Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tilton from a honda, Will it fit in an evo 9?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tilton from a honda, Will it fit in an evo 9?

Hi all, this is actually my 1st post on this forum. I just purchased an 06 GSR SSL package yesterday and have barely put any miles on it. I am reading as much as I can on this forum to learn more about evos. My last car was a 600hp acura integra that got totalled not to long ago. I plan on taking parts from the integra and putting it on the evo, like clutch, turbo, wastegate, injectors, and what ever else I can use from my setup to go on the evo. I tried doing a search but no luck. My question is will my tilton clutch from my integra fit onto a tilton evo fly wheel? I know I will have to get a new fly wheel and throw out bearing assembly from tilton but can I use the actual clutch that i have from my integra to work with my evo. Someone once told me that tilton clutches for imports are alike and that they only change out the fly wheel and the hydraulic throw out bearing assembly, is this true or was someone blowing smoke up my ***? I searched to see tilton clutch pictures and they look identical to mines. There are numbers on the clutch which I thought was a part number but I see with other tilton clutches for integra, they all have different numbers so I am assuming it's a serial number rather than a part number. Is there a part number somewhere else on the actually clutch assembly? I tried emailing tilton 4-5 days ago but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Here are pictures of my tilton clutch when I first got it for my integra. Maybe someone can tell me if it looks different from the evo clutches.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i highly doubt it will work in the evo....i know when i compared the exedy twin that was in my gsr powered hatch to an exedy twin goin into my buddies evo they were not even close to being interchangeable...maybe tilton is different but i doubt it

Last edited by reactionevo8; Apr 2, 2006 at 04:46 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

I just want to see what the difference is. I want to hear from tilton owners and what they have seen and compared.. I think exedy takes a different approach to designing their clutches because they don't require a hydraulic throw out bearing for their clutches(I'm assuming this, please correct me if I am wrong about exedy) where as tilton changes out their flywheels and throw out bearing on each car applications.

Last edited by Top_End_EVO; Apr 2, 2006 at 04:54 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the evo clutch system is a pull type system, where the TOB snapes into the center hub of the pressure plate.
it looks like you have the push type system.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

All Tilton's change the pull to push so that is a good thing but thay do make a clutch for the car so just call them up good guy's over there.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah thats what I thought also... I seen pictures of tilton clutches for evo's on searches on this forum and they all seem like push type configuration. I figured thats why it came with it's own release bearing kit...

Last edited by Top_End_EVO; Apr 2, 2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well on the exedy i know the biggest difference was the overall diameter of the pressure plate between the evo and the b-series application...the evo was much much larger and the flywheel was also much heavier on the evo application....hopefully in your case tilton has a more universal style pressure plate then exedy because you could save a nice chunk of $$$ reusing old parts from your other car
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

thats what I am hoping... I have a gt37/67 turbo, tial 44mm wastegate, precision 750hp intecooler and 1000cc injectors on my integra and plan to run it on my evo and try to hit 700hp on it. I hope the tilton has a universal style pressure plate and all they change is the surface area where the clutch hits the flywheel therefore making it simple for me to just switch fly wheels to make this work on my car..

Last edited by Top_End_EVO; Apr 2, 2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Everyone is forgetting the splines...

If the clutch is unused, I'd see if Tilton would swap you out for whatever fee/price difference. Bet it will come out to a lot less than what you are trying to do.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

the splines don't look different to me.. maybe i could be wrong. I got to try to call them monday and see if it works.. if it does, i'll save a bunch of money. (on my car insurance by switching to gieco)
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Top_End_EVO
the splines don't look different to me.. maybe i could be wrong. I got to try to call them monday and see if it works.. if it does, i'll save a bunch of money. (on my car insurance by switching to gieco)
I don't know that they are different... but no one mentioned it. If you have to replace the flywheel, my suggestion still might be to your advantage. Good luck.

Last edited by Zeus; Apr 2, 2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Contact Tilton (good folks) and they can probably work something out with swaping the hubs on the discs (yes the splines are indeed different) and getting you the right flywheel and slave cylinder to make it work.