RPMs (and should probably be in second) it will be really loud.

I've also noticed that when the car is cold.. it seems to run worse than it did before, I'm not sure if this is related. I'll step on the gas and the car seems to hesitate a bit and almost sputter (the acceleration isn't too smooth). Everything definitely feels better once the car is warmed up... but I can still hear ticking sometimes when I hit the gas. Once I'm up to speed, I don't really feel any loss of power. It seems ok.

Does anybody else in a stock EVO hear this sound? If the sound is normal then I can just ignore it and go on with my life. I'm just wondering if I should look into this... I don't want to find out a couple thousand miles later that my engine is fooked because I let this go too long.
Thats not normal! Take it to the dealer asap!!!!!!! Try not to drive the car like that
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be lifters/valves, but definitely could be worse (like bearings, rods). If you're stock take it in asap. You're covered no matter what it is.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

My 05 Ticks when its just idling, A member on the board told me it's my Lifters, Anyone else having that ticking under idle??? Im scared that my love is sick
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Mine ticked exactly like that.
Mine ended up being an exhaust leak at the turbo / manifold.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

check your oil..see if any metal shavings..i could be your lifters or valves, or maybe even piston slap for some odd reason, Regardng the warm up issue..evos dont like to be driven cold..mine does that also when cold..once warm all is fine though. that is why i always let my car warm up to at least the first line.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
EVO-Lust, you should stop driving it and bring it in.

As for the slight ticking during idle, this is normal but you should not be able to hear it inside the car or during acceleration.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
could be rod bearings. Have the dealer check it ASAP.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I have some ticking at idle in my IX, but its not noticeable from inside the car. Not really concerned with it as it has done that when I first got it brand new.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I think ibcevo is going in the right direction. It sounds like a lifter or a valve tapping. Either way for safety sake you need to take it to the dealer cause ultimatly no one can diagnose a problem over the internet.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

is it slow ticking sound? or fast?
ex. slow tick - tick - tick
ex. fast ti-ti-ti-tick?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nbpal4000
is it slow ticking sound? or fast?
ex. slow tick - tick - tick
ex. fast ti-ti-ti-tick?
Thanks everybody for the input. I'll bring it in as soon as I can. (You guys are getting me scared).

The ticking is pretty fast... not as fast as say a ringing bell... but definitely several times a second.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

you have a warranty, take it in. Stop abusing it or they wont cover it. Most dealers have a Mitsu inspector come in for any damage over $500. If you continue to abuse the car by not bringing it in, they will call it customer abuse and not warranty it. They are being sticklers to us Evo guys. At least here in the Bay Area, Ca they are. Good luck, please let us know (or me at very least) what the problem turned out to be. Sounds like cracked ring lands and piston slap.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:05 AM

I have a 05 gsr and I have the ticking but it sounds like the injectors firing.The ticking I hear is not auidble from inside the car. Try holding a screw driver to the injectors and your ear on the other end and see if you can here the injector opening for every pulse. Or yeah just be safe and take it to a professional so they can give you a proper diagnosis.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BaseModelEvo
.... Stop abusing it or they wont cover it.....
Abusing it? I'm just driving it. It's the only car I own... I kinda need it to get around. I didn't realize it could be so serious until just now.

But yeah, I'll bring it in ASAP and let everybody know what's up.

I wish a knew a good mechanic that I trusted and could actually talk to. The place I go to has like 10 mechanics in the back that I never get to see or talk with. They never let me back there for "insurance reasons". And when I ask them to take it for a drive... they don't take me with them... so I can't show them the problem. I miss the days when I knew my mechanic by name and I could just talk to the dude. It's like having surgery without talking to the doctor first... frustrating.

Quick Reply: Stock EVO - Ticking during Acceleration