Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me diagnose this oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me diagnose this oil leak?

OK, here's the most frustrating impossible question ever. I've been in Iraq for months and call the girflriend to check on the EVO and oh yeah...her. She drives it easy every week or so to keep it breathing. She says "the Evo is leaking oil all over the garage floor". How much? "A lot..enough to flow all the way behind the front tire". I have her check the eng oil and she says the level is "between the holes on the stick". I ask is the oil on the deck dirty brown? She puts it on a white paper towel and says "yep its dirty brown".

I know it could be 10 different things, but I'd like to know based on color can I assume this is engine oil? I just had a new TRE tranny/tcase installed at the dealer with mitsu GL4/5 about 100 miles ago. Could the Tcase or tranny be leaking "dark brown" fluid? Or would you say based on that description its Mobil 1 engine oil? I thought GL4/5 was red, and doubt I could turn it brown in an easy 100ish miles of driving. But if there's so much on the ground how could the engine not be low?

I don't want her to even drive it to service without fluid in the Tcase. War is hell!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry you're having problems with your EVO.

Do you know if the oil is coming from the driver side, or passenger side?....That could help tell you if it's coming from the trans or t-case, or oil pan.

Also GL 4/ 5 is not red, but more like a gold in color. It also won't smell like motor oil, and will also be alot thicker in consistency.

But dirty brown sounds like motor oil too me.

Hope this can help your situation alittle. good luck.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the tranny/tcase fluid is brown, not red. tell her to put her finger in the oil. if it seems thick and sticky, then its trans/tcase fluid. since that was the last thing installed, i would assume thats whats leaking.