Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bolted up a 20g-9.....untuned !!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EFIxMR
nice job! when your car is tuned with more boost on pump the gains will be even better. my car runs 23 psi boost spike which tapers to 18 psi on 91 octane on the 05' turbo. once you get your car tuned try 1-2 psi more on

pump.

Thanks EFIxMR,

I'll see after I get tuned how much more I can boost. Then do some runs and report back.

Wow...23 psi on 91 ?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

The car is not even tuned. Everyone knows how important tuning is for any car. Everyone should wait to critisize at least until the car is tuned.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok take this for critism then.

He has the stock turbo in it, he sees 11.3 AFR

He puts a new turbo in it that should flow more air, and has the same AFR

The turbo isn't pushing more air, case closed. If the turbo had the ability to make power, the AFR would have gone lean.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Uh...am I the only one that sees this?

He trapped 111.0

He added a fmic and a 20g9 turbo and picked up 2mph.

That's a lot of money for 2mph

I am not tuned for these 2 mods. Hopefully after I get tuned I will have some substantial gains.

I know it's alot of money but you only live once. And the Wife said it was o.k.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ok take this for critism then.

He has the stock turbo in it, he sees 11.3 AFR

He puts a new turbo in it that should flow more air, and has the same AFR

The turbo isn't pushing more air, case closed. If the turbo had the ability to make power, the AFR would have gone lean.

Al's tune was 11.0-11.1 afr not 11.3

I don't think I'm pushing more air because I haven't raised the boost. I'm probably pushing the air efficiently though compared the the stock 03.
Pushing more air won't neccecarilly lean afr's out if the ECU can still compensate .

I am making a little more power hence the higher trap speed at the same boost level.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The key point in your response was that Ted B went from a TME to a 20g-9-6. This guy went from a stock 03 turbo to a 20g-9-6. He didn't go from a TME...the TME is like an 05 (10.5 hotside) but with the Ti/Al internals. I think Nad would have seen the same gains, if not more, from installing a TME without the FMIC upgrade.
BINGO.

I ran a 12.0 @ 117 with the 6-blade 20G. This is misleading, because it did no better peak power-wise than my TME, but required more boost to get there. Of course someone upgrading from a stock EVO 8 turbo wouldn't realize that he would get about the same peak power had he just added a $250 hotside to his stock turbo. Those are my findings, and where the difference is unmistakably obvious is on the street, not at the drags.

The fault I quickly found with the 6-blade 20G is in that I saw it run out of efficiency faster than does a plain EVO8 16G w/10.5. This is not as much an issue at the moderate boost levels we get from 5000rpm on up (which is what we see on the drag strip). Below 5000rpm however, it sucked as compared to what I typically see from a plain old 16G with 10.5 hotside. The BIG torque peak that one gets from running up the boost on a 16G in the midrange doesn't happen (down 50 ft/lbs in my case), and raising it made no difference. But again, unless one already had an opportunity to drive a car running 25 psi on race fuel or meth and making BIG torque in the midrange, he'd never know what's missing. Oh yeah, I lost 300rpm of spool time as compared to my TME.

I just received a PM from another person running a 6-blade 20G. He says: "I took off the 20g a put back in the 16g and the car drives alot better. It is a big difference when the boost comes on and the transient response." He's upgrading to the 5-blade wheel. I urged him to post his experiences as soon as he does.

This is consistent with my findings, which is why I urge extreme caution if consdering a 6-blade 20G. YMMV, but I highly doubt it. Caveat emptor

Last edited by Ted B; Apr 2, 2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
The point of a MAF is to meter fuel based on air flow, so more air doesn't automatically make the car go leaner.

Also, more boost doesn't necessarily mean that the car runs leaner as you implied above. It may be that your car is tuned that way, but it really comes down to the way the car has been tuned. Some tunes intentionally lean out with more boost, as seen by the MAP sensor, so that they suit both lower boost pump gas (rich AFR) and higher boost race gas (lean AFR). Other tunes keep the same AFR as you add boost, or even go richer. It depends on the tuning approach.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:30 PM
Fomer Vendor

So you can make the 20g work without the install kit? Hum, that would save some money. Are the outlets the same diameter?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
The point of a MAF is to meter fuel based on air flow, so more air doesn't automatically make the car go leaner.
I've had my car tuned by TurboTrix and I've tuned it myself using an ECU+ and everything seemed relative. The more boost you threw at the motor, the more the AFR's went lean. If I'm not mistaken the MAF sends it's voltage and the ECU dictates between throttle position, and variables like that. Considering the car has no MAP there is no way for the ecu to see boost levels.

Also, more boost doesn't necessarily mean that the car runs leaner as you implied above.
If you could provide some proof for this I would appreciate it. I'm not saying you're incorrect, I've just never heard of such a thing, so I would like to read up on it.

It may be that your car is tuned that way, but it really comes down to the way the car has been tuned. Some tunes intentionally lean out with more boost, as seen by the MAP sensor
What map sensor?

so that they suit both lower boost pump gas (rich AFR) and higher boost race gas (lean AFR). Other tunes keep the same AFR as you add boost, or even go richer. It depends on the tuning approach.
Never heard of a tune that will adjust for different types of fuel.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sho 'um
So you can make the 20g work without the install kit? Hum, that would save some money. Are the outlets the same diameter?
Used all stock 8 oil/coolant lines even the lower pipe.

Everything bolted up fine with few bending on the lines to line up.

Cost me $ 0 . Extra 30 min. on the install.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW

Also, more boost doesn't necessarily mean that the car runs leaner as you implied above. It may be that your car is tuned that way, but it really comes down to the way the car has been tuned. Some tunes intentionally lean out with more boost, as seen by the MAP sensor, so that they suit both lower boost pump gas (rich AFR) and higher boost race gas (lean AFR). Other tunes keep the same AFR as you add boost, or even go richer. It depends on the tuning approach.
Exactly. And my guess is that his tune was designed to go richer at higher flow rates for safety in anticipation of boost spikes causing detonation.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I've had my car tuned by TurboTrix and I've tuned it myself using an ECU+ and everything seemed relative. The more boost you threw at the motor, the more the AFR's went lean. If I'm not mistaken the MAF sends it's voltage and the ECU dictates between throttle position, and variables like that. Considering the car has no MAP there is no way for the ecu to see boost levels.
Wrong. The MAF sends voltage signals to the ECU based on airflow over the maf. Car doesn't need a MAP sensor in it. how you think the stock ECU hits boost cut(maf cut) when you hit 22-23psi?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, to be clear, the MAF doesn't cut fuel at a certain boost. The airflow max can be reached at lower or higher boost levels depending on mods, the turbo itself, and air density. Some people hit it at 20psi...others at 25psi...others never (like me).
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

yes, its not boost, but the ECUs best guess at a boost level based on voltage.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

im not sure if im disappointed in this turbo yet, but i am glad that someone finally bolted this turbo on a evo with bolt on parts and running pump gas. I would really like to see the final dyno for this after its tuned.

Quick Reply: Bolted up a 20g-9.....untuned !!