Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cosworth Cams

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would they be better than the JUN 272's?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by swordfish
DO NOT READ THIS. I AM T3H DuMB h34D.

There probably wont be many people willing shell out almost $900 per cam for something unproven so it may take some time before people dive in. I'll be the ginea pig and put a set in my car and test them tomorrow if I can find a vendor to sell them to me at %10 over cost. Nearly $1800 is a lot of money to be out if the cams end up not living up to the hype. For the price of these cams, you can almost buy the AMS 2.3L kit or a pair of HKS cams (or comp cams) and a turbo upgrade.

jeff
I am sorry, but are you seriously calling ANYTHING from Cosworth unproven? You do understand who they are, right?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I am not calling them unproven. I am simply stating that they may not end up being the best cam out there for the EVO for the consumers dollar.

But, if you read the top of that post, it clearly states "DO NOT READ THIS". I made that statement when I thought the cams were going to be a rediculous amount of money. Nevertheless, just because they have the Cosworth name on them doesnt mean they inevidibly be better than the HKS, COMP or other cams available.

And yes, I know who they are and where they come from.

cheers

jeff
Old Mar 25, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Top companies are good because of technical knowledge and experience, as well as excellent processes and process control.

To reap the benefits on all points above, you need to buy something a little more involving - something like an assembled head or engine. If you buy a simple static component that costs far above what other top companies offer, you can be almost certain it isn't going to be worth it because all that is left is material spec. and machining and finishing operations which are evident or easily tested for.

Old and established companies that are possibly past their heydays also tend to bank on reputation. It is what many racing companies do when they have lost the edge and need to step down a notch or two into less hardcore markets - not that they still don't do great things, just not as successful in the arena they once did better in.

Any one of you can take Cosworth's cams along with 3 or 4 other big name sets, specs of which most closely match Cosworth's, and have them all profiled for 100 dollars or less, within 15 minutes. You might be surprised by the similarities. With differing curves you can match them to application. Or go to custom cam grinders and replicate the exact lobes with the file, and still pay less.

Going further you can pool money and spintron test the heads and view 3500 fps slow motion video and get an indication of valvetrain stability of different combinations. This will be slighty more costly but nothing beyond what you guys combined could do, say 50 dollars a person x 100 guys, to find out which is better of two top contenders.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by swordfish
No, I am not calling them unproven. I am simply stating that they may not end up being the best cam out there for the EVO for the consumers dollar.

But, if you read the top of that post, it clearly states "DO NOT READ THIS". I made that statement when I thought the cams were going to be a rediculous amount of money. Nevertheless, just because they have the Cosworth name on them doesnt mean they inevidibly be better than the HKS, COMP or other cams available.

And yes, I know who they are and where they come from.

cheers

jeff
FYI, don't know about the cams, but Mueller is running the Cosworth head on Kent Jordan's car and he said that it is better (by far) than anything else on the market. Take that for what it's worth.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:21 PM

We carry them if anyone is looking to get a set. (Shameless plug)

John
AIMeviantRacing
John@deviantracing.com
Old Mar 25, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeviantRacing
We carry them if anyone is looking to get a set. (Shameless plug)

John
AIMeviantRacing
John@deviantracing.com

haha actually i got a few sets on the way.

i think im gonna do a comparison between the jun's and cosworth cams once i get this jun stroker and cosworth head in....

just curious to see if anyone had any good data yet...
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LuxuryBroker
hey wot are these also for the 9?
Was talking to Ken @ Cosworth today about something different... but I did ask him what is / going to be available for the IX... Here's the answer:

- CNC ported head package, IX specific (ETA: late June)
- Cams, IX specific (ETA: late June; forgot to ask if they are going to exhaust side only)

As for VIII and IX compatible stuff, I believe these are it (someone correct me if I am wrong):

- rod bearings
- main bearing
- head stud kit
- billet crank
- pistons
- rods

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Is the the MASE from all those other forums??? If so, I've heard of nothing but praise about you, I also read somewhere you have people from UK sending you evo FQs for tuning, i bet them Cosworth/JUN parts are going into them.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by RRRS
Is the the MASE from all those other forums??? If so, I've heard of nothing but praise about you, I also read somewhere you have people from UK sending you evo FQs for tuning, i bet them Cosworth/JUN parts are going into them.

Yep that would be me

Thanks for the props.

Anyways, just found out the reason no one has tried these cams because cosworth havent shipped them yet... my fault.
Old May 8, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to drag this thread back from the dead (well, all 1.5 months of it) to ask what has happened to these cams?

I'm interested and there has been several other thread on it, but none with any hp numbers for the more stock setups. I mean, it's not such a transparent indication of performnace of the cams if you've got a million other mods on the car.

So, anyone runs these? Do they both (M1 and M2) need new springs and so forth? What are they like idle etc. compared to Revolvers, Jun, Tomei etc?
Old May 8, 2006, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm currently running the m2 camshaft in my car and it idles very good. better or similar than an hks 280. not nearly as rough as the revolver which i also have first hand experience with. no dyno numbers yet.
Old May 8, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
I'm currently running the m2 camshaft in my car and it idles very good. better or similar than an hks 280. not nearly as rough as the revolver which i also have first hand experience with. no dyno numbers yet.
So the revolvers are rough at idle? Didn't know that.. is it because of your other mods or purely the cams making it rough? I have a mind to get them myself. Seems good value and I thought they idled okay!?!
Old May 8, 2006, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The Revolvers have a very rough idle primarily due to the long valve overlap. If you're expecting an HKS-like idle, then no, they don't 'idle okay'. Be advised.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=cosworth+cams

ted b with the specs here could you comment on what you think about the cossie cams? if they should be run more in the style of increasing lsa, like 280s, or decreasing lsa, like 272s to get the overall powerband boost like:

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?o...2&topic=7365.0

i almost feel like i should say sorry for asking such a calculation based question but i also lack the rearl world cam testing experience and don't know what you may have seen in your encounters with the various types of cams.

i am hunting a problem that someone i know has... seems the cossies aren't puttin' out numbers like the hks cams do with the same type of degreeing, this is obviously possible if hte lobe centers are not hte same... so i'm wondering what the story is.

Last edited by trinydex; Jun 11, 2006 at 03:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Cosworth Cams