Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch for 2.3+30R?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch for 2.3+30R?

Ok guys, I am in the process of rebuilding my motor and am stuck as to what clutch to go with. I have an ACT HDSS right now, and it's starting to wear thin, my car is making 385/330 right now and I am planning on making about 420/380 or so in the future and want to know which clutch to run? The added tq is my main concern, a 30R and a 2.3 should be a pretty stout combination, so which clutch should I go with? Are there any singles that will hold this power for a decent amount of time or am I locked into buying a twin at this power level? The car isn't going to be put through any drag duty, but just a lot of street driving and some roadcourse action, so take that into consideration.

Scorke
Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

I plan on doing a 37R + 2.3L stroker, for now i'm going with a Tilton, we'll see from there. Most people like the Exedy HD.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ACT XTSS Extreme pressure plate

Exedy MM022HD heavy duty pressure plate

Tilton twindisc dual cerametallic with hydraulic release bearing and ss braided line to the master cylinder.

In price order. All in stock as if this minute, however Tiltons get backordered fast.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

What is it about the Tilton that people seem to like so much, I have read a lot of posts regarding the Exedy and for the most part people seem to be happy with it, could you compare the HD exedy to the tilton for me?

Scorke
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Any Vendors with the Exedy twin in either HD or SD form in stock, I can't wait another 6-8 weeks........

Scorke
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ats 3 Pcs Carbon Clutch
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I like the tilton on my Evo. But be careful with it I destroyed my transmission and transfer case at the same time with it.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Im doing the 2.3 with the 35r.... "sleet" good luck getting the 37r, I wanted it to from AMS and im on there waiting list with 13 other ppl ahead of me ...when its time for my build date hopefully they'll have them and if not ill stick with the 35r as Eric suggested.

Not to get off topic or steal your thread, but has anyone herd of Extreme motorsports??? I had a thread up and now its gone. Anything good or bad would be helpful
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody know the real differences between a Tilton twin disk Carbon setup vs. an RPS twin disk Carbon other than 1k price diff?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrcox
I like the tilton on my Evo. But be careful with it I destroyed my transmission and transfer case at the same time with it.

This is not the dilemma i want to have haha. My car is going to see mostly street and road course use, so I'm not really that concerned with it being able to take launches, I just want something that will hold, and last a decently long time....

If anybody that is actually running a car with a 2.3 and a non stock turbo please let me know what your running and how you like/dislike it.

Scorke
Old Apr 4, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have the ACT XTSS w/ a 2.3 + 35R. Its only pushing about 24 psi, but the clutch is holding up great. It feels like the HDSS, no chatter, smooth engagement, etc. I really like it.

However, I don't know how well it will hold up to high boost. I will find out soon enough though. I hope it does cause it feels great on the street. If not, i'm going with the Exedy trip carbon but i'm not looking forward to spending that kind of money.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah same as me, 3k for a clutch isnt exactly nice on the pocket. How much power have you been making at that level, and how many miles have you put on it? Have you tried it at all at high boost, and how many times have you launched with it thus far?

Scorke
Old Apr 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Its farily new. Only about 2000 mi on it. 4 or 5 launches and many 2nd - 5th pulls. No slipping, no burnt clutch smell, except a little on launch which is expected. No, I haven't tried it with any more then 24-25 psi.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Roger. Thanks for the info twinscrewed, its nice when evom really pays of and allows you to actually talk to people who have similar setups, appreciate your words. Im still stuck between an XTSS and a Fidenza flywheel or an Exedy twin....

Scorke
Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Im doing the 2.3 with the 35r.... "sleet" good luck getting the 37r, I wanted it to from AMS and im on there waiting list with 13 other ppl ahead of me ...when its time for my build date hopefully they'll have them and if not ill stick with the 35r as Eric suggested.

Not to get off topic or steal your thread, but has anyone herd of Extreme motorsports??? I had a thread up and now its gone. Anything good or bad would be helpful
I'm not going to order a turbo untill the end of the summer so i've got some time.