Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

US Only Oil Filters? What gives?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Only Oil Filters? What gives?

I've bought two new Evos since last August--an '8' and then an MR '9'. They both came from the factory with oil filter part #MD356000. But the only replacement filter from the dealer is MZ690116. The parts guy says this is listed as a 'US Only' filter. Why do we get a different one and is MD356000 better? Thanks, David Dicks
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Question Wtf?

Originally Posted by commonsense
I've bought two new Evos since last August--an '8' and then an MR '9'. They both came from the factory with oil filter part #MD356000. But the only replacement filter from the dealer is MZ690116. The parts guy says this is listed as a 'US Only' filter. Why do we get a different one and is MD356000 better? Thanks, David Dicks

Why would you use an OEM filter anyway?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Why would you use an OEM filter anyway?
Why not?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

$$$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by eve-slow
Why not?

Price and quality. ACDelco Part # PF1237

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Mar 31, 2006 at 06:06 AM. Reason: info added
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:03 AM

I've been using Fram filters for 35 years but I learned in August that there was a big screwup with Fram filters and EVO's. The filter they had been recommending was pulled from distribution. I talked with a rep back in August and he said the new filter was 'under deveopment.' Turbos usually have higher pressure oiling systems than other engines and the filter requires a higher 'burst pressure.' It's not something you want to fool around with. Until I find something different that's recommended by people 'in the know', I'm sticking with the factory OEM filters. But which one?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Fram.

Originally Posted by commonsense
I've been using Fram filters for 35 years but I learned in August that there was a big screwup with Fram filters and EVO's. The filter they had been recommending was pulled from distribution. I talked with a rep back in August and he said the new filter was 'under deveopment.' Turbos usually have higher pressure oiling systems than other engines and the filter requires a higher 'burst pressure.' It's not something you want to fool around with. Until I find something different that's recommended by people 'in the know', I'm sticking with the factory OEM filters. But which one?

Fram has some problems but you can get a better filter than OEM for less. Do a search for oil filter test on google and read read read. This is a good one.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:44 AM

That's helpful. Thank you. I will read it carefully. The problem is that just because a company makes pretty good filters generally......it doesn't follow that they will necessarily be good for EVO's. In this case, Fram's problems are a case in point. I think what we need is guys that have been racing these. That's certainly a 'worst case scenario'. Anyway, does anyone have any idea why the US gets a different filter than worldwide? I really don't care what filters cost. I've always thought it was false economy to save a few bucks on a filter....or oil.....on a car that costs many thousands of dollars.