Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To GT35R or FP3065 ???? choices, decisions....

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My argument is that the stock turbo will not flow as good as an upgraded turbo PERIOD So let say the stock turbo is putting out 15psi I know it is not the same 15psi a 3076r or bigger turbo is putting out. I was on the fence about a big turbo for a long time. I called a friend of mine ARNOLD from PAGPARTS.COM and he recomended the 3076r. I told him I wanted a good street turbo that makes good power up top. I also told him I did not want a laggy turbo. He sold me the 76r with a .82 backhousing and TO4s cover. I have the turbo on now.. and I am smiles from ear to ear. I have heard if people taking off their 35r for something smaller. I feel for pump gas and alky numbers the 76r is a good choice.
Old May 11, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You should seriously thing of the 35R, it is SO much more turbo, the 3076R would basically max out VERY quick, you'll be happy with it. If you are REALLY scared, think of the 3065 Turbo.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Now What?

Originally Posted by High_PSI
You should seriously thing of the 35R, it is SO much more turbo, the 3076R would basically max out VERY quick, you'll be happy with it. If you are REALLY scared, think of the 3065 Turbo.
I'm glad you opened the door for my next question. I want to stay loyal to the turbo kits that Buschur Racing offers. The GT3076R and the FP3065 are priced the same.

Do you see the dilemma?
Old May 19, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I'm glad you opened the door for my next question. I want to stay loyal to the turbo kits that Buschur Racing offers. The GT3076R and the FP3065 are priced the same.

Do you see the dilemma?
Scared huh? All for the sake of my ego, I wouldn't say "scared". I'd say that it's more of a "why test my ego" feeling with the GT35R sitting at my disposal. I'm still wedged between the Buschur Racing turbo kits. This is one headache that I'm grateful for. Here are a few thoughts that I'm battling right now:

1. Does the 20G-9 have the ability of flowing to redline?
2. Is the GT3076R turbo kit ($2900) worth the $700 difference between the 20G-9 with installation kit ($2200)? If so,
3. Is the difference in spool between the GT3076R and the FP3065 worth going with the FP3065 considering both are priced the same?

What goals am I looking to accomplish?

I will be using straight 93 octane. I go to the track (1320) about once a month. I'd be satisfied with the most aggressive-feeling 375-400whp / 375-400wtq combination. Alcohol may go into the equation after the turbo is installed with all the proper supporting mods.

OFF TOPIC QUESTION: If I'm tuned for 93 octane and throw a tank of race gas in for my occassional visit to the track (1320), am I at risk of causing damage to my car?

I appreciate your feedback fellahs.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
yellow evo... here's the difference between a big turbo and a stock upgrade.http://thelotspot.com/videos/billy_evos.wmv
wrx...

The link doesn't work for me but obviously its of an evo going fast with an upgraded turbo....

I'm not bashing turbo upgrades in any way (a 50 trim is my immediate future), however my original comment was regarding the difference between your whp at the time (380 something, 390?) with a 3076, and tom's, who is still running the stock turbo. the point was to illustrate the freakish numbers he was hitting on pump with the stocker, and how close that was to someone who had upgraded to a "bigger" turbo.

This comment was not in reference to turbo upgrades in general, the 3076 as a turbo, your respective powerbands, area under the curve, whp at a certain rpm, etc.

So you don't have to argue with me over the merit of upgrading turbos, you're preaching to the converted!

Last edited by yellowEVO21; May 19, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
wrx...

The link doesn't work for me but obviously its of an evo going fast with an upgraded turbo....

I'm not bashing turbo upgrades in any way (a 50 trim is my immediate future), however my original comment was regarding the difference between your whp at the time (380 something, 390?) with a 3076, and tom's, who is still running the stock turbo. the point was to illustrate the freakish numbers he was hitting on pump with the stocker, and how close that was to someone who had upgraded to a "bigger" turbo.

This comment was not in reference to turbo upgrades in general, the 3076 as a turbo, your respective powerbands, area under the curve, whp at a certain rpm, etc.

So you don't have to argue with me over the merit of upgrading turbos, you're preaching to the converted!
^ I understand what you're saying. The stock turbo for the VIII has put up some awesome numbers and for those of us not wanting to pursue the BIG power numbers, it'll "should" satisfy our needs minus the top-end flow shortcomings. The phrase "go BIG or stay with stock" comes to mind. I too considered (are considering) the GT3076R route but the more I look at this FP3065 the more appealing it gets. I want to stay loyal to the turbo lines that Buschur Racing offers and considering that the GT3076R and the FP3065 are priced the same, it looks like I have some spool characteristics to do and see what my tolerance level is. I know the word on the street is that lag is over-rated. I've posted some questions in this thread that I hope one of you fellahs take the time to answer.

Also, I was wondering is there a difference in feeling between the GT3076R and the FP3065 if both were tuned on similar set-up cars at 21 psi?
Old May 20, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will be using straight 93 octane. I go to the track (1320) about once a month. I'd be satisfied with the most aggressive-feeling 375-400whp / 375-400wtq combination. Alcohol may go into the equation after the turbo is installed with all the proper supporting mods.

OFF TOPIC QUESTION: If I'm tuned for 93 octane and throw a tank of race gas in for my occassional visit to the track (1320), am I at risk of causing damage to my car?

That is the power that I make now with alky and stock turbo at 27 lbs....if that is your goal I would stay wih the stock turbo, or 20g-9....nothing more..just my opinion
Old May 22, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
That is the power that I make now with alky and stock turbo at 27 lbs....if that is your goal I would stay wih the stock turbo, or 20g-9....nothing more..just my opinion
kmcconn9.

To maintain the integrity of this thread, I'd prefer to discuss this by PM. I've read quite a bit of information here on the forum particularly about the stock boost levels. I've seen (read) that most cars with the stock turbo are tuned around 20.0-21.5 psi and you're running 27 psi.

1. Is that a safe level of boost to run on the stock turbo without a built engine?

Or...

2. Is that the power output when the alky is activated?

Back to the thread, the GT35R is out of the question for me but the FP3065 is certainly tempting considering that it's priced the same as the GT3076R offered by Buschur Racing. I saw that JRod's EVO is hitting full boost around 4400 RPM. * Plaese anyone correct me if I'm wrong. * Assuming that I'm correct, IMHO, I think that's pretty good.

Now, I've read a few threads about the GT3076R as the next step after the 20G-9 in the Buschur Racing turbo line.

My last question that I'm sure will bring some blasting is...

3. Is there a difference in feeling between two identically set-up cars with one car having the FP3065 and the other having the GT3076R both tuned at 24psi?
Old May 22, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I'm curious how long the stocker will last at 27 psi. It doesn't seem like many people are running that much boost for extended periods.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

/\ if the tune done correctly and not aggressive I dont see the prolem, and yes 27 lbs is on alky and I dont see more than 15-20 lbs more than 2-3 times a week....
Old May 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Scared huh? All for the sake of my ego, I wouldn't say "scared". I'd say that it's more of a "why test my ego" feeling with the GT35R sitting at my disposal. I'm still wedged between the Buschur Racing turbo kits. This is one headache that I'm grateful for. Here are a few thoughts that I'm battling right now:

1. Does the 20G-9 have the ability of flowing to redline?
2. Is the GT3076R turbo kit ($2900) worth the $700 difference between the 20G-9 with installation kit ($2200)? If so,
3. Is the difference in spool between the GT3076R and the FP3065 worth going with the FP3065 considering both are priced the same?

What goals am I looking to accomplish?

Scared of the lag, not the power. People always fear the lag. The GT3076R would SOUNDLY beat the 20G-9 on pump gas. Race gas it would get even worse.

If you are just on 93 and ONLY 93, get a BB 50Trim, perfect street turbo by far.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Scared of the lag, not the power. People always fear the lag. The GT3076R would SOUNDLY beat the 20G-9 on pump gas. Race gas it would get even worse.

If you are just on 93 and ONLY 93, get a BB 50Trim, perfect street turbo by far.
I want to stay loyal to the Buschur Racing turbo line. They were good to me while I was in Iraq. I see your vote for the GT3076R, now to push you a step more, considering it's priced the same as the FP3065, is the difference in spool worth going this route?

NO. The GT35R is out of the question!
Old May 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, If you got the 3065R, 3076R, or the 35R, they would basically make the same WH\P on 93 Pump. The 3065 and the 35R would RUN away on race. The trouble with the 30R Garrett turbos is that they need high boost, low boost they are less efficient which is why I suggested the 50Trim.

The 3076r i guess is your choice, good for 420WHP on a Dyno Jet.
Old May 26, 2006, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

I to still can't decide. I also plan to stay loyal toethe Buschur kits. I want big power but I am also debating if the amount of mods I will have will even warant a 35R. I plan to have the same mods as listed below with the addition of bigger injectors, FMIC, Flash, and Race gas speratically or might just opt for alky. With the addition of those mods would my setup use what a 35R can potentially do or would I be better off with a smaller turbo? Then I run into the fact that I am not too fond of Hybrids which the 3065 is.... So I want to stay with a turbo that is all one piece.. LOL Not a mix of them. I have read the hybrids don't last as long as the none hybrids but then again who knows? HELP! :P MY goal is around 500WHP can my setup with a 35R produce those numbers?
Old May 26, 2006, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

/\ on race gas and 28-30 lbs it will.....on a dynojet

Quick Reply: To GT35R or FP3065 ???? choices, decisions....