Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

just for fun, how much hp after turbo install estamate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just for fun, how much hp after turbo install estamate

as the tittle says this is just for fun, so dont get me on that whole do a search thing lol. any how my mods are

buddy club 272 i/e
RnR intake
hallman mbc
presision 780cc injectors
walbro 255lph fuel pump
RnR 3" tbe
s-afcII
arp head studs

turbo kit is an RnR 50trim BB with an upgraded fmic and lower IC pipe.
the car will be tuned to a 10.6-10.8 afr @ 20 psi on 91 for the street tune and a 11.4-11.6 @ 26 psi on 110 for the race gas map. the tuning will be done with the afc.

i am going to guse about 400whp +/- 10 for the street tune and 460 +/- 15 on 110. I will have the turbo on next saturday with a real dyno to follow soon after. again this is just for fun too see who can get close, if you dont want to participate you dont have to, dont start flamming me for not doing a search .
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Throw Some Alky On That Hog
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for fun, your expectations are extremely high and it's a complete mistake to rely on an SAFC with a turbo that big. I don't expect anywhere near 400whp @ 20psi on 91oct with an SAFC and really rich AFRs.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Just for fun, your expectations are extremely high and it's a complete mistake to rely on an SAFC with a turbo that big. I don't expect anywhere near 400whp @ 20psi on 91oct with an SAFC and really rich AFRs.
is that a fact warrtalon. what would you rely on "with a turbo that big" and what afr would you run? just for fun
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

A tuning that device that can control both AFR and timing, such as:

- Any flash tune (i.e. Dynoflash, TurboTrix, Vishnu, etc)
- Any piggyback (i.e. ECU+, Xede)
- Any standalone (i.e. AEM EMS, MOTEC) <-- This is best

I'd run low 11s or whatever AFR allows me good timing at good boost while staying being below the knock threshhold.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

well all though the afc can not directly alter timing it can still provide a veary good tune. best part about the afc is the fact that the stock ecu can still protect the motor from knock. i will post up that dyno as soon as i get it, you might be suprised at what the afc+injectors can do, only time will tell .
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

No, it's not a very good tuning device. It's incredibly crude, and it's a mistake to rely on it for a big turbo like that. You can't keep the timing under control to match the proper AFRs and the proper boost you want.

Why did you mention the ECU failsafes when 2 of the 3 tuning device categories I mentioned still use the stock ECU? Only a standalone replaces the stock ECU. The flashes and piggybacks (SAFC is a piggyback) still retain all of the stock ECU's failsafes as far as knock detection and timing retard.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

oh warrtalon, the afc debate is long and bumpy. i like the afc and hate flashes, you like flashes and hate the afc. to each his own i say and to call the afc crude, i would call it simple perhaps. the afc can do the job well as long as you know what you are doing and have the right supporting fuel mods to go with it.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by o4whtevors
oh warrtalon, the afc debate is long and bumpy. i like the afc and hate flashes, you like flashes and hate the afc. to each his own i say and to call the afc crude, i would call it simple perhaps. the afc can do the job well as long as you know what you are doing and have the right supporting fuel mods to go with it.
Au contraire, mon frere. I do not hate the SAFC. I ran 12.2 on my Evo with a self-tuned SAFC and cat-back, then hit 12.01 with a full exhaust. My favorite thing to do was have a base flash then tune the SAFC on top of the flash when using race gas. Now that I have alky, I don't need to ever retune, so I'm flashed optimally for my full setup and keep my SAFC handy in case I ever need it.

Why would you hate a flash when it's far superior to an SAFC? Even if you hate flashes (no good reason), those other piggybacks are also far superior to the SAFC. An SAFC is definitely crude, because it can't even control timing. All it can do is fool the ECU into thinking more (or less) air is crossing the MAF, which changes the AFRs and then tricks the ECU into using different timing maps. However, you cannot control the timing at each rpm, which is a bad thing. On the stock turbo, it's manageable, but going through the large expense of upgrading your turbo, then relying on an SAFC to tune it is just hard to understand.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

well if i run into knock or timing problems that can not be resolved i will end up getting into something else ( probly go ecu+ system ) but i would like to give the afc a shot at it first. we have something in common, we both like to tune our own stuff . i feel comfortable with the afc and think its up to the job, if the logs show otherwise the afc will come out and some thing else will go in. i will keep you posted warrtalon, hope i can prove you wrong .
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, please keep me posted. What dyno are you using, and will it be able to log boost with a map sensor? I'd like to see the HP, TQ, AFR, and boost curves if possible.